DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Helicopter crashes in only open space

A heli can be stalled just like an airplane can be stalled by operating error - the difference I'm talking about is a design that generally allows the rotating blades of a helicopter to cut off its own tail. I have no idea if that applies to few, many or all helicopters, but I find that shocking.
The simpler drone-based multicopter design is just much better the way I see it because you can have a much higher level of redundancy. Range is still a big issue with batteries, but a hybrid combination can (and likely will ) address that.
Of course they can be stalled, and that is why I said that it is always pilot error unless there is catastrophic parts failure, which is very rare, compared to pilot error, in all flying machines.

A helicopter relies on rotor speed and blade pitch to fly safely. The blades are the wings of a fixed wing. Again on a fixed wing for lift you need forward speed and correct angle of attack. Mess those up and you might be heading for trouble. Chopping a tail boom applies to most helicopters if not flown within design parameters. All aircraft have strict design parameters that the pilots must adhere to, in order to keep things safe.

A Hybrid drone changes everything, so I doubt if it would be practical. A Hybrid means you need an engine as well plus gearing and suddenly you have a whole lot more complication and most importantly, added weight. Image the weight of the gearing, the engine, the manifold, exhaust pipes, muffler and fuel on top of the batteries and electric motors. I doubt we will ever see a Hybrid drone.

Robinson helicopters also have a separate section of operating regulations, commonly referred to as SFAR73. They are very sensitive to low G maneuvers and mast bumping. The main rotor blades striking the tail is something that I've heard has happened in the past. Losing that section of the tail creates a very nose heavy weight and balance situation that is pretty much impossible to recover from. As a commercial helicopter pilot, this is a terrifying thing to see.

Of course they can be stalled, and that is why I said that it is always pilot error unless there is catastrophic parts failure, which is very rare, compared to pilot error, in all flying machines.

A helicopter relies on rotor speed and blade pitch to fly safely. The blades are the wings of a fixed wing. Again on a fixed wing for lift you need forward speed and correct angle of attack. Mess those up and you might be heading for trouble. Chopping a tail boom applies to most helicopters if not flown within design parameters. All aircraft have strict design parameters that the pilots must adhere to, in order to keep things safe.

A Hybrid drone changes everything, so I doubt if it would be practical. A Hybrid means you need an engine as well plus gearing and suddenly you have a whole lot more complication and most importantly, added weight. Image the weight of the gearing, the engine, the manifold, exhaust pipes, muffler and fuel on top of the batteries and electric motors. I doubt we will ever see a Hybrid drone.

Basically a flying wing but this little guy of course carries no passengers like the Osprey.

Takes off like a quad but surveys like an airplane. Some hour long flying because flying wing is really efficient, solving a problem of hybrid between quad and efficient flier.

Watch Dan Gryders YouTube video on this. This crash was caused by the main rotor hitting the tail or the chain system that spins the tail rotor coming undone from over speeding.
I don't seem to be able to find that one.

There is a flight simulator version of it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d