DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello! New to forum and new to drones!

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar.

As a New Drone Pilot, there are a couple of Legal Things you may need to do…

If you have not already done so, you will need to get your TRUST Certificate. You can get that at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…) at least until you get your Part 107 License if you go into business . You mentioned two Drones, the Air 2S and you are required to register that Drone. The Mini 3 will on have to be registered if you go into business…

I registered my Mini 2 because the TRUST Certificate and FAA Registration established me as a "certified" Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Flyer.

Link to the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…)

Link to the FAADroneZone (Optional for Drones under 250-Grams…)

You wrote that you wanted to get into videography and photography for weddings, businesses, and real estate photos, then you will need to acquire your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you started…

Since you live in Nebraska, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

However, in the meantime, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

Do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 4-5 feet (1-1/2 meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mavic Air 2s and the Mini 3, including the User Manuals.

As for which Drone will work best for you, only you can make that choice...

Happy, Safe and Legal Droning…
Thanks for all the information! I am currently studying for my Part 107 now and bought a little Potensic drone to fly around in the house and practice on. I am sure they have some similarities but also are nothing alike.

Reactions: LoudThunder
First, you must take and pass Part 107 FAA test if your going to use your drone for income. What to buy? Depends on your budget and remember you get what you pay for. After your purchase, download the owners manual and read it cover to cover at least 3 times. You might want to spend 2 or 3 hours of flight time before you tackle camera work. If you’ve never done video, buy a book or take a class. These new drones/quad copters almost fly themselves until they don’t. Most crashes occur because of pilot error, just like small airplanes. Overconfidence is the demon.
Remember to walk before you run.
About flying over groups of people; that is illegal by FAA rules. You’ll learn that when you take your Part 107 test.
Good luck, flying these drones is a lot of fun.
Thanks for all the feedback!

Reactions: old man mavic
I am currently studying for my Part 107 now and bought a little Potensic drone to fly around in the house and practice on. I am sure they have some similarities but also are nothing alike.

So Not to worry nor apologize about for your first choice of drone. My first drone was GoolRC 161, that was DJI Mini Lookalike, non-GPS, and I had a lot of fun with it and it was only $30.

Flying around the house is fun, not so much inside, blowing everything off the table, upsetting the dog and cat, not to mention the possibility of knocking the urn of Aunt Millie's ashes off the mantle…

Tis better to practice outside, away from bushes, trees, the neighbor's car, etc… You want an open area where you can make a mistake and have time and room to correct it without crashing…

Here is a link to a Great YouTube Video that teaches 15 Drone Maneuvers for Beginners…

By the way, the Pilot Institute also offers FREE Part 107 Flash Cards for use on your Android or iOS Cell Phone available at your Favorite App Store (Google or Apple).

flash.png

At least once a week, I go out with my drone and I practice a manual clockwise and counter-clockwise Circle and Dronies. My Mini 2 has these and other Quickshots built into the firmware, but then, I'm not flying my drone. it's flying itself…

I also practice "racetrack ovals and figure-eights", and I practice doing it in reverse… These exercises all help to develop "muscle memory" when flying so it's second nature… You get excited and you want to quickly fly forward, but in the excitement, instead of shoving the Right Stick Forward, you shove the Left Stick Forward, and instead of flying forward, you fly up into the branches overhead… It ain't pretty…

So Not to worry nor apologize about for your first choice of drone. My first drone was GoolRC 161, that was DJI Mini Lookalike, non-GPS, and I had a lot of fun with it and it was only $30.

Flying around the house is fun, not so much inside, blowing everything off the table, upsetting the dog and cat, not to mention the possibility of knocking the urn of Aunt Millie's ashes off the mantle…

Tis better to practice outside, away from bushes, trees, the neighbor's car, etc… You want an open area where you can make a mistake and have time and room to correct it without crashing…

Here is a link to a Great YouTube Video that teaches 15 Drone Maneuvers for Beginners…

By the way, the Pilot Institute also offers FREE Part 107 Flash Cards for use on your Android or iOS Cell Phone available at your Favorite App Store (Google or Apple).

View attachment 153130

At least once a week, I go out with my drone and I practice a manual clockwise and counter-clockwise Circle and Dronies. My Mini 2 has these and other Quickshots built into the firmware, but then, I'm not flying my drone. it's flying itself…

I also practice "racetrack ovals and figure-eights", and I practice doing it in reverse… These exercises all help to develop "muscle memory" when flying so it's second nature… You get excited and you want to quickly fly forward, but in the excitement, instead of shoving the Right Stick Forward, you shove the Left Stick Forward, and instead of flying forward, you fly up into the branches overhead… It ain't pretty…
Love the flash card plug! Going to download it to help study!

I built a mini course around the basement right now with landing arenas that must be hit then I do it all in reverse. It is a lot of fun and can get rather challenging when the dogs get involved.

Reactions: LoudThunder
How big is the sound difference between the two of them?
Additionally have you used the active track in them? I have seen things online that say they are the same and some that say they are way different. What are you thoughts?
The Mini3 is noticeably quieter. I found it kind of funny but I took out my Phantom4 and couldn't believe how loud it was compared to the Air2s, then I flew the Mini3 and felt like I was in stealth mode.
At 200' you can definitely hear the Air 2s above you, the Mini3 is hardly noticeable.

I've just started to looking into using the active track features in them and can't really say at this point. I've used the Master Shots on the Air 2s and really like that! My Mini 3 is less than a week old with 4 flights on it so its been more getting used to it.

The Mini3 is noticeably quieter. I found it kind of funny but I took out my Phantom4 and couldn't believe how loud it was compared to the Air2s, then I flew the Mini3 and felt like I was in stealth mode.
At 200' you can definitely hear the Air 2s above you, the Mini3 is hardly noticeable.

I've just started to looking into using the active track features in them and can't really say at this point. I've used the Master Shots on the Air 2s and really like that! My Mini 3 is less than a week old with 4 flights on it so its been more getting used to it.
Master shots?

Excited to get into the world of drones!

I am looking to get into doing drone videography and photography for weddings, businesses and real estate along with taking it out on the golf course to film for fun. I am currently torn between two two drones, Mavic air 2s or mini pro 3 for my first drone. (or if you all know of any better ones that would work I am all ears)

Biggest needs.
- I live in Nebraska where it can get really windy and very dry heat (100+) so a drone that could handle both
- Active tracking for when I golf
- Camera/video camera
- Easy to use and travel with
- Easy to fly around people (large outdoor weddings)

Would the mini pro 3 be able to handle all of these (even the heat) or is it worth spending more money and having the bigger drone to get the air 2s?
Welcome to the forum !
There’s tons of info here that you’re gonna find invaluable.
You say you want to start out flying with some rather expensive drones, but have you had any experience flying a drone at all ? Just askin.

Welcome to the forum !
There’s tons of info here that you’re gonna find invaluable.
You say you want to start out flying with some rather expensive drones, but have you had any experience flying a drone at all ? Just askin.
That I have not. Do you have another suggestion of a drone that can do what I am asking?

That I have not. Do you have another suggestion of a drone that can do what I am asking?
Hello. I’ve been flying lesser quality drones ( for want of a better name ) for a few years before I recently stepped up to an Air 2. Now, I’m speaking from MY own experiences and preferences, others might have different views and opinions, but I believe people new to flying drones should learn on a drone that doesn’t have ANY automatic features. That means no return to home, no GPS. This way, it’s YOU whose in total control of the drone.
When just starting out, I was not so concerned about taking pictures or video, my hands were full just learning how to keep my drone in the air and not crashing so much !
I started with an MJX Bugs 3.
I still have it, it’s well made, and pretty durable. I’m sure others out there have drones they can recommend too. It took me years to move up to a DJI drone because I finally felt like I was “ready” for a higher quality drone. But, that’s just me. Keep asking questions. There’s a TON of information on this site. Good luck !

Hello. I’ve been flying lesser quality drones ( for want of a better name ) for a few years before I recently stepped up to an Air 2. Now, I’m speaking from MY own experiences and preferences, others might have different views and opinions, but I believe people new to flying drones should learn on a drone that doesn’t have ANY automatic features. That means no return to home, no GPS. This way, it’s YOU whose in total control of the drone.
When just starting out, I was not so concerned about taking pictures or video, my hands were full just learning how to keep my drone in the air and not crashing so much !
I started with an MJX Bugs 3.
I still have it, it’s well made, and pretty durable. I’m sure others out there have drones they can recommend too. It took me years to move up to a DJI drone because I finally felt like I was “ready” for a higher quality drone. But, that’s just me. Keep asking questions. There’s a TON of information on this site. Good luck !
Thanks for your feedback and thoughts here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett