DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HELP, First Drone: DJI FPV, Air 2S or Wait for Nano 2

Hexenhammer

Reactions
Hi,
We have some night sales over here, i ordered DJI FPV, but consider canceling it, i dont like the idea of low flight time and bad camera.
I can get Air 2S Combo for same money or get Nano+ Combo, for like 200ish USD cheaper

This will be my first drone to own, so i need to decide, for a last hour i was convincing myself why i dont need TWO FPV and 2S or Nano+ [i wont have time to fl;y them and they will be dusting]
Im a night person, i dont go outside almost ever, but i can fly a drone trough my apartment window or when i go for a walk at night
Basically, i dont need it for like beach or hiking or stuff like that, i just want to try new hobby and have something to take photos when i need, but also to have fun
FPV looks like hell fun, but some people get 6 minutes and video quality is meh comparing to 2S

So what do you think?

For a first drone I WOULD NOT recommend the FPV, you would probably legally need a spotter with you plus if you get tempted to try the fast mode .....curtains I fear. Even the normal mode if FAST
That said do a search (magnifying glass at the top right of the website) for the member alex_markov, I drool over some of his flights.
Expecting a beginner will crash I would be inclined to set you budget lower and maybe even consider a 2nd hand Mavic Mini or a new or second hand Mini 2.

For a first drone I WOULD NOT recommend the FPV, you would probably legally need a spotter with you plus if you get tempted to try the fast mode .....curtains I fear. Even the normal mode if FAST
That said do a search (magnifying glass at the top right of the website) for the member alex_markov, I drool over some of his flights.
Expecting a beginner will crash I would be inclined to set you budget lower and maybe even consider a 2nd hand Mavic Mini or a new or second hand Mini 2.

I cant afford to buy used drone and then get another one later, i rather get a new one with warranty.
Im from Israel, we have the same laws USA does, but no one to enforce them. [I wonder who enforces drone laws in USA, Cops?]

What do you think about 2S vs Nano+? Can Nano+ with 1/1.8 sensor be of better quality then 2S, based on my Reserch its same sensor from HUAWEI P40 Pro.
This video has a small comparison from China

The DJI Air 2S is a terrific drone with a great camera, range, and controls. I have two and they really can't be beat for quality / value.

The Autel Nano+ shows promise on paper but it hasn't been released yet so there is nothing to compare it to. Autel has a track record of buggy software, and more basic controls than DJI so they will have to take it to the next level with their new controller and App that the Nano+ is slated to ship with.

Personally if I was ready to buy a drone today..... I would just get the Air 2S and not wait for the Nano+ which is unproven.

I also have the DJI FPV and enjoy it very much but it really is not for someone who hasn't flown before.

The Air 2S is a great drone, but I consider the extra $300 over mavic air 2 unnecessary for a first drone.
I would recommend buying the mavic air 2, I own it and I'm happy with it. Buy the fly more combo for $1000, the same price as standard package Air 2S.

If you want to go a little cheaper then go for DJI Mini 2.

The FPV isn't really a good drone for beginner.

Reactions: tlswift58
Depends what you're actually wanting to do. The FPV is awesome for the FPV experience and dynamic footage, but if that's not your goal then it's probably not for you.

For night flight, the Air2S will be a bit better than the Air2 - due to sensor size alone. How much better - I can't say - as I only have the 2. Night flying with the 2 is not an issue, but pics / video ARE less than desirable - has a lot of grain as it has to go to a high ISO to capture available light. Nature of that beast in any photo setting.

If the Nano "could / does" achieve a f/1.8 - that is awesome and great for night photography. compared to current camera offerings from DJI on lower priced drones. Never owned or even seen any Autels, so you'd need input from flyers that have that experience.

You have to get beyond the marketing hype any company throws out there. What will the drone do in the real world of flying? As a new pilot - get the long range flying completely out of your mind. If Israel is like the USA - Visual Line of Sight is the rule for flying. For all the drone pilots who do their very best to stay within the rules we do have currently - it's sad to say many new drone owners do not do proper research of the rules / laws on the books and think they can fly the limits the drone manufacturer says the drone can fly - which many far exceed any rules we have in place. It only takes that one "rogue" pilot to do something outside the boundaries and it causes the whole community more grief as rules can be tightened or more put in place. The FAA here in the USA are the "drone police" and local law enforcement can and does enforce local laws - like flying in parks that have been designated no drone zones. As the drone community grows, we have seen some relaxing of certain rules and increasing in some others - esp on the state / local level for restricting drones from many parks / etc. Flying "responsibly" is the drone pilots requirement and not knowing the rules is not an excuse when flying way beyond them. Even most of the apps that help a great deal - like Aloft, B4UFLY, etc do not show many places that are not open to drones - as they tend to focus mainly on the federal level and since states / locals have differing rules - it's hard for them to keep up with them all - thus YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to look them up and follow them.

We ask as a community to fly responsibly and follow the rules. If you're flying from inside an apartment, then your line of visual sight on the drone, esp at night may be very limited. Keep that in mind.

Depends what you're actually wanting to do. The FPV is awesome for the FPV experience and dynamic footage, but if that's not your goal then it's probably not for you.

FPV looks cool and im sure ill like it, but i dont have any good locations to fly in my area, also low flight time and video quality kinda anoying, i think I can achive FPV feeling on a drone with something like goovis lite

For night flight, the Air2S will be a bit better than the Air2 - due to sensor size alone. How much better - I can't say - as I only have the 2. Night flying with the 2 is not an issue, but pics / video ARE less than desirable - has a lot of grain as it has to go to a high ISO to capture available light. Nature of that beast in any photo setting.

If the Nano "could / does" achieve a f/1.8 - that is awesome and great for night photography. compared to current camera offerings from DJI on lower priced drones. Never owned or even seen any Autels, so you'd need input from flyers that have that experience.

You have to get beyond the marketing hype any company throws out there. What will the drone do in the real world of flying? As a new pilot - get the long range flying completely out of your mind. If Israel is like the USA - Visual Line of Sight is the rule for flying. For all the drone pilots who do their very best to stay within the rules we do have currently - it's sad to say many new drone owners do not do proper research of the rules / laws on the books and think they can fly the limits the drone manufacturer says the drone can fly - which many far exceed any rules we have in place. It only takes that one "rogue" pilot to do something outside the boundaries and it causes the whole community more grief as rules can be tightened or more put in place. The FAA here in the USA are the "drone police" and local law enforcement can and does enforce local laws - like flying in parks that have been designated no drone zones. As the drone community grows, we have seen some relaxing of certain rules and increasing in some others - esp on the state / local level for restricting drones from many parks / etc. Flying "responsibly" is the drone pilots requirement and not knowing the rules is not an excuse when flying way beyond them. Even most of the apps that help a great deal - like Aloft, B4UFLY, etc do not show many places that are not open to drones - as they tend to focus mainly on the federal level and since states / locals have differing rules - it's hard for them to keep up with them all - thus YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to look them up and follow them.

We ask as a community to fly responsibly and follow the rules. If you're flying from inside an apartment, then your line of visual sight on the drone, esp at night may be very limited. Keep that in mind.
Thanks for detailed replay.
We had black Friday sales and by mistake they lowered the priced way too much, now it fixed, i managed to order FPV but called to cancel.

Basically the 2s Combo and DJI FPV bundle [with one battery and glasses] costs 1700USD 17% VAT included and they lowered it to American-like prices 1300USD, also with 36 payments, zero interest which is a bonus
But Nano+ Combo Bundle from China is still cheaper, it has RYYB camera and its sub 250gram so thats a bonus.
Also someone posted autel presentation here, looks good

i think I can achive FPV feeling on a drone with something like goovis lite
It's not just the screen / goggles but the flight style and manual control, which you're never going to get with a Mavic that keeps its gimbal flat and is always controlled through GPS.

I have the Air2S with the DH mod. The mod is fantastic. I also added an 1800 mah battery for extra flight time. I get a full 30 min of flight with the battery, but only 24 with just the stock battery. I have pre ordered the Autel Lite+ because of its longer flight time and possible better night imaging. Autel announced sales will start in the next few weeks. At the beginning of Dec. I’ll review it for you all when I get it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929