DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello FAA (or Nat'l Equalivent) or . . . Confessions Are Good For The Soul

Very well said. However I disagree with your “Morale of the Story” statement. Stating that if you break the rules, don’t post about it somehow implies it is OK to break the rules as long as you don’t tell anyone. My view is we should all obey ALL of the rules. Then perhaps more rules won’t be implemented and fewer NFZs will be created.

Very well said. However I disagree with your “Morale of the Story” statement. Stating that if you break the rules, don’t post about it somehow implies it is OK to break the rules as long as you don’t tell anyone. My view is we should all obey ALL of the rules. Then perhaps more rules won’t be implemented and fewer NFZs will be created.
The true morale should have been “Don’t break the rules!” It is perfectly fine to question them. Unfortunately, there will always be rogues no matter the subject.

Reactions: TampaTC
Theres always going to be outlaws no matter how many rules and laws we make the criminals will always say screw the laws and we the rule followers suffer for it. Just a fact of life. :(

Reactions: TampaTC
Theres always going to be outlaws no matter how many rules and laws we make the criminals will always say screw the laws and we the rule followers suffer for it. Just a fact of life. :(

This is the crux of the matter. Despite all our best intentions we cannot completely regulate human behavior.

Reactions: old man mavic
our differences,from each other are something that has been going on since man and woman populated the earth, and no matter how many rules, regulations ,and laws ,are made there will always be those who choose to ignore them to a lesser or greater extent.

drone flying is no different to any other form of recreational or commercial operation, that requires a certain level of knowledge and expertise to master, i think we should stop beating ourselves up when certain individuals flout the rules, and just concentrate on making sure that we fly within them, it is sad that a small minority spoil things for the many, but that is the way for many things in life we just have to accept that

L
our differences,from each other are something that has been going on since man and woman populated the earth, and no matter how many rules, regulations ,and laws ,are made there will always be those who choose to ignore them to a lesser or greater extent.

drone flying is no different to any other form of recreational or commercial operation, that requires a certain level of knowledge and expertise to master, i think we should stop beating ourselves up when certain individuals flout the rules, and just concentrate on making sure that we fly within them, it is sad that a small minority spoil things for the many, but that is the way for many things in life we just have to accept that
Agree. Studies in the U.S. (general studies of human decision making) have shown that it is the probability of getting caught, rather than the penalty, that discourages folks like those you mentioned from breaking a rule.
Bad part is that their actions simply result in proliferation of rules and increasingly draconian penalties for everyone.

It really does give me humor and horror when I read and realize how many pilots out there, (in the many wonderful lands around the globe), lend themselves to self confession. Examples are varied and many of the violations. Violations either by mistake or on purpose. Violations such as "I did a VLOS flight of (exaggerated) 23 miles and never lost sight." "What is your longest?" "Here's my video of my drone flying over a car/truck/ship/train loaded with a highly explosive substance, and clearly marked hazardous material." "I placed strobes on my Mavic Air so now I can maintain VLOS up to 45 miles away." How about the videos posted that show the DRONE takeoff from point A, fly over 3 or 4 city blocks, across the river, trees, buildings, etc, and the pilot expects us to believe they maintained VLOS the whole time.

I have to sit back and laugh at these self confessions. It seemingly is sending a message to the FAA (or respective national authority) and saying, "I know what the rules are but I just have to prove I don't care!" And so, these individuals that proclaim to be responsible pilots start a thread and/or post a video bragging of their inability to fly within the limits of the law. And, some even go further and encourage others to violate the law as well by asking "Have you tried this bypass?" or "How far can you go?", or "How can I still fly in the TFZ when I am 15 miles away?", etc, etc!

Should we NOT, as members of this FORUM, be open to display ourselves as responsible, lawful pilots? Should we not be encouraging other to promote the drone community as a responsible entity. One which has the public drone industry first and foremost in mind by promoting a safe and responsible environment of piloting by ourselves and all others. Should we not condemn the FAA (others) for placing more and more strict rules of flying, when we ourselves cannot abide by the rules set forth already? As members of the drone industry, we should be able to point out, to others, the mistakes and infractions of simple and blatant violations! If I am making a mistake, or more clearly violating the law, when I am flying, please tell me, so I may correct the inappropriate action. Help me to become a better pilot. Be gentle, but firm. Let me know specifically what I did wrong and why it was wrong! I can take it. If not, I have a blanket and pacifier and I know where the corner of the room is! Been there, done that!

Do NOT be condemning of others for responding to the violations of a pilot that has posted obvious violations, as they are attempting to correct a wrong! Often, those persons are trying to help the forum as a whole by letting all know of the errors. Do NOT condemn the pilot for making an error the pilot may not be aware of! The forum should be a place where we can all exchange ideas and encourage each other to grow. We should NOT condemn and crucify another for their errors, but rather help them grow. Let others know of their mistakes, their errors, their violations. Do NOT be afraid to cite the offense and offer corrective action.

DOES BIG BROTHER WATCH AND READ? FAR TOO OFTEN WE CAN READ, ON THIS FORUM, THE SINS OF OURSELVES! HOW EASY IS IT FOR THE FAA, CAA, OTHER RESPECTIVE AGENCIES TO STOP BY AND SEE FOR THEMSELVES OUR SINS. WE ARE FAR OPEN TO BOASTING OUR SKILLS AND ABILITIES. WE OPENLY SHOW WE HAVE NO REGARD FOR THE AUTHORITY THAT GIVES US PERMISSION TO FLY (MOSTLY WITHOUT TOO MUCH CONSTRAINT). BUT, WHEN THE AUTHORITY SUGGESTS A CHANGE OR MODIFICATION TO THE RULES OF FLIGHT, WE CRY AND SCREAM AND THROW A TANTRUM AND WONDER "WHY ON EARTH DID THEY WANT TO DO THAT?" THE ANSWER WAS OBVIOUS ALL ALONG! WASN'T IT?

REMEMBER, ALL BIG BROTHER HAS TO DO IS VIEW THIS FORUM TO SEE IF MEMBERS OF THE INDUSTRY ABIDE BY RULES OR NOT. ONE DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A MEMBER TO READ, BUT TO POST!

MORALE IF THE STORY IS . . . IF YOU WISH TO DO SOMETHING THAT IS NOT ALIGNED WITH THE LAWFUL FLIGHT OF A DRONE. DO NOT POST IT FOR THE WORLD TO SEE!!!

KUDOS TO THE ADMINISTRATORS/MAINTAINERS, THEY DO A THANKLESS AND WONDERFUL JOB AT KEEP THIS FORUM ALIVE AND INFORMATIVE. MODERATORS DO NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT RESOURCES TO THOROUGHLY VIEW EACH AND EVERY POSTING/VIDEO. THERE IS MUCH MORE INVOLVED THAT PROHIBITS THEM FROM READING/REVIEWING EACH AND EVERY POSTING/VIDEO TO DETERMINE IF THE CONTENT WAS A LEGAL ACTION OR NOT. HELP THEM ALONG AND STAY WITHIN THE LIMITS OF THE LAW. IF YOU VIEW A NEW THREAD (OR POSTING) THAT YOU BELIEVE IS DEMONSTRATING ILLEGAL/WRONGFUL ACTIVITY, MESSAGE A MODERATOR! LET THEM MAKE A DECISION, THAT'S THEIR JOB!!! THAT WOULD TRULY BENEFIT ALL MEMBERS OF THE FORUM AND PROMOTE RESPONSIBILITY WITHIN THE COMMUNITY.

I ENCOURAGE EACH AND EVERY MEMBER OF THIS FORUM TO ABIDE BY THE RULES ESTABLISHED FOR SAFE FLIGHT, PROMOTE AND DEMONSTRATE A HIGH DEGREE OF RESPECT FOR THE INDUSTRY, BY SHARING THE SAFE AND LEGAL ASPECTS OF DRONE FLIGHT WITH ALL, HELPING TO KEEP THIS INDUSTRY ALIVE THROUGH ADHERENCE TO THE APPLICABLE RULES AND LAWS, AND KINDLY WARN OTHERS OF POTENTIAL VIOLATIONS AND ACTIONS TO CORRECT.

DO NOT GIVE THE FAA (OTHER ENTITIES) AMMUNITION TO RESTRICT THE INDUSTRY ANY MORE THAN IT IS!
I am curious, What do you want to come out of all this?, I read your Post and feel you want something to happen. I can't quite put my thumb on it... What Ricky would say to Lucy "DroneRanger" you got some splanening to do"

I would love to chime in here. Because I usually always have an opinion. But I must confess I am lost in this dialogue - which rarely happens to me - meaning I don’t know who to support here or who to discount. Plus I don’t think there are ANY words left to add. (The original post, itself, drained out most of the English language as I know it.)

SO...I think I’ll just stare at my modest but much-loved fleet of drones that I have instead, wishing I had more time to fly them. LAWFULLY, of course. (Just in case Big Brother IS watching. Although, right now, I believe Washington, D.C. is quite busy at the moment) [Comment removed by Admin]

Peace, my fellow pilots. Fly often, fly well, fly safe.

To be honest, I think it is not so much the ones that break the rules that hurt the positive aspects of the MavicPilots community, its those who degrade and make negative comments to other members who are trying to “guide others in understanding and following the regulations.”

Last edited:
One has to be mindful of the location of the pilot when taking the pics/videos.

Different rules/laws for locations...

We don't all live in the USA.

Onward and Upward.

Hear hear.
There are many countries and constitutions represented here, although most from the US by far.

We should simply demand a ban of recreational drone operating until the faa is properly staffed to handle the training, regulation and enforcement of it. Based on this forum, the average recreational user either doesn’t know much about the regulations or simply doesn’t care about them as they know better.
Speak for yourself pal, Remember the whole drone concept started off with recreational flyers... As far as I know part 107 is a license to earn revenue legally with a few added benefits, it's not a license that makes you a more knowledgeable and safer drone operator than me a Recreational operator...I choose not to get a part 107 because I enjoy my drone for my self pleasure. Thankyou!

Reactions: Drgnfli
It really does give me humor and horror when I read and realize how many pilots out there, (in the many wonderful lands around the globe), lend themselves to self confession. Examples are varied and many of the violations. Violations either by mistake or on purpose. Violations such as "I did a VLOS flight of (exaggerated) 23 miles and never lost sight." "What is your longest?" "Here's my video of my drone flying over a car/truck/ship/train loaded with a highly explosive substance, and clearly marked hazardous material." "I placed strobes on my Mavic Air so now I can maintain VLOS up to 45 miles away." How about the videos posted that show the DRONE takeoff from point A, fly over 3 or 4 city blocks, across the river, trees, buildings, etc, and the pilot expects us to believe they maintained VLOS the whole time.

I have to sit back and laugh at these self confessions. It seemingly is sending a message to the FAA (or respective national authority) and saying, "I know what the rules are but I just have to prove I don't care!" And so, these individuals that proclaim to be responsible pilots start a thread and/or post a video bragging of their inability to fly within the limits of the law. And, some even go further and encourage others to violate the law as well by asking "Have you tried this bypass?" or "How far can you go?", or "How can I still fly in the TFZ when I am 15 miles away?", etc, etc!

Should we NOT, as members of this FORUM, be open to display ourselves as responsible, lawful pilots? Should we not be encouraging other to promote the drone community as a responsible entity. One which has the public drone industry first and foremost in mind by promoting a safe and responsible environment of piloting by ourselves and all others. Should we not condemn the FAA (others) for placing more and more strict rules of flying, when we ourselves cannot abide by the rules set forth already? As members of the drone industry, we should be able to point out, to others, the mistakes and infractions of simple and blatant violations! If I am making a mistake, or more clearly violating the law, when I am flying, please tell me, so I may correct the inappropriate action. Help me to become a better pilot. Be gentle, but firm. Let me know specifically what I did wrong and why it was wrong! I can take it. If not, I have a blanket and pacifier and I know where the corner of the room is! Been there, done that!

Do NOT be condemning of others for responding to the violations of a pilot that has posted obvious violations, as they are attempting to correct a wrong! Often, those persons are trying to help the forum as a whole by letting all know of the errors. Do NOT condemn the pilot for making an error the pilot may not be aware of! The forum should be a place where we can all exchange ideas and encourage each other to grow. We should NOT condemn and crucify another for their errors, but rather help them grow. Let others know of their mistakes, their errors, their violations. Do NOT be afraid to cite the offense and offer corrective action.

DOES BIG BROTHER WATCH AND READ? FAR TOO OFTEN WE CAN READ, ON THIS FORUM, THE SINS OF OURSELVES! HOW EASY IS IT FOR THE FAA, CAA, OTHER RESPECTIVE AGENCIES TO STOP BY AND SEE FOR THEMSELVES OUR SINS. WE ARE FAR OPEN TO BOASTING OUR SKILLS AND ABILITIES. WE OPENLY SHOW WE HAVE NO REGARD FOR THE AUTHORITY THAT GIVES US PERMISSION TO FLY (MOSTLY WITHOUT TOO MUCH CONSTRAINT). BUT, WHEN THE AUTHORITY SUGGESTS A CHANGE OR MODIFICATION TO THE RULES OF FLIGHT, WE CRY AND SCREAM AND THROW A TANTRUM AND WONDER "WHY ON EARTH DID THEY WANT TO DO THAT?" THE ANSWER WAS OBVIOUS ALL ALONG! WASN'T IT?

REMEMBER, ALL BIG BROTHER HAS TO DO IS VIEW THIS FORUM TO SEE IF MEMBERS OF THE INDUSTRY ABIDE BY RULES OR NOT. ONE DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A MEMBER TO READ, BUT TO POST!

MORALE IF THE STORY IS . . . IF YOU WISH TO DO SOMETHING THAT IS NOT ALIGNED WITH THE LAWFUL FLIGHT OF A DRONE. DO NOT POST IT FOR THE WORLD TO SEE!!!

KUDOS TO THE ADMINISTRATORS/MAINTAINERS, THEY DO A THANKLESS AND WONDERFUL JOB AT KEEP THIS FORUM ALIVE AND INFORMATIVE. MODERATORS DO NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT RESOURCES TO THOROUGHLY VIEW EACH AND EVERY POSTING/VIDEO. THERE IS MUCH MORE INVOLVED THAT PROHIBITS THEM FROM READING/REVIEWING EACH AND EVERY POSTING/VIDEO TO DETERMINE IF THE CONTENT WAS A LEGAL ACTION OR NOT. HELP THEM ALONG AND STAY WITHIN THE LIMITS OF THE LAW. IF YOU VIEW A NEW THREAD (OR POSTING) THAT YOU BELIEVE IS DEMONSTRATING ILLEGAL/WRONGFUL ACTIVITY, MESSAGE A MODERATOR! LET THEM MAKE A DECISION, THAT'S THEIR JOB!!! THAT WOULD TRULY BENEFIT ALL MEMBERS OF THE FORUM AND PROMOTE RESPONSIBILITY WITHIN THE COMMUNITY.

I ENCOURAGE EACH AND EVERY MEMBER OF THIS FORUM TO ABIDE BY THE RULES ESTABLISHED FOR SAFE FLIGHT, PROMOTE AND DEMONSTRATE A HIGH DEGREE OF RESPECT FOR THE INDUSTRY, BY SHARING THE SAFE AND LEGAL ASPECTS OF DRONE FLIGHT WITH ALL, HELPING TO KEEP THIS INDUSTRY ALIVE THROUGH ADHERENCE TO THE APPLICABLE RULES AND LAWS, AND KINDLY WARN OTHERS OF POTENTIAL VIOLATIONS AND ACTIONS TO CORRECT.

DO NOT GIVE THE FAA (OTHER ENTITIES) AMMUNITION TO RESTRICT THE INDUSTRY ANY MORE THAN IT IS!
Yep this long aggressive with many different fonts to prove the point will never get picked up on a google search engine. So ya. You have a Pinot but isn’t this adding to it ? I think a quick wth? Are trying to do the hobby? Might have done the same thing. Lol just says my 13.5 cents Lol

On the point of questionable flying in the USA, I wonder how many UAV operators started following the FAA rules once they went from saying we suggest you follow CBO rules to you must follow the newly adopted regulations? I know I did but that was only a few months back. So if I post that I saw my drone at a mile out, it's very possible it was before the FAA cemented the rules into play.

I am curious, What do you want to come out of all this?, I read your Post and feel you want something to happen. I can't quite put my thumb on it... What Ricky would say to Lucy "DroneRanger" you got some splanening to do"
Just airing my thoughts, my friend! Just airing my thoughts!

Reactions: BigAl07
Just airing my thoughts, my friend! Just airing my thoughts!
I read your post a few more times and I guess I know where your coming from. You do make a valid point. What concerns me is this, is it possible when someone does confess their is some anti-droner out there reading the confession and they use it against us, like it ammunition in their pocket if they belong to some agency or they have some political agenda thats against drones..

Speak for yourself pal, Remember the whole drone concept started off with recreational flyers... As far as I know part 107 is a license to earn revenue legally with a few added benefits, it's not a license that makes you a more knowledgeable and safer drone operator than me a Recreational operator...I choose not to get a part 107 because I enjoy my drone for my self pleasure. Thankyou!

Regarding the bolded portion.. I disagree. Unless you are just memorizing the questions/answers (which I do realize many people do), a pilot who has passed the 107 test indeed has more knowledge than a recreational pilot that has never looked into the rules. For instance:

FAA Part 117 calls this behavior Anti-Authoritative. The antidote is Follow the Rules!

Can a rec. pilot recognize the 5 hazardous attitudes and name their antidotes? What about reading a sectional chart to understand potential dangers to flight? Does a rec. pilot know how to check for TFRs, and why you might want to do that before every flight?

I'm not saying all recreational pilots are ignorant of the rules, but many people buy a drone and expect to be able to fly it to it's full capabilities without a care in the world for safety or regulations. My view is most likely skewed as in addition to 107, I have my Commercial Cert and Instrument rating for SEL aircraft.

I read your post a few more times and I guess I know where your coming from. You do make a valid point. What concerns me is this, is it possible when someone does confess their is some anti-droner out there reading the confession and they use it against us, like it ammunition in their pocket if they belong to some agency or they have some political agenda thats against drones..
Perhaps that was part of my “rant” as well! How easy would it be for anyone to get a feel of the industry by simply reading some of the posts. A noob, as an example, could easily be looking to gain more insight in the hobby. Not being familiar with Hobbyist rules of flight, i.e., FAA, how easy would it be to lead them astray and place them in jeopardy! We should be stewards of the industry and promote an safe and knowledgeable pastime for all. Yes, there will be rogues that toss the rules out the window, that’s non-stoppable. I don’t wish to make them as enemies, but neither do I condone some of their actions. I just choose not to give them the acknowledgement for their boasts/claims/videos. Perhaps they will catch FAA attention, perhaps not!
R
Jeffrey

Reactions: old man mavic
Regarding the bolded portion.. I disagree. Unless you are just memorizing the questions/answers (which I do realize many people do), a pilot who has passed the 107 test indeed has more knowledge than a recreational pilot that has never looked into the rules. For instance:

Can a rec. pilot recognize the 5 hazardous attitudes and name their antidotes? What about reading a sectional chart to understand potential dangers to flight? Does a rec. pilot know how to check for TFRs, and why you might want to do that before every flight?

I'm not saying all recreational pilots are ignorant of the rules, but many people buy a drone and expect to be able to fly it to it's full capabilities without a care in the world for safety or regulations. My view is most likely skewed as in addition to 107, I have my Commercial Cert and Instrument rating for SEL aircraft.
gentlemen,gentlemen, this has become a contest between recreational,and commercial pilots,we should be sticking together ,not at each others throats.

couple of things drones started off as a military concept not as something for us to use ,and we all start off from the same place and decide at what level we want to operate at, whether it be recreational or commercial.

most of the differences between the two are to do with liability and accountability and the fact that payment is being given for a service,the actual act of flying the

UAV is the same but it is the recording of flight info and the need for insurance that differs from a recreational flight ,although third party cover is something we all should have.

as for the statement that having a 107 makes someone a better pilot ,does having a driving licence make someone a better driver ?
lets stop falling out amongst ourselves and all pull together to forward the case for all UAV pilots

I don’t really care how you pleasure yourself, chief. The whole manned flight concept also started off with hobbyists, you still can’t fly so much as a cub without some training.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54