DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help! Camera won’t focus after crash

SeaOfStatic

Reactions
Re-calibrated the gimbal, reset the camera settings, now the horizon line is off and the camera won’t focus properly. Any suggestions?

Ribbon cable that connects to the gimbal and camera may have a micro tear. They tend to get ripped and torn a bit after a crash. You can purchase a ribbon cable and attempt the repair yourself or send to a DJI Authorized repair center.

Reactions: SeaOfStatic
Make sure the gimbal is still mounted correctly. There are many YouTube videos and postings here that describe how it should be set.

Reactions: SeaOfStatic
Looks like one of the black tabs on the front of the gimbal mount was over the top of the little box it hovers under, if that makes sense. Had to push it back to a “floating” position. Worked out

Looks like one of the black tabs on the front of the gimbal mount was over the top of the little box it hovers under, if that makes sense. Had to push it back to a “floating” position. Worked out
Yea! I am not sure about the "camera won't focus" problem but the improper placement would cause your "wavy" video and the horizon being off. Did you check the rear tab also? Next time you start it up watch the gimbal go through it's startup routine to see that it does not hit anything. Then you may need to re-calibrate the gimbal (not sure). Let us know how it turns out.

Ribbon cable that connects to the gimbal and camera may have a micro tear. They tend to get ripped and torn a bit after a crash. You can purchase a ribbon cable and attempt the repair yourself or send to a DJI Authorized repair center.

NO, the ribbon cable is never the cause for blurring pictures, because the ribbon cable serves only for the gimbal positioning motors, not for the focus. The only connection to the camera lens unit is the silver bundle of thin wires.
You migt look for the cause here, or a hardware problem within the camera (replacement costs about $15 on ebay) or a software problem (calibration etc.).

My camera wont focus, even manual focus does nothing, I've replaced the camera twice, tried refreshing fw, rolling back the firmware, calibrating everything, nothing works. Anybody worked out how to solve this ?

In my case, replacing the camera after a crash worked fine.
In your case, if it is not the camera focusing hardware, it might be also the case that the focus command does not arrive at the lens. Did you also try to replace the silver wire bundle? Certainly, there is not only a video signal wire but also command wires within the bundle which might be broken.

In my case, replacing the camera after a crash worked fine.
In your case, if it is not the camera focusing hardware, it might be also the case that the focus command does not arrive at the lens. Did you also try to replace the silver wire bundle? Certainly, there is not only a video signal wire but also command wires within the bundle which might be broken.
I haven't replaced that cable, i have reversed it, so the end that was connected to the camera was connected to the PCB in the Mavic. It looks fine. I'm wondering if anyone knows if that PCB could be the cause

I haven't replaced that cable, i have reversed it. It looks fine.
Ok, you reversed the cable, but how do you know that no wire has a defect? If one is boken, it might fit in the same connection again, reproducing the same error.

I'm having the same problem with my mavic and ive had mine sent to drone doctors after I crashed mine. when I got it back it worked brilliantly then after updating it a few versions the video quality has gone shocking focus is horrible videos looking very mushy and the video noise is shocking. my mavic never was this bad, the funny thing is its exactly the same on my Spark exact same focus out problems and same bad video quality. I have reset camera settings with dji assistant on both drones and refreshed both firmware's to the new versions.
Im really starting to think its to do with the go4 app just like the horizon tilting problem.

A background Go 4 update hosed my video. One day it was great and the next it was unusable. Rolled back Go 4 and turned off auto-update and have not had a problem since.

Reactions: GavieboyDji
A background Go 4 update hosed my video. One day it was great and the next it was unusable. Rolled back Go 4 and turned off auto-update and have not had a problem since.
I'm using the new Go4 app update version 4.3.8 And still have the horizon tilting issues on my Mavic and Spark and both videos straight off the SD card are very mushy and the noise in the Shadows even when filling in daylight is really bad.
These drones was never this bad it only started happening about 4 or 5 updates ago. I have tried everything to fix it calibrated everything reset all camera to stock settings.
The only thing I haven't done is go back to different firmware which I don't know which to go back too, or its something to do with the Android Go4 app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett