DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Colorado

SanJuanTech

Reactions
Greetings from southwest Colorado 👋 Still new to drone flying but advancing rapidly. Started with an EXO Ranger and was not impressed with that so upgraded the the DJI Mini 4 Pro. Night and day difference for sure. Have been only flying for recreation, but have just finished the part 107 course and scheduled for my FAA UAG pilot certification test on the 26th of July. Not sure how much commercial work I will do, but just wanted to be prepared for it if I do.

Looking forward to getting more tips, tricks and knowledge from all you you that have been doing this far longer than I have.

Greetings from southwest Colorado 👋 Still new to drone flying

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

Since you will soon be testing for your Part 107, you do realize that no matter how small, or how light your drone may be it must be registered with at the FAADroneZone if it is used under your part 107?

Link to the FAADroneZone

Since you live in Colorado, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

You did write tht you are still new to Drone Flying so here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

You paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a puppy or kitten opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 6- feet (2-meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Fly On and Fly Safe…

Have been only flying for recreation, but have just finished the part 107 course and scheduled for my FAA UAG pilot certification test on the 26th of July.
Here is the Best Advice I can offer for preparing and taking the Part 107 Exam…

I Aced the Exam (Scored 100%) so I am not blowing "prop wash" at you…

If you read through the various posting from the members who recently taken the Part 107 Exam, you will note that many remark that the questions were framed differently from the way the Practice Exams and quizzes are worded…

They tell how they took the practice exams over and over again until they scored in the 90's… You know what that proves, they memorized the questions and that answers… Don't keep taking the exams over and over again. Review the lessons, you do not need to review each and every lesson nor the entire video.

Shotgun the review, jump all over the place, the questions on the exam are not going to be nice and neatly clumped together…

In the days leading up to the Exam, I would go through the various lessons, just to keep the information fresh. When I was ready for the exam, I did not keep going over the Pre-Exams over and over again. All you will accomplish is memorizing the questions and answers and if a similar question crops up on the Exam, you will likely jump at the answer that was similar to the Pre-Exam's answers.

Before the Exam, if possible, drive to the testing site just so you know where it is located and the parking situation. On the day of the exam, get there early, find a place to park and turn on some music to chill out (no Top Gun Maverick soundtracks…). Do not sit in the parking lot cramming, you would not be there if you were not prepared, the cramming will only confuse you.

I also went to Harbor Freight and bought one of their $1.99 magnifying glasses, it's Good Quality and large enough to see the sectional maps…

Leave all your junk in the car (phone, pager, watch, pencils, pens, etc…), But DO NOT Forget your ID, without it, you cannot test. They are very unforgiving about that…

Before you get out of the car, take a deep breath and relax. Again, leave your cell phone in your car; you cannot have it with you during the exam.

I brought some paper towels with me to use in the facilities before the exam and wash and dry my face and hands (who wants to use toilet paper to dry off…).

You have two-hours to take the exam (so much time…). When the exam starts, there are 5-questions that do not count, perhaps to calibrate the exam or to ensure you read English… Maybe just to let you cool your jets… Who knows…

You will be provided with paper, pencils, a copy of the AKT Supplement, and a magnifying glass (the one I was provided I think came out of a cereal box…). I am glad I brought my own… If you bring your own, it cannot have any electronics in it.

The testing monitor will explain everything to you; ask questions if you have any, remember, you are paying $175 for this exam…

Before you even start the exam, take one of those pieces of paper and tear off a piece and place it in the AKT on page 1-1, so the Legend is easy to find. The Legend is basically a Cheat Sheet, it contains the answers to so many questions, use it even if you are positive of the answer, check it. You do not want to miss a question because you become over-confident.

Remember that immediately after the Legend is the complete directory for the Chart Supplement (so in case they ask how far an airport is from a city, the answer is right there.).

Even though I knew my airspace inside and out, I checked it against the legend; knowing something too well might lead you to be over-confidence.

Final note about pages numbers in the AKT; remember, page numbers and figure numbers are close, but do not match. For example, Figure 25 is on page 24, don't confuse the two.

Now breath, you have two-hours and that is an awful long time.

When you do start the exam, read every question twice, I was lucky and I was the only one in the exam room and I read those questions aloud two times, it really makes a difference when you can also hear the question…

Then when you are positive of what the question is asking, try to answer it in your head and if your answer is there in the options, you probably are correct!

If you draw a complete blank, you can "mark" the question to come back to it later. Do that, a following question just might be phrased to actually answer that other question.

If you do not have any idea what the answer is, look for the most obviously wrong answers and eliminate them, then you have a better chance of getting it right…

As for going back over your exam after you are finished, I do not recommend it. It has been established that you will only "Second Guess" yourself and your original answer was your best bet.

As I wrote, I read every question two times and I still finished the exam in about 45-minutes…

It takes about 3 weeks to get the certificate.

Good Luck and remember, all Part 107 Licenses look the same; mine did not come with Gold Trim…

Good Luck!

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigben123