DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from St. George, Utah

Phlier

Reactions
Hello everyone,

I just got my Mavic Pro yesterday. I figured since I live in the beautiful red rock desert of southwestern Utah, it was a perfect excuse to buy a Mavic.

I just took it up for it's maiden flight about 20 minutes ago. I also fly many other drone types... tinywhoop, 2" racers, 3" racers, all FPV, so I was astounded at how easy it is to fly. I feel like I'm cheating! :)

I can't wait to talk the wife into letting me get the goggles, as the Mavic is the PERFECT FPV platform, for those FPV pilots that want a HD experience in their goggles, and not the crappy picture that is usually expected from FPV drone cameras.

It's still really hot here in the desert (it'll top out at 104 today), so I'm going to only do 10 minute flights with 30 minute cool down sessions between them.

I'm a pilot for a major airline, and have always wanted to be able to share with the family the extraordinary views I get at my job. The Mavic is the perfect tool for this.

If there happen to be any other drone pilots here in St. George, Utah that would like to get together for some flights, please feel free to let me know. I'd love to go flying with other drone heads!

Well, it's been 30 minutes, and the Mavic has cooled off. Time to go fly around the desert. :)

Welcome to MavicPilots! Fly safe and have fun!

Reactions: Phlier
Hello everyone,

I just got my Mavic Pro yesterday. I figured since I live in the beautiful red rock desert of southwestern Utah, it was a perfect excuse to buy a Mavic.

I just took it up for it's maiden flight about 20 minutes ago. I also fly many other drone types... tinywhoop, 2" racers, 3" racers, all FPV, so I was astounded at how easy it is to fly. I feel like I'm cheating! :)

I can't wait to talk the wife into letting me get the goggles, as the Mavic is the PERFECT FPV platform, for those FPV pilots that want a HD experience in their goggles, and not the crappy picture that is usually expected from FPV drone cameras.

It's still really hot here in the desert (it'll top out at 104 today), so I'm going to only do 10 minute flights with 30 minute cool down sessions between them.

I'm a pilot for a major airline, and have always wanted to be able to share with the family the extraordinary views I get at my job. The Mavic is the perfect tool for this.

If there happen to be any other drone pilots here in St. George, Utah that would like to get together for some flights, please feel free to let me know. I'd love to go flying with other drone heads!

Well, it's been 30 minutes, and the Mavic has cooled off. Time to go fly around the desert. :)
Howdy from Wyoming Phlier, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Looks like this is a very nice community.

It's amazing how complicated such an easy-to-fly drone can be; I've spent literally hundreds of hours watching YouTube videos as well as reading as much written information on the Mavic as I can find, and I still feel like I've just scratched the surface of this amazing piece of hardware. So much to learn!

OMG, LehiDave, the Dixie Rock!

I'm going to go fly there today! Should be a great spot for some amazing video of the town. Thanks for the idea!

Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind!

My camera filters haven't come yet, but I'm still going to go give it a try. Not a cloud in the sky today.

Southwestern Utah is so beautiful that a guy could fly 8 hours per day for the rest of his life and never run out of material to film.

Unfortunately, my house is right at the edge of the 5 mile ring of St. George airport, so I'm not able to video my neighborhood as I'd like to. It would be nice to be able to fly, say, 15 feet high in the 5 mile ring of an airport. Ah well, maybe someday.

I'm hoping that someday the FAA will implement a true Drone PIlot license, with regulations similar to a Private PIlot license. A guy could fly a drone under VFR rules. Maybe even throw in a Mode C or Mode S transponder and COM relay in the drone for talking to ATC.

Drones have become so popular that it's time for the FAA to add drones to the NAS in a fair manner, allowing them access just as manned aircraft have. Of course, proper training and licensing would be required. Part 107 is a good *start*, but there's a long way to go still.

Last edited:
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Yup, I will definitely be searching for answers before asking questions. I've actually been lurking this forum the past several months while I wore down the wife for permission to buy the Mavic. :) I've learned a lot from this forum. Very much appreciate you guys sharing your knowledge.

Reactions: dirkclod
Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind!

My camera filters haven't come yet, but I'm still going to go give it a try. Not a cloud in the sky today.

Southwestern Utah is so beautiful that a guy could fly 8 hours per day for the rest of his life and never run out of material to film.

Unfortunately, my house is right at the edge of the 5 mile ring of St. George airport, so I'm not able to video my neighborhood as I'd like to. It would be nice to be able to fly, say, 15 feet high in the 5 mile ring of an airport. Ah well, maybe someday.

I'm hoping that someday the FAA will implement a true Drone PIlot license, with regulations similar to a Private PIlot license. A guy could fly a drone under VFR rules. Maybe even throw in a Mode C or Mode S transponder and COM relay in the drone for talking to ATC.

Drones have become so popular that it's time for the FAA to add drones to the NAS in a fair manner, allowing them access just as manned aircraft have. Of course, proper training and licensing would be required. Part 107 is a good *start*, but there's a long way to go still.
I stay completely clear of the airport area southeast of town there instead fly the many bluffs where the old airport used to be. I am able to get great elevation off of these without breaking the 400 ft. barrier.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

I stay completely clear of the airport area southeast of town there instead fly the many bluffs where the old airport used to be. I am able to get great elevation off of these without breaking the 400 ft. barrier.

Great idea.... so many good places to fly down here. :)

Hello everyone,

Hi Phlier, I’m new to drones and looking to get a Mavic Pro (long story short, I had one but it was defective). I too am here in St. George. Are you familiar with any place in town who sells them?

Hello everyone,

Howdy from Wyoming @Phlier , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Hi Phlier, I’m new to drones and looking to get a Mavic Pro (long story short, I had one but it was defective). I too am here in St. George. Are you familiar with any place in town who sells them?

Costco usually has them in stock, although I haven't seen them stock the "fly more" kit. Definitely worth checking out!

Costco usually has them in stock, although I haven't seen them stock the "fly more" kit. Definitely worth checking out!

Hi -

Just finding you, quite by accident, but glad I did! Are you still flying? We are building a home in St. George (Ivins) and will be moving down mid next year. I am a new owner of a Mavic 2 PRO and can't wait to get down there and fly it! There is so much to see and experience!!

Hello everyone,

Thanks! Any suggestions for good drone-flying spots with an hour or two of Salt Lake City?

Hi all. New MA owner/pilot. Headed to Ivins in a week for a vacation. I see Snow Canyon is a NFZ. Any places you would recommend for an out of towner to be able to get to, launch, and capture some good landscape videos? The Mountains there are breathtaking and I was sad when i read Snow Canyon was a no go. We are staying at a resort right next to it :(

I've driven past Dixie rock last time we vacationed there. But other than that I have no experience in the area.

Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore