DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help for a newbie

gufferr

Reactions
was out for my 2nd longer flight ever with my mini 2 , this evening weather was sunny light winds and about 34 degrees out flew out got some great footage of wild turkeys turned on sport mode and zipped in at 36 mph. turned off everything drove around for another hour seen some deer out in the field setup and flew out got about 10 mins of footage put sport mode on and had a hard time getting to 20 mph. My question is would the temp affect speed ,battery level or something else caused that.

thank in advance.

Temperature can definitely affect battery performance, but I suspect it's more likely that a headwind caused a reduction in your ground speed.

If wind is the issue, of course, you'll be able to reach a good speed when going downwind, but your speed upwind will be seriously limited. I don't know if that's what you experienced or not.

These drones are stabilized by GPS, meaning the drone does its best to hide the effects of wind from the pilot, until the wind is just too much for the drone to overcome. A pilot needs to be aware of the wind regardless. Too often, I hear stories of pilots who fly a long distance downwind, and then can't return to the launch point because the drone doesn't have enough strength to fight the wind and get home in before the battery dies.

It's also worth mentioning that the wind at altitude, even just a little above treetop level, can be much stronger than the wind at ground level. So if it feels calm to you, that doesn't necessarily mean there's no wind up where your drone is.

Reactions: Thomas B
Temperature can definitely affect battery performance, but I suspect it's more likely that a headwind caused a reduction in your ground speed.

If wind is the issue, of course, you'll be able to reach a good speed when going downwind, but your speed upwind will be seriously limited. I don't know if that's what you experienced or not.

These drones are stabilized by GPS, meaning the drone does its best to hide the effects of wind from the pilot, until the wind is just too much for the drone to overcome. A pilot needs to be aware of the wind regardless. Too often, I hear stories of pilots who fly a long distance downwind, and then can't return to the launch point because the drone doesn't have enough strength to fight the wind and get home in before the battery
the problem wasn't with trying to get back on a low bat since the first flight was only out to 800 meters it was the second flight where i could not reproduce the 36 mph in sport mode and the wind i believe was 9 mph . i was wondering what other factors could have affected drone speeds that much besides a huge head win? which i believe was not the case.

the problem wasn't with trying to get back on a low bat since the first flight was only out to 800 meters it was the second flight where i could not reproduce the 36 mph in sport mode and the wind i believe was 9 mph . i was wondering what other factors could have affected drone speeds that much besides a huge head win? which i believe was not the case.
I have encountered weirdness with my Mini 2 when going between modes occasionally it almost seems to get stuck.... it will say its in Sport mode on the switch and on the screen but its functions are still being limited like it is in normal mode.... when it has done this a click back to normal then back to sport has fixed it, but I don't know why it happens.

Reactions: gufferr
occasionally it almost seems to get stuck.... it will say its in Sport mode on the switch and on the screen but its functions are still being limited like it is in normal mode.... when it has done this a click back to normal then back to sport has fixed it, but I don't know why it happens.
It will do that if you launch in Sport Mode.
Launching is by default in Normal Mode, even if you have switched to Sport Mode.

i was wondering what other factors could have affected drone speeds that much besides a huge head win? which i believe was not the case.
Whenever you want answers about flight incidents, the place to look is in the recorded flight data.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

It will do that if you launch in Sport Mode.
Launching is by default in Normal Mode, even if you have switched to Sport Mode.

Not to hijack the tread as this could be the OP's answer as well but is this something I missed in the manual?

Not to hijack the tread as this could be the OP's answer as well but is this something I missed in the manual?
The way he described things, he flew around for 10 mins and then switched to Sport Mode.
In that case, Sport Mode should have worked normally.
The data is needed to see what might account for the slow speed.

was out for my 2nd longer flight ever with my mini 2 , this evening weather was sunny light winds and about 34 degrees out flew out got some great footage of wild turkeys turned on sport mode and zipped in at 36 mph. turned off everything drove around for another hour seen some deer out in the field setup and flew out got about 10 mins of footage put sport mode on and had a hard time getting to 20 mph. My question is would the temp affect speed ,battery level or something else caused that.

thank in advance.
One thing I often forget is to switch back when I land , and than back into Sport mode , because if you leave it in sport mode it will only be in regular p mode. You have to make that switch back or you will not be in Sport mode.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain / Snow

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada