DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Helicopter Identification

wwohp

Reactions
anyone recognize this model of helicopter? It flew over my property last month around 300ft. I was flying about 250ft with my MP and was able to take this image.

Attachments

• Helicopter_MP.jpg
    Helicopter_MP.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 645
He looks higher than 300’
The camera lens makes it look higher, he was 300-350ft tops. Ex Navy with many years on a flight deck and skydiver. I'm very familiar with altitudes.

...he was well past me when I took this image and I took it blindly. My main concern was to get out of the way as best I could.

Reactions: Former Member
I'm trying to match up the tail section and it's angle with another helo

Attachments

• Helicopter_102.jpg
    Helicopter_102.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 185
I am no Heli expert, but my first thought was Coast Guard MH-60 version.

It's hard to see the coloring on it, looks Army but too far to tell.

Looks exactly like a Black Hawk to me. Isn't the apparent stockiness just a function of the angle of the photo?

Yes, and look at the tail boom. Very thin almost like a sharks tail. But like you said, prob the angle of the shot.

This could be your weapons pod:

Blackhawk_004.jpg Blackhawk closeup.jpg

Reactions: Callum
This is what it reminds me of. But then Red Dawn was recently on.

mi_35_datasheet_main_picture_640_001.jpg

I worked on the Blackhawk in the Army (along with the OH-58D, UH-1 and Apache). You're right, it does look "stockier" than the Blackhawk, but still very much military.

Reactions: codydoerfler
I worked on the Blackhawk in the Army (along with the OH-58D, UH-1 and Apache). You're right, it does look "stockier" than the Blackhawk, but still very much military.

Hey @Amarand do they make they Blackhawk in both gunship and slick versions? I think they did for the UH-1. In any case, could those pods in the OP's picture be used for carrying external fuel tanks for extended range? Could a Blackhawk be fitted as a gunship and also carry external fuel tanks?

The picture below looks like the OPs picture from the way the pods extend from the top of the helicopter. In the OPs picture, the pods look empty.

Blackhawk gunship.jpg

Last edited:
If the OP was in Russia, it might be an MI-35. However, most MI-35's have either retracts or tricycle gear, and the OPs main gear seem to be further forward than an MI-35's, and unless he was coming in for an approach, the gear would be retracted.possibly making it a tail wheel configuration.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FredFulf