DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from S. Florida: ZOOOOOOOM!

DukeBlueZion

Reactions
Hello everyone!

I pulled the trigger on Black Friday with the Mavic 2 Zoom...just arrived today- woohooo!!

First time drone owner and I’m beyond excited!! I do admit that I have a LOT to learn having never seen a drone in person, let alone drive to fly one. I will start slow!

I navigated my first crash (metaphorically speaking) whan I told my wife I bought a drone and she asked how much it cost and I said, “instead of thinking about the final cost, let’s focus on the total SAVINGS from Black Friday”. She gave me a funny look but she did not pick up a sharp utensil so I feel like I averted disaster.

I am going to take my time, watch plenty of YT videos and probably take it out to a park near my house this weekend and start low and slow with it to learn how to control it. I also need to learn more about regulations, do’s & don’ts and general safety and care.

I’m about 30 min south of West Palm Beach airport and about an hour north of Ft Lauderdale airport so no issue there. 5 miles from the ocean but I’ll need to develop some serious confidence before shark hunting near the shore :)

Any other tips for a complete noob?

Thanks in advance!!

Register with the FAA.
Read The Manual.
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup.

Hello everyone!

I pulled the trigger on Black Friday with the Mavic 2 Zoom...just arrived today- woohooo!!

First time drone owner and I’m beyond excited!! I do admit that I have a LOT to learn having never seen a drone in person, let alone drive to fly one. I will start slow!

I navigated my first crash (metaphorically speaking) whan I told my wife I bought a drone and she asked how much it cost and I said, “instead of thinking about the final cost, let’s focus on the total SAVINGS from Black Friday”. She gave me a funny look but she did not pick up a sharp utensil so I feel like I averted disaster.

I am going to take my time, watch plenty of YT videos and probably take it out to a park near my house this weekend and start low and slow with it to learn how to control it. I also need to learn more about regulations, do’s & don’ts and general safety and care.

I’m about 30 min south of West Palm Beach airport and about an hour north of Ft Lauderdale airport so no issue there. 5 miles from the ocean but I’ll need to develop some serious confidence before shark hunting near the shore :)

Thanks in advance!!
Are you in Delray or Boca?

Reactions: DukeBlueZion
Hey @DukeBlueZion I'm in West Palm beach myself. I had to register with DJI so I could get around the HUGE restricted flight areas that are spontaneously created whenever trump comes to town.

If I could only give one tip it's this : when you take off, let it hover close by for at least 30 seconds. Use that time to take a breath, check your screen / satellites / battery etc. Just that simple warm up has saved me, even after 2 years I do it every time I fly.

Welcome to the forum DukeBlueZion . . . I tell nubies to visit the "Lost/Crashed Drone and Fly Away" section of this forum. Although you have one of the best drones on the market with impressive comprehensive technology on board; I assure you she can be lost or crashed. Read those horror stories before you become one. Biggest piece of advice; when she says battery low, return to home . . . return to home.

Have fun, fly save! Spin up daily (if good weather) ;) !!

Quick question-

I did not purchase the DJI care refresh as I just did not know much about it… I think I have 48 hours from when I register the drone to purchase it is that correct? Is it generally recommended to purchase this for the drone? I think it’s $159.

Welcome.

If you focus on producing drone videos here are a couple of suggestions:

(1) Study up on cinematic drone maneuvers.

(2) Review - “Basic Editing Principles for Filmmakers”.

(3) Keep your posted video short. What is short? Everyone has their opinion, my target time is 3 minutes of less.

(4) What is your subject? How will your video keep a viewers interest? Discern a great video from ho-hum ones.

Hello everyone!

Thanks in advance!!
Hey Duke,
I have my Mavic 2 since September and I can relate on all accounts.
I am heading down to Florida tomorrow and I will be in the Boynton Beach area.
Plan to bring my Mavic, maybe I’ll see you around.

Best tip is take it slow and know your surroundings.
Learn to fly by stick and then try all the goodies.
Fly safe & often
Mike

Where did you get a deal on the Zoom? Unless DJI later discounted the Zoom, it was only the Pro that had a deep discount, priced below the Zoom.

Yes, you have 48 hours from activation to purchase Refresh without having to send a video.

Hello everyone!

Thanks in advance!!

I'm in the North Ft. Lauderdale/Margate area. Weather has been beautiful! Keep an eye on Kittyhawk for airspace restrictions...there are a bunch down here! And...plan on not flying at all when Trump is in West Palm. No fly zone is huuuge! Had to go all the way to Lake Okeechobee for any decent flying last time. Enjoy!

B4UFLY APP of Park Area I was looking at:

197B59E0-2DBF-4A7B-8F17-2DABBED74AEE.png

DJI NFZ Map:

DA052A9D-2E1B-4C27-B5D5-5646CB8434F5.jpeg

Attachments

• F8FCA0DC-9515-4E46-9594-C8AC4B4D5D4B.png
    F8FCA0DC-9515-4E46-9594-C8AC4B4D5D4B.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
According to airmap, that's in controlled airspace so you would need to use LAANC to get FAA authorization, but ceiling is 400ft so DJI probably figures it's not a significant enough risk for them to geofence.

Agree with DanMan32. It's in PBI Class C but LAANC approval available up to 400 feet. Looks like a fun spot! You'll have a little room to the east. Just beyond Jog Road is no fly but plenty of open space west.

Just a little bit north of there is Dyer Park, that's where everyone flies their model airplanes.

Agree with DanMan32. It's in PBI Class C but LAANC approval available up to 400 feet. Looks like a fun spot! You'll have a little room to the east. Just beyond Jog Road is no fly but plenty of open space west.

Really tight fly zone in and around Palm Beach South and West of
US 5
1575602549787.png

1575602601377.png
Per AirMap
Tight window, but some nice Inter Coastal & Ocean Coast flying.
Now to find some areas to launch from.
I will check out areas around E Oecan Avenue, Lantana

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99