DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Height restriction!

Buddy PR

Reactions
Both my Mavic air and my Mavic Zoom are up to date with the latest firmware but I have more restrictions on my Mavic zoom.
I can’t go over 396 feet with my Mavic zoom but I have no height restrictions on my Mavic air. I haven’t tried neither of them on a no fly zone.
I was wondering why is that? also if there is a firmware update I could downgrade to take the height restriction away from my Mavic zoom ?

I fly a lot from the lower part of a valley where I live, still 1200ft above sea level mind. I often fly up the valley sides to near the top where there are things to see. This means over riding the 120m height restriction on my mavic pro and going to around 1000ft above take off point whilst still being only 50 to 100ft above ground level. Interesting legal point?
I've often flown my own light aircraft up here and would be commiting suicide if I flew anywhere near where I fly my Mavic.

Reactions: Buddy PR
I live in the mountains (community goes up a mountain slope) and I got this warning the other day while flying. I just updated as well on my mavic air. I noticed now that my home is in a grey area restricted to 100 feet which is crazy since I am beyond 5 miles from the airport which has the low altitude FAA authorization which at the far radius is 200 feet and if any plane was flying at 400 feet it would crash right into a mountain. I can no longer even climb up the mountain slopes and am very upset with this DJI move.

I am guessing a firmware downgrade will fix this also I came here looking for the same answer. I am part 107 and am aware of all the laws and regulations and see no reason why DJI should add an extension grey area beyond the 5 miles.

Reactions: Buddy PR
It strikes me that you have far more restrictions for drones in the usa than we have here in the uk. I’m sure our authorities will soon catch up!

I rolled back the firmware to 1.04.0100, I also applied a fix to replace the NFZ with an empty folder. When I connected using the controller and ipad i was promoted to update the NFZ on my Mavic. But I noticed the NFZ database has two parts one on the drone and the other in the application, so the question is which one has the control? On my ipad it still shows the grey altitude restricted zone but if I turn off my wifi on the ipad all NFZ zones go away. Tomorrow morning I will try with my ipad wifi off first, then with it on.

My purpose for doing this is to be able to legally fly up to 400 feet in a zone they have mapped off as a limited altitude, if this does not work I will try the modded DJI go apps next.

After a few days of bad weather, I was able to test out. I downgraded to 1.4.100 and then applied a wipe to the NFZ file on the drone following a youtube guide. The application shows the restrictions but just gives me a warning now and the drone has no issue flying beyond the low altitude limit DJI put on around my house, that previously was not there. (this is not a hack to allow beyond 1,500 feet or whatever the max is, but just a workaround to DJI altitude limits.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FredFulf