DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Stirling, Scotland

Hello everyone, starting out a bit late maybe, at 75, on this hobby. Reactions gone, back gone, knees gone, eyes going:cool:
Sounds like a recipe for disaster with my new Mini2 and I expect to need a fair bit of help from you all to keep me out of trouble! From what I have seen, it seems a good place for that, look forward to meeting some of you.
Welcome to the forum from an Autumnal Melbourne Australia. I used to drive throughout Scotland for my work many years ago, including Wick and John O'Groats, Dundee, Inverness, The Orkney Islands, The Highlands, The Hebrides, Stornoway, and the West coast down to Tarbert and many other places. I wish I had a drone back then. You couldn't be in a better place to do some stunning photos and Videos. Really look forward to seeing them.

You are not late at all. There are people on this forum who make us look like babies (no offence intended). Age does not matter in here. In the sky, we are all equal. Drone flying will bring back your reactions pretty quickly, as well as "tighten up" up your eyes, knees and everything else. You will become much more aware of the world around you. I have gone from flying a Tello in my garden to flying a mini, Mavic 2 pro and DJI FPV, kayaking (new to kayaking) with my drone and walking for an hour to get to a location. In 3 years, I have put on 15Kilos of muscle from carrying around a 22 Kilo backpack every day and my back and knees have never felt so good😊

My initial advice, practice, practice, practice, carry your gear in a back pack if you can and get some exercise walking to your flying location, never be afraid to ask questions and always keep your batteries charged for those impulse moment" flights.

I hope you have many years of happy flying

Hello everyone, starting out a bit late maybe, at 75, on this hobby. Reactions gone, back gone, knees gone, eyes going:cool:
Sounds like a recipe for disaster with my new Mini2 and I expect to need a fair bit of help from you all to keep me out of trouble! From what I have seen, it seems a good place for that, look forward to meeting some of you.
Hi Scot, or is it Peter?
I joined last December but only now have started to be active on this forum. I too am long in the tooth and my list of ailments gets longer every day! I live in Cumbernauld for my sins however I'm only 20 mins south of you. Perhaps we could meet for a wee dram? Let me know what you think if you get the chance to reply.
Cheers and all the very best,
Tim.

You're most definitely in the right place. You're among a lot of similarly aged peers. This forum is a wealth of information, experience, and fun. With only the occasional outburst from a crotchety old man. Or a crotchety young man. The ladies here are almost uniformly polite.

I'll toss out one bit of wisdom with respect to age-related infirmities. The Cine setting is your friend.

Ask questions, share your experiences, and enjoy.
Thank you for your welcome. Don't you get a lot of Hurricanes down that way? Even the mini2 wouldn't manage that!

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Welcome to the forum from an Autumnal Melbourne Australia. I used to drive throughout Scotland for my work many years ago, including Wick and John O'Groats, Dundee, Inverness, The Orkney Islands, The Highlands, The Hebrides, Stornoway, and the West coast down to Tarbert and many other places. I wish I had a drone back then. You couldn't be in a better place to do some stunning photos and Videos. Really look forward to seeing them.

You are not late at all. There are people on this forum who make us look like babies (no offence intended). Age does not matter in here. In the sky, we are all equal. Drone flying will bring back your reactions pretty quickly, as well as "tighten up" up your eyes, knees and everything else. You will become much more aware of the world around you. I have gone from flying a Tello in my garden to flying a mini, Mavic 2 pro and DJI FPV, kayaking (new to kayaking) with my drone and walking for an hour to get to a location. In 3 years, I have put on 15Kilos of muscle from carrying around a 22 Kilo backpack every day and my back and knees have never felt so good😊

My initial advice, practice, practice, practice, carry your gear in a back pack if you can and get some exercise walking to your flying location, never be afraid to ask questions and always keep your batteries charged for those impulse moment" flights.

I hope you have many years of happy flying
Thank you so much for your welcome, appreciated reading it, especially your past times driving around Scotland - know all those places of course but live near Stirling, about an hour or so from Dundee via Perth. There is certainly some stunning scenery as you know, but whether I will ever have the skills to capture much I'm not sure . I admire what you have done physically in pursuit of your hobby and it would be brilliant If I could manage even some of that but as you know the weather can make it difficult sometimes.
Thanks for the advice about practicing and walking and I will take that on board. In fact I might have no option because as you might know because of the Russian problem coming on the back of Covid, and heavy tax rises, petrol prices have doubled in a few weeks and it now costs about £100 to fill up a medium saloon! The cost of living is shooting up.
Best wishes, Peter

Thank you for your welcome. Don't you get a lot of Hurricanes down that way? Even the mini2 wouldn't manage that!

We do have the inconvenience of severe tropical weather from time to time. But without hurricanes, mosquitos, and gnats, ordinary people like me wouldn't be able to afford to live by the water. Fortunately, we aren't bothered by snow, sub-zero temperatures, earthquakes, or mudslides, Even the forest fires and tornados tend to be further inland.

Hi @ScotPeter, I’m not too far away from you, have to found any good spots to fly nearby?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs