DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Kentucky

Airmapper

Reactions
Hello all. If everything goes according to plan, I'll be the owner of a Mavic 2 Pro once DJI finishes up their end of the deal.

I opted for the fly more package and the ND filters. I'm not much of a photographer in my mind but I started using filters on my hand held camera and noticed a huge impact, so from that point on I've been all for trying filters.

I recently passed my Part 107 test and plan to try my hand at flying for commercial purposes. If all else fails though flying drones and photography have been things I've found interesting and enjoyed for a long time.

I really want to get into mapping, I know the Mavic is not exactly made for that but I may experiment with it.

I previously flown (and still do) fly a Blade Chroma 1080. At the moment I think I will not register it as Part 107 though, just keep it a hobby aircraft and let the Mavic be the workhorse. The Mavic will be my first experience with DJI. The urge was strong to stick with Yuneec hardware, but the Mavic seemed a better choice for starting out. Less expense, bulk, and complexity for just starting out. I'm sure my initial jobs will be more oriented toward traditional photos anyway.

Interested to learn more about the aircraft and it's capabilities here. Drones have advanced a lot since my Chroma, I'm excited to see what the Mavic can do.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forums - great place to get tips and answers to your questions. Also, the search function if an excellent place to search for the many questions a new member will have.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum :)

Hello all. If everything goes according to plan, I'll be the owner of a Mavic 2 Pro once DJI finishes up their end of the deal.

I opted for the fly more package and the ND filters. I'm not much of a photographer in my mind but I started using filters on my hand held camera and noticed a huge impact, so from that point on I've been all for trying filters.

I recently passed my Part 107 test and plan to try my hand at flying for commercial purposes. If all else fails though flying drones and photography have been things I've found interesting and enjoyed for a long time.

I really want to get into mapping, I know the Mavic is not exactly made for that but I may experiment with it.

I previously flown (and still do) fly a Blade Chroma 1080. At the moment I think I will not register it as Part 107 though, just keep it a hobby aircraft and let the Mavic be the workhorse. The Mavic will be my first experience with DJI. The urge was strong to stick with Yuneec hardware, but the Mavic seemed a better choice for starting out. Less expense, bulk, and complexity for just starting out. I'm sure my initial jobs will be more oriented toward traditional photos anyway.

Interested to learn more about the aircraft and it's capabilities here. Drones have advanced a lot since my Chroma, I'm excited to see what the Mavic can do.
Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy. And take a look at the full 70 page online only DJI manual for your bird. Get it here:

Maiden flight was today, weather finally got nice.

Compared to my Chroma, this thing is like getting out of a pickup truck and into a sports car, wow. The controls are crisp, it's steady as a rock, and it's FAST! My Chroma could scoot but only if you turned off a bunch of stuff you would rather leave on. And I only flew in P mode. I like the controller feel a lot better than the huge Yuneec box.

One gripe I had is I was testing the controller with my tablet and going back to the phone it got all mixed up and seems like I have to re-bind it a lot. It also acts like I have 2 identical accounts in the flight record area....weird. But I do like the flight log.

And the video feed cut out twice. Once in midair and the second oddly enough during landing, when it was much closer to me. It can't be a radio range issue. I'm thinking it's an app hiccup but I was annoyed it does not try to reestablish a link once it's lost. It was streaming HD I may knock that back, but it was handling it well most of the time. That could turn into a real problem if I'm trying to do any serious filming. RC control was solid, so I was okay, but that is annoying.

I really do not like the phone holder arrangement. Debating trying to set it up with my tablet instead. Maybe a long USB cord and mount the tablet on a tripod, not very handy as sometimes I'll position myself to maintain a better view of the aircraft. I run android as well so running into the well known issue of the phone draining the controller as well. Not a problem today as I only flew one battery.

A few kinks to work out, going to need more flight time for sure to get used to it but should those kinks work out I think I'm going to like this thing a lot.

Maiden flight was today, weather finally got nice.

Compared to my Chroma, this thing is like getting out of a pickup truck and into a sports car, wow. The controls are crisp, it's steady as a rock, and it's FAST! My Chroma could scoot but only if you turned off a bunch of stuff you would rather leave on. And I only flew in P mode. I like the controller feel a lot better than the huge Yuneec box.

One gripe I had is I was testing the controller with my tablet and going back to the phone it got all mixed up and seems like I have to re-bind it a lot. It also acts like I have 2 identical accounts in the flight record area....weird. But I do like the flight log.

And the video feed cut out twice. Once in midair and the second oddly enough during landing, when it was much closer to me. It can't be a radio range issue. I'm thinking it's an app hiccup but I was annoyed it does not try to reestablish a link once it's lost. It was streaming HD I may knock that back, but it was handling it well most of the time. That could turn into a real problem if I'm trying to do any serious filming. RC control was solid, so I was okay, but that is annoying.

I really do not like the phone holder arrangement. Debating trying to set it up with my tablet instead. Maybe a long USB cord and mount the tablet on a tripod, not very handy as sometimes I'll position myself to maintain a better view of the aircraft. I run android as well so running into the well known issue of the phone draining the controller as well. Not a problem today as I only flew one battery.

A few kinks to work out, going to need more flight time for sure to get used to it but should those kinks work out I think I'm going to like this thing a lot.
I use a Mav Mount 3 for my phone and tablet and love it

Reactions: Airmapper
Maiden flight was today, weather finally got nice....

Nice! Yes, I got to fly yesterday as well. FInally some decent weather around here! I was taking aerial shots of a friends farm.

Regarding your video cutting out- Ive never had that happen, even when shooting in 4k video. But I guess you could try changing the downlink quality if it keeps up. If it persists, I would start investigating or contact DJI.

Also if it cuts out for good and the drone is hard to see, orientation wise, just press and hold the RTH button until it says its returning to home. It does a good job of coming back, in my experience.

What phone or tablet are you using with the Remote Control?

What phone or tablet are you using with the Remote Control?

Yesterday had good lighting with the cloud cover, I bet you got some great photos. Landscape is a bit dull but I like how this time of year you can see the ground through the trees.

Im using a Samsung Galaxy S7 in the controller holder.

I've been having issues getting the plug to seat properly so I wonder if it wiggled and interrupted the link. It was seated when I checked but with that whole setup I'm not confident its secure.

Still though I would think DJI would have thought of that possibility and it would reconnect if the connection was restored. I need to investigate, so far I haven't spent enough time on it to find a cause.

Reactions: SqFt
It seems like a loose connection. But who knows with these fancy gadgets. If it continues to give you trouble, Id consider getting a dedicated (used) iPad Mini 4. Not trying to be an Apple fan boy but it was pretty much made for apple products, an iPad mini fits right in the controler, and the large screen is awesome.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS