DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from the Malaysian Jungle

Hi there & welcome to the forum ? :D

Digest this here below & you will avoid most causes for mishaps ...

Read the user manual ...the thick downloadable one, not only the quick start, download here --> https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Air_2/Mavic_Air_2_User_Manual_v1.4_en.pdf

Power on in the right order ... First power on your RC & start the app ... after that, power on the drone (& do it on the spot you're going to take off from). Reverse order to shut down.

Preferably power on the drone keeping it horizontal in your out stretched hand (without watches, rings or other magnetic objects) … once the live view have turned up in your mobile device you can put it on ground for take-off. (This supports the point below …)

Before take-off ALWAYS ... add in one very easy check to avoid a really scary event coming from accidentally launching from a magnetic disturbed place with following flyaway at height in an uncontrollable circular or straight flight path. After powering on your drone, connected to your RC/app & placed it in the take-off spot ... but before lift-off, ALWAYS check that the drone icon on the map in your app is pointing equal in relation to other objects in the map as the drone does in reality ... if not, abort launch attempt, POWER DOWN & move away, power up again and repeat.

Keep well under the wind spec where you fly ... and please note that it's not only at ground, it's at the altitude where you fly. The winds up to 400ft are very different then on ground. Use for instance the UAV Forecast app where you can get a feeling about the winds on higher altitudes, but please note that it's forecasts we are speaking of, a bit of common sense is good to apply to that ... "better skip flying a windy day & fly more another".

Don't go & calibrate everything on a regularly basis ... why fix things that are working, it's just a higher risk that you by mistake calibrate your compass in a magnetic disturbed area & the drone goes haywire 10 meters up in the air. Calibrate IMU + compass according to user manual, keep away from magnetic things like cars, metal tables & reinforced concrete at take-off & compass calibrations. If the app recommend a compass calibration first try another launch spot on a far distance from the first ... if calibration still is recommended by the app do it, but only then.

Don't launch in a hurry ... wait until you have at least 8, preferable 10 locked satellites & wait for the lady voice announce that the Home point has been updated, check then on the map that it's in the correct spot. Learn how the RTH function works (it can work differently depending on scenario), don't set the altitude for that unnecessary high, look around were you are going to fly and set it to clear the highest obstacle, to high & the drone risks a blow away.

Seek up a large open place ... a soccer field, free of obstacles & people. Test off every function one at a time until you fully understand how it works & the logic behind, confirm through the user manual if needed. Fly low, slow & near. And don’t try to fly indoors before you exactly know what makes these machines fly stable … you only risk your interior & to damage your drone in the process.

Take the claimed control distance from DJI with a pinch of salt ... only doable out in the countryside completely free of WiFi disturbance & obstacles in between the Remote & Aircraft.

Don't rely 100% on the obstacle avoidance sensors ... they are good & handy to have to perhaps save you when making a mistake, but they can't see everything, especially thin branches & wires so don't think they will allow your drone to just bounce away from everything all the time. Also note that they need plenty of light to work properly, too dark & they will turn off.

The Pause button on the RC ... It's a handy one, it will stop all automated modes immediately (if you have GPS coverage). Place your thumb on that when you initiate an automated flight mode & be prepare to stop it if too close to a tree for instance.

Don't use the RTH button as a "panic button" it's usually the weakest mode of them all ... you will always have access to more power in the manual modes ... if slow against a bit to strong head wind, go for Sport mode, drop altitude & manoeuvre the drone home manually.

Learn the rules & regulation ... keep the drone within Visual line of sight & respect max altitudes, if you can't avoid going out of visual keep it at least in line of sight (unobstructed line between Remote & Aircraft even though you don't see it) so you don’t lose the connection.
Well said and excellent advice. Thanks for posting

Hi there & welcome to the forum ? :D

Digest this here below & you will avoid most causes for mishaps ...

Read the user manual ...the thick downloadable one, not only the quick start, download here --> https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Air_2/Mavic_Air_2_User_Manual_v1.4_en.pdf

Power on in the right order ... First power on your RC & start the app ... after that, power on the drone (& do it on the spot you're going to take off from). Reverse order to shut down.

Preferably power on the drone keeping it horizontal in your out stretched hand (without watches, rings or other magnetic objects) … once the live view have turned up in your mobile device you can put it on ground for take-off. (This supports the point below …)

Before take-off ALWAYS ... add in one very easy check to avoid a really scary event coming from accidentally launching from a magnetic disturbed place with following flyaway at height in an uncontrollable circular or straight flight path. After powering on your drone, connected to your RC/app & placed it in the take-off spot ... but before lift-off, ALWAYS check that the drone icon on the map in your app is pointing equal in relation to other objects in the map as the drone does in reality ... if not, abort launch attempt, POWER DOWN & move away, power up again and repeat.

Keep well under the wind spec where you fly ... and please note that it's not only at ground, it's at the altitude where you fly. The winds up to 400ft are very different then on ground. Use for instance the UAV Forecast app where you can get a feeling about the winds on higher altitudes, but please note that it's forecasts we are speaking of, a bit of common sense is good to apply to that ... "better skip flying a windy day & fly more another".

Don't go & calibrate everything on a regularly basis ... why fix things that are working, it's just a higher risk that you by mistake calibrate your compass in a magnetic disturbed area & the drone goes haywire 10 meters up in the air. Calibrate IMU + compass according to user manual, keep away from magnetic things like cars, metal tables & reinforced concrete at take-off & compass calibrations. If the app recommend a compass calibration first try another launch spot on a far distance from the first ... if calibration still is recommended by the app do it, but only then.

Don't launch in a hurry ... wait until you have at least 8, preferable 10 locked satellites & wait for the lady voice announce that the Home point has been updated, check then on the map that it's in the correct spot. Learn how the RTH function works (it can work differently depending on scenario), don't set the altitude for that unnecessary high, look around were you are going to fly and set it to clear the highest obstacle, to high & the drone risks a blow away.

Seek up a large open place ... a soccer field, free of obstacles & people. Test off every function one at a time until you fully understand how it works & the logic behind, confirm through the user manual if needed. Fly low, slow & near. And don’t try to fly indoors before you exactly know what makes these machines fly stable … you only risk your interior & to damage your drone in the process.

Take the claimed control distance from DJI with a pinch of salt ... only doable out in the countryside completely free of WiFi disturbance & obstacles in between the Remote & Aircraft.

Don't rely 100% on the obstacle avoidance sensors ... they are good & handy to have to perhaps save you when making a mistake, but they can't see everything, especially thin branches & wires so don't think they will allow your drone to just bounce away from everything all the time. Also note that they need plenty of light to work properly, too dark & they will turn off.

The Pause button on the RC ... It's a handy one, it will stop all automated modes immediately (if you have GPS coverage). Place your thumb on that when you initiate an automated flight mode & be prepare to stop it if too close to a tree for instance.

Don't use the RTH button as a "panic button" it's usually the weakest mode of them all ... you will always have access to more power in the manual modes ... if slow against a bit to strong head wind, go for Sport mode, drop altitude & manoeuvre the drone home manually.

Learn the rules & regulation ... keep the drone within Visual line of sight & respect max altitudes, if you can't avoid going out of visual keep it at least in line of sight (unobstructed line between Remote & Aircraft even though you don't see it) so you don’t lose the connection.
Snup.. All good points! I just copy/pasted them to a Word File which I printed, and plan to quickly re-read it each time I go out with the MP2. (until they all become automatic with me).

Nice film Dunstan! I hadn’t realised how extensive the fish farms were on Kenyir. I’m heading over that way later this year to fish for Ikan Kelah. Hopefully my sunk drone won’t be as difficult to land as that Toman :D

Cheers, Paul

Do visit the Kelah fish sanctuary. It's a must.

Hi chaps,

New member here! I was given a Mavic Air 2 for my birthday in December - from my wife - fantastic present. But I think I must have fitted the props on incorrectly at some point and it took off into the lake! So I’ve just bought a replacement through DJI which should arrive tomorrow. I think this time I’ll keep the props attached!!

Anyway as you can tell I’m new to this. :D But I do want to get good at flying and shooting video. I currently live on a lake in the Malaysian Jungle where I’m a fly fishing guide. The video and photographs I’ve taken so far are the first time I’ve seen images that really show the beauty of the place. So if you can help me keep the next aircraft dry I would be very grateful! Nice to meet you all :)

Cheers,
Paul
View attachment 126392
Now THAT'S what I would call a dream job!!! As a long time trout and fly fisherman in Montana and Colorado, I have my waders and boots and fly rods already ready (I'm using a 4 weight Winston rod).IMG_4464.JPGIMG_4464.JPG

Hi Dale! Nice to meet you :) I used to live in the backwoods around West Yellowstone for a few summers! Trout was a long term passion of mine but I now I currently chase these...
4420898B-3E90-429F-9C83-403BB1FE09AE.jpeg
I was actually doing pretty well with hand catching and launching. I’m pretty sure I just managed to fit the propellers incorrectly. This is a bit like missing a ring when setting up a rod, even after 40 years of fly fishing I still manage to do this regularly :) I’ll head back this week and fish it out to check. It’s been sunk for about three weeks now in freshwater. Will there be any parts worth saving apart from the props?!

What I have been thinking about is landing on the boat roof. I could fit a non-slip pad and despite being metal, it’s aluminium... so this should be fine? Or do you think I’m still better off hand catching?

I’ve also ordered up Phantom Rain’s life jacket, not that I intend to splash down... well maybe... but more just in case I do accidentally. I was using the follow me function only to look around to see the aircraft descending towards the water. 99% of my flying is going to be over water so I have to get used to it! It certainly raises the heart rate :)

I’m quite sure it’s not going to be the last drone I sink, but it would be nice to get a few years out of the next one!

Cheers, Paul

Reactions: Steel63 and MA2 317
Welcome from sunny South Africa. Let the Sky be Yours, especially over the Lakes. Must say, you have a fantastic job.
Also great intro.

Thanks! :)

For those who might experience a similar fate, my experience with DJI support was excellent, if slightly slower than rocket speed. They sold me a replacement aircraft only (I had the fly more package) and at a 15% discount. And the good news is that it has arrived today!

Reactions: Steel63
Paul: Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
Wow; nice, living on a house boat in the Malaysian jungle.
No body brothers you, about flying do they?

Thanks Spitfire, no one bothers me but I don’t fly where there is anyone to get bothered! :) I’ve usually got the place to myself –. as in like nobody within 2-3 miles – and I would never intrude on anyone else.

I can understand how flying a UAS in public places can annoy people. I spent the best part of 20 summers fly fishing the New Zealand backcountry and the drone of a helicopter would completely destroy my wilderness feeling. Also I wouldn’t want people filming me without my consent.

The regulations here in Malaysia are to fly within 400’ above the ground and you can’t film military bases (there is one on the lake). I’ve also read that you have to be at least 50 metres from another person or building.

The lake is actually divided into two. To film anywhere in the northern part you need a permit from the State Park (I am involved in a project with the State Park where I’m helping train some of the local Orang Asli community to be fly fishing guides, and I intend to fly the river on my next trip as part of our promotion). To film in the forest in the south part you need a permit from the Forestry Dept. On the lake in the south where I am mostly based is fine.

There are very few people here. I can often go a day or two without seeing anyone. And between us that’s what I like best :D

Cheers, Paul

New member here! I was given a Mavic Air 2 for my birthday in December - from my wife - fantastic present. But I think I must have fitted the props on incorrectly at some point and it took off into the lake! So I’ve just bought a replacement through DJI which should arrive tomorrow. I think this time I’ll keep the props attached!!
Hi Paul,
wow that was really a very nice gift! Sorry to hear about the drone went to take a bath ? You live and work in a fantastic location!
cheers Paul (my real name ?)

Thanks Paul! Yep I’ve always been very lucky with where I live. I’ve spent most of my adult life living outdoors and travelling. I really feel that it would be great to get the drone flying and photography under my belt. It’s a very different result taking a photo or video from a boat compared to taking a photo with the boat in the foreground. It’s my intention in 5 years time to move to a sailing boat where it’s going to be essential to film from done - and even more challenging I’m sure! I’ll get there, just a shaky start :D

Thanks for the welcome to the forum. That’s very nice. I’ve been running a flyfishing forum for the last twenty odd years and I have to say you guys do a far better job of welcoming new members that we do! That’s something I need to change.

I’ll try to post some video soon for critique. I have a busy week next week but will get something up the week after. I do want some advice on filming a flycasting video but I’ll save it for then!

Cheers for now, Paul

Reactions: Steel63 and Droniac
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123