DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Des Moines, Iowa

SkolMavic

Reactions
Hello all, I am happy to have found teh MavicPilots forum.

I live in Des Moines, Iowa. Not a lot of topography around here, but I do have plenty of ideas in mind for my Mavic. Back in January, I started off as a drone Pilot with the Phantom 3 standard. After a repair was needed for the P3, Instead of fixing I purchased the Mavic. I wish I would have done that from the beginning.

I am looking forward to hearing from the community!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Reactions: Xanadu
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .:)

Reactions: Xanadu and Thomas B

I live in Des Moines, Iowa. Not a lot of topography around here, but I do have plenty of ideas in mind for my Mavic. Back in January, I started off as a drone Pilot with the Phantom 3 standard. After a repair was needed for the P3, Instead of fixing I purchased the Mavic. I wish I would have done that from the beginning.

Howdy from Wyoming SkolMavic, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent people here.

Thank you for the quick and kind responses. I am looking forward to being a part of a Mavic community. Where I live, drones are not super popular (yet).

Already enjoying my time here. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Iowan!

I recommend Ledges State Park as a photogenic place to shoot video that's not far from Des Moines. Madison County also is scenic, even if you don't like covered bridges.

Be aware that the Army Corps of Engineers has banned drones at Saylorville Lake.

I recommend Ledges State Park as a photogenic place to shoot video that's not far from Des Moines. Madison County also is scenic, even if you don't like covered bridges.

Be aware that the Army Corps of Engineers has banned drones at Saylorville Lake.

Hey there! The wife and I were there on Saturday - Short little 2 minute video -

Thanks for the heads up on Saylorville. I was out there flying the Phantom back in April, did not have any issues but did not upload the video to avoid any issues...

I am excited to take the drone up to Okoboji next week... have you heard of any issues flying up there? After checking the map, there are no "no-fly zones" where I plan on flying.

'sup skol, fellow des moines dweller here, last I flew at saylorville they had not posted signs yet, said they was "working on it" so you can get away with flyin there, just stay secluded at launch and be preprared to be asked to leave if the right ranger shows up.

Reactions: Thomas B
I'm gonna go out and film easter lake on the south side soon. they got it completely drained for restoration project. it's awesome seein a big lake empty so i want to check it from the air. its just so dang hot out in dsm rite now[emoji41]

Last edited:
I'm gonna go out and film easter lake on the south side soon. they got it completely drained for restoration project. it's awesome seein a big lake empty so i want to check it from the air. its just so dang hot out in dsm rite now[emoji41]

Easter Lake sounds sweet, maybe I ought to check that out. Yeah, its rather warm right now in Ankeny... can literally SEE the humidity in the air...

I am excited to take the drone up to Okoboji next week... have you heard of any issues flying up there? After checking the map, there are no "no-fly zones" where I plan on flying.
Not that I've heard. NFZs are FAA designations, so things like local restrictions (Army Corps and such) don't show up on maps. (Army Corps doesn't control Okoboji, I don't think.)

I know state parks are OK.

Hi, I live in Altoona ,and was wondering do you have any Problems flying with that dreaded GEO Fencing deal that people been complaining about on the Mavic Series ? Was thinking on buying the M2-Zoom with smart controller ,but not if it has all that crap to deal with. Thanks

Hi, I live in Altoona ,and was wondering do you have any Problems flying with that dreaded GEO Fencing deal that people been complaining about on the Mavic Series ? Was thinking on buying the M2-Zoom with smart controller ,but not if it has all that crap to deal with. Thanks

Sorry but this thread stoped in 2017 and that member hadnt
been on since August of 17. ?‍♂️

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters