DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Plano Texas

Budge

Reactions
Hi there. I just got my Mavic Pro Fly More Combo on Friday and I'm loving it.

I bought it direct from DJI and used there next day hand delivery and 1 hour flight tutorial through Enjoy. I was planning on buying from Amazon or B&H, but since most of the pricing was the same, I thought the delivery and tutorial would be better. It was a great experience. My Enjoy Expert precharged all three batteries and was very knowledgable about the Mavic flight modes.

The only problem we had is that it's very hard to find a place to legally fly in Plano. All public parks are off limits (per city ordinance) and most of Plano is within 5 miles of different airports. Luckily, we found a spot in Frisco to meet and take our first flight. I flew again solo yesterday, and I'm so pleased with the Mavic. I would definitely like to find some other pilots in my area and go fly sometime. PM me if you're around.

Before the Mavic, I was building my own copters. My first was the tricopter using the Flight Test instructions and forum. I wouldn't call this a drone because it had no autonomy and it was actually flying in sport mode all the time. Hovering took skill, practice, and lots of tweaking of the controls. But it was a cheap and fun way to get into the hobby. I strapped my GoPro to the front and had a lot of fun. This was three or four years ago, before the hobby blew up and before all the regulation. I used to fly around my neighborhood, in National Parks, and at ski resorts (in the summer). Everywhere I went, people would stop and watch and ask me questions. I never had a complaint or a hassle, but I was very conservative with my flying and I never flew over people or near an airport. I even added some FPV gear, but it was very difficult to fly that way when it's hard to make the copter stay still.

I also decided to build a waterproof quad, for a boat trip to Florida, using a frame I bought off of a website. It came with DJI motors and ESCs. I added a USR clone flight controller with GPS. Unfortunately, I was never able to make that work. The flight controller was having a very hard time working with the DJI ESCs and motors, and there was no way to calibrate the three. I spent way to many hours in frustration trying to make that work. In the end, I gave up and honestly got out of the hobby for awhile.

When the Mavic came along, I thought "Wow, this is it." There was finally a "pocket sized" folding drone that came ready out the box and could do all of the things I wanted it to do (except it's not waterproof ;)). But the initial price and the custom batteries and the lack of FPV equipment kept me away. But now, with Litchi and the availability of super cheap goggles, I finally bit the bullet. I haven't tried that setup yet, but Amazon delivered my VR Box headset yesterday, so I'm hoping to try it out today. Fingers crossed...

I do have a set of DJI Goggles on order. They should be here this week. I'll post some feedback after I've tried them out. If I keep them, I plan on using them to fly the Mavic while someone else watches using the other headset with Litchi. Has anyone else tried this?

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Reactions: wjkrysak
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

If you're like myself this is the best drone I've enjoyed, toke the baby steps and couldn't resist the Mavic and am I glad I did just get stick time and watch those YouTube s there are lots of them.

Orientation is the key and get to know the settings , lots of settings LOL. Be sure and start with the tripod mode and stay there and make those videos!

I have the goggles and they are the missing piece that completes the fun factor and also the view blows away any device out in the light of day.

If you have reading glasses be sure and have some glasses double the strength for clarity and clear vision. ( IMO this is key)

Have fun!

I bought it direct from DJI and used there next day hand delivery and 1 hour flight tutorial through Enjoy. I was planning on buying from Amazon or B&H, but since most of the pricing was the same, I thought the delivery and tutorial would be better. It was a great experience. My Enjoy Expert precharged all three batteries and was very knowledgable about the Mavic flight modes.

The only problem we had is that it's very hard to find a place to legally fly in Plano. All public parks are off limits (per city ordinance) and most of Plano is within 5 miles of different airports. Luckily, we found a spot in Frisco to meet and take our first flight. I flew again solo yesterday, and I'm so pleased with the Mavic. I would definitely like to find some other pilots in my area and go fly sometime. PM me if you're around.

Before the Mavic, I was building my own copters. My first was the tricopter using the Flight Test instructions and forum. I wouldn't call this a drone because it had no autonomy and it was actually flying in sport mode all the time. Hovering took skill, practice, and lots of tweaking of the controls. But it was a cheap and fun way to get into the hobby. I strapped my GoPro to the front and had a lot of fun. This was three or four years ago, before the hobby blew up and before all the regulation. I used to fly around my neighborhood, in National Parks, and at ski resorts (in the summer). Everywhere I went, people would stop and watch and ask me questions. I never had a complaint or a hassle, but I was very conservative with my flying and I never flew over people or near an airport. I even added some FPV gear, but it was very difficult to fly that way when it's hard to make the copter stay still.

I also decided to build a waterproof quad, for a boat trip to Florida, using a frame I bought off of a website. It came with DJI motors and ESCs. I added a USR clone flight controller with GPS. Unfortunately, I was never able to make that work. The flight controller was having a very hard time working with the DJI ESCs and motors, and there was no way to calibrate the three. I spent way to many hours in frustration trying to make that work. In the end, I gave up and honestly got out of the hobby for awhile.

When the Mavic came along, I thought "Wow, this is it." There was finally a "pocket sized" folding drone that came ready out the box and could do all of the things I wanted it to do (except it's not waterproof ;)). But the initial price and the custom batteries and the lack of FPV equipment kept me away. But now, with Litchi and the availability of super cheap goggles, I finally bit the bullet. I haven't tried that setup yet, but Amazon delivered my VR Box headset yesterday, so I'm hoping to try it out today. Fingers crossed...

I do have a set of DJI Goggles on order. They should be here this week. I'll post some feedback after I've tried them out. If I keep them, I plan on using them to fly the Mavic while someone else watches using the other headset with Litchi. Has anyone else tried this?
Howdy from Wyoming Budge, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Hi.

I’m also in Plano

Could you share some good places to fly in the area

I have the inspire, phantom 4 and Mavic Pro

Thanks so much.

Jeff

QUOTE="Budge, post: 264975, member: 30440"]Hi there. I just got my Mavic Pro Fly More Combo on Friday and I'm loving it.

I do have a set of DJI Goggles on order. They should be here this week. I'll post some feedback after I've tried them out. If I keep them, I plan on using them to fly the Mavic while someone else watches using the other headset with Litchi. Has anyone else tried this?[/QUOTE]

New Owner in the Frisco/Colony area. Just bought the Mavic Air. Freakin love it. It is hard to find places to fly, but good thing is central and east Frisco is pretty easy to find a spot considering the heliports that are on the Apps (B4UFly and AIRMAP) dont even exist anymore.

I also live in Plano and would love to hear where in Frisco you are allowed to fly your drone legally.
Love to join you during the weekend.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3