DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Height limit

FearlessRobb

Reactions
So as far as ive been able to see 400 ft is the limit. So i began to think my house is on a hill or say your half way up a mountain. It tells you how many ft you are from take off point but not total. So if i take off and head south my screen can say 300ft but further i go the farther the ground gets.
Or am i wrong and it tells you whayever ft you are in the air?
My next question is what if you think your 200ft cause thats what it says but terrain dropped a ton and now You 500ft can you get in trouble?

Reactions: emthood
So as far as ive been able to see 400 ft is the limit. So i began to think my house is on a hill or say your half way up a mountain. It tells you how many ft you are from take off point but not total. So if i take off and head south my screen can say 300ft but further i go the farther the ground gets.
My next question is what if you think your 200ft cause thats what it says but terrain dropped a ton and now You 500ft can you get in trouble?
I am having a little difficulty understanding your question, but I will try to answer to the best of my ability. 400ft is the legal limit; the drone can rise to 500m in the settings menu. Umm.. I am not sure what you are asking in the second question.

You are correct! The AGL is recorded from your take off point. The 400 feet is a recomendation,not a law carved in stone,for sport pilots. I've seen a lot of "Dustin Dunnhill's" videos where he takes off from the side of a big hill,and climbs to 17 feet,then as he fly's out he sometimes is high enough,that he is in the clouds (I wouldn't like that) and the ground is way below his drone. In one area we fly at,we are in a low spot when we take off,so when we fly out of the area,we know to add 50 feet to the reading to get "close to the correct" height. 200 feet is actually 150 feet AGL! Watch this video!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bunny Too
Worth remembering here that this is an international forum. The comments above discuss limits (or lack thereof) for the USA. It may be different in other countries.

But to answer the question, the altitude you see on your screen is the altitude AGL from your home point. If you fly down a drop or cliff, your effective AGL will probably be higher than what you see on the RC; the RC will show a negative value. Depending on where you live, you may be required to lower your altitude in order to maintain the ceiling above AGL. This isn't easy to do as you may not know the distance between your drone and the ground beneath it.

Similarly, if you hover over a mountain that is for example 300' above the home point, your effective height AGL may be much less, and you would be legal to fly to the height limits above the effective height AGL at that mountaintop. Yes, it's confusing at first.

Reactions: Bunny Too
Worth remembering here that this is an international forum. The comments above discuss limits (or lack thereof) for the USA. It may be different in other countries.

But to answer the question, the altitude you see on your screen is the altitude AGL from your home point. If you fly down a drop or cliff, your effective AGL will probably be higher than what you see on the RC; the RC will show a negative value. Depending on where you live, you may be required to lower your altitude in order to maintain the ceiling above AGL. This isn't easy to do as you may not know the distance between your drone and the ground beneath it.

Similarly, if you hover over a mountain that is for example 300' above the home point, your effective AGL may be much less, and you would be legal to fly to the height limits above the effective AGL at that mountaintop. Yes, it's confusing at first.
Very well said @pixl thank you.

Reactions: pixl
For a complete noob...

AGL = Above Ground Level.

That literally means, the distance between the ground and the aircraft at the aircraft's current position. Which in the US, for drones, can't exceed 400 feet.

If you start flying away from the coast and up in the mountains (I'm at 5,000 feet) then it comes into play a lot. If you launch off a mountain top and fly 1/4 mile out, still eye level with you, you can easily be over 400' AGL and technically breaking the law.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
For a complete noob...

AGL = Above Ground Level.

That literally means, the distance between the ground and the aircraft at the aircraft's current position. Which in the US, for drones, can't exceed 400 feet.

If you start flying away from the coast and up in the mountains (I'm at 5,000 feet) then it comes into play a lot. If you launch off a mountain top and fly 1/4 mile out, still eye level with you, you can easily be over 400' AGL and technically breaking the law.
Thanks, oversight on my part...using aviation acronyms when trying to help new flyers. Thanks for the clarification :)

You can fly as high as you want if you're flying as a hobbyist. 400ft is not the law. I've flown 2 miles up and there is nothing illegal about that :)

You can fly as high as you want if you're flying as a hobbyist. 400ft is not the law. I've flown 2 miles up and there is nothing illegal about that :)
Arr you sure. I thought the guidlines are below 400 ft as a model aircraft. I know people are going to say that's guidelines not the law but the guy line State 400 feet so if you go above 400 feet they could consider you a commercial pilot couldn't day and then fine you because you don't have your 107 or am I just overlooking it weird

Arr you sure. I thought the guidlines are below 400 ft as a model aircraft. I know people are going to say that's guidelines not the law but the guy line State 400 feet so if you go above 400 feet they could consider you a commercial pilot couldn't day and then fine you because you don't have your 107 or am I just overlooking it weird

No. Commercial flights require you to be compensated for your flight, not based on where/when you fly. Recreational/hobbyist flights are not restricted to <400ft AGL period.

I know in the UK its a recommendation unless drone is over 7kg at that point it becomes law

No. Commercial flights require you to be compensated for your flight, not based on where/when you fly. Recreational/hobbyist flights are not restricted to <400ft AGL period.
When you say "commercial flights" are you stating under part 107? If you are you're wrong. I could operate under 107 in conjunction with my business (no compensation) or utlizing my drone as a tool for my business or occupation. If you're certificated under 107 you could do test flights and other ops that will be in conjunction with your 107 registered sUAV. Lastly, if you're flying over 400' (and starting off in class G airspace) you cannot fly in controlled airspace without authorization.

All I said is that hobbyists do not have a height limit. 107s of course do have a different set of rules.

All I said is that hobbyists do not have a height limit. 107s of course do have a different set of rules.

They do if they enter class A, B, C, D or E or higher airspace. In most places in the US Class E starts at 1,200' AGL.

They do if they enter class A, B, C, D or E or higher airspace. In most places in the US Class E starts at 1,200' AGL.

Please feel free to post a link to this restriction... and not a restriction that applies only to manned aircraft. Thanks.

Please feel free to post a link to this restriction... and not a restriction that applies only to manned aircraft. Thanks.

We beat this to death many times.

Under FAR 1 your drone is considered an aircraft. The FAA CAN and WILL violate you if you enter controlled airspace (without authorization) with your drone (aircraft) as it is seen as a potential hazard within the NAS. Aside from the FARs one should also be familiar with the Flight Standards Information Management System

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=8900.1,Vol.16,Ch4,Sec4

16-4-4-11 ACTION. The FAA could apply several regulations in 14 CFR part 91 when determining whether to take enforcement action against a model aircraft operator for endangering the NAS. Part 91 regulations are the baseline rules that apply to ALL AIRCRAFT operated in the United States with limited exceptions, and are the appropriate rules to apply when evaluating model aircraft operations. When determining which rules are relevant to model aircraft operations, inspectors should consider:

· How the aircraft is operated;

· Operating rules for designated airspace; and

· Special restrictions such as TFRs and Notices to Airmen (NOTAM).

A. Operation Rules. Rules addressing operation of the aircraft may include prohibitions on careless or reckless operation and dropping objects so as to create a hazard to persons or property. Refer to part 91, §§ 91.13 through 91.15. Additionally, § 91.113 establishes right-of-way rules for converging aircraft. Model aircraft that do not comply with those rules could be subject to FAA enforcement action.

B. Designated Airspace Rules. Rules governing operations in designated airspace are found in §§ 91.126 through 91.135. In general, those rules establish requirements for operating in the various classes of airspace, and near airports in non-designated airspace to minimize risk of collision in higher traffic airspace. Generally, if an operator is unable to comply with the regulatory requirements for operating in a particular class of airspace, the operator would need authorization from ATC to operate in that area. Operations within restricted areas designated in 14 CFR part73 would be prohibited without permission from the using or controlling agency. Accordingly, as part of the requirements for model aircraft operations within 5 miles of an airport set forth in section 336(a)(4) of PL 112-95, the FAA would expect modelers operating model aircraft in airspace covered by §§ 91.126 through 91.135 and part 73 to obtain authorization from ATC prior to operating.

Last edited:
We beat this to death many times.

Under FAR 1 your drone is considered an aircraft. The FAA CAN and WILL violate you if you enter controlled airspace (without authorization) with your drone (aircraft) as it is seen as a potential hazard within the NAS. Aside from the FARs one should also be familiar with the Flight Standards Information Management System

We have. I don't see where you posted/linked to the specific restrictions that you mentioned.

A drone is considered an aircraft only in that it can be regulated by the FAA. There is obviously a difference between manned aircraft and a drone as an aircraft. I think it's also obvious that a drone does not need to follow all of the same regulations as a manned aircraft. The FAA can feel free to consider some type of drone flight as unsafe but the regulations you mentioned don't apply to a drone, only manned aircraft.

We have. I don't see where you posted/linked to the specific restrictions that you mentioned.

A drone is considered an aircraft only in that it can be regulated by the FAA. There is obviously a difference between manned aircraft and a drone as an aircraft. I think it's also obvious that a drone does not need to follow all of the same regulations as a manned aircraft. The FAA can feel free to consider some type of drone flight as unsafe but the regulations you mentioned don't apply to a drone, only manned aircraft.

This has NOTHING to do with "manned" or "unmanned" aircraft. You're making assumption off you own opinions.

I posted everything that explains this including the guidance the FAA "police" will use in a violation case. I've only been in this business for 40 years and am also an FAA safety counselor, so i think I know a little about this. I'm the messenger here and if you don't want to believe this, so be it. I'm telling you this comes DIRECTLY from the FAA.

Again I quote their guidance....

16-4-4-11 ACTION. The FAA could apply several regulations in 14 CFR part 91 when determining whether to take enforcement action against a model aircraft operator for endangering the NAS. Part 91 regulations are the baseline rules that apply to ALL AIRCRAFT operated in the United States with limited exceptions, and are the appropriate rules to apply when evaluating model aircraft operations.

Last edited:
This has NOTHING to do with "manned" or "unmanned" aircraft. You're making assumption off you own opinions.

I posted everything that explains this including the guidance the FAA "police" will use in a violation case. I've only been in this business for 40 years and am also an FAA safety counselor. I'm the messenger here and if you don't want to believe this, so be it. I'm telling you this comes DIRECTLY from the FAA.

Again I quote their guidance....

16-4-4-11 ACTION. The FAA could apply several regulations in 14 CFR part 91 when determining whether to take enforcement action against a model aircraft operator for endangering the NAS. Part 91 regulations are the baseline rules that apply to ALL AIRCRAFT operated in the United States with limited exceptions, and are the appropriate rules to apply when evaluating model aircraft operations.

What you posted was general information that a drone cannot interfere with manned aircraft. Nothing about a specific altitude limit in Class A, B, C, D or E airspace.

What you are saying is that the FAA may (or may not) consider a drone in NAS as a safety issue. I agree with that 100%. However, there is not set altitude limit mentioned that a hobby flier cannot exceed by law. That is what you had stated:

PDXteriors said:
All I said is
that hobbyists do not have a height limit. 107s of course do have a different set of rules.

FLYBOYJ said:

There is no altitude limit on hobby flight. The FAA may (or may not)consider anyone's flight unsafe at any time. This is not a specific height limit.

"There is no altitude limit on hobby flight."

And I'm telling you you're 100% WRONG!

You can very easily enter controlled airspace that is underlying an airport in many parts of the country and that's just for starters. Class A airspace starts at 18,000 feet, where's your transponder???

You need to understand that airspace not only runs horizontally but vertically!!!

The FAA will use Part 91 requirements to violate someone with a drone operating in controlled airspace.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom