DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help! Forgot to press RECORD!

Ugh, it happens to the best of us. Don't feel too bad - I was filming some b-roll for a commercial video just this week and did the same thing. I needed a surfer carrying a surfboard across the beach in the morning, so I used ActiveTrack and let the Mavic follow me around as I walked/jogged all around on the beach. It wasn't until I peeled the suit off that I thought, "Wait a minute... did I hit record?" Nope!!! I suited back up and -- deeee dooooo -- low battery. Major facepalm.

Yes, this is incredible...
The other day, I was shooting a very Nice travelling over a paraglider taking off just on top of a very big Cliff, with sunset.... I was telling myself "woaaah this video will be f..ing awesome!!".
I filmed all that scene, And then, hit the record button to stop recording... But at this moment, I realized that I just started filming...
I spent an hour telling me I was an idiot, and that I will never do this mistake again in my life...
...it happens again two dans ago... :( :(
Be there, done that! More than once. Excellent learning experience!

After that happened to me a few times I made it standard practice to bring it into a hover switch to sport mode and start recording then off I go. I always record because things that I don’t notice while flying I see on playback on my computer screen. Got some good shots of wildlife ect that I didn’t even know was there.

Mrreddog, I was doing the same but I noticed that if you check the box for precision landing and you start filming before it reach 6 meters, it will stop your recording to take a photo for the precision landing.

I wonder if this is a bug and that is what happened to me the other day ? I usually fly with Litchi and auto record at takeoff but this time I started off with DJIGo4 and was careful to hit the record button and saw the timer counting . Near the end of the flight I hit Record and saw that I had just started a new session . Crap , missed some really good low level flying over water . On the SD card I had a short vid at takeoff and then the later short vid at the end . It should not affect video recording from the main camera but you now have me wondering if selecting precision landing does do this . It seems the only explanation . I will see if I can duplicate the event next time I fly or maybe someone else can check . I always run the latest FW and App version .

This happened to me at the most important part of my last flight. The big red button is confusing because it tricks you into thinking you have pressed record. An easy way to tell if you are recording is to look at the timer that counts the secs/mins of recording time. Why they make this so confusing is beyond me, I bet many people make this mistake in the beginning.

Reactions: Jnse
I find it to be much wiser not to shoot stills. Every frame of video is a still and can be extracted with an editor. That way, you get to choose the very best framing and exposure for any still you might wish to have. Why shoot stills?

I find it to be much wiser not to shoot stills. Every frame of video is a still and can be extracted with an editor. That way, you get to choose the very best framing and exposure for any still you might wish to have. Why shoot stills?

Because of the noticeable difference in quality and raw format if you care about that sort of thing. If you want to post a low res jpg on FB then it makes very little difference.

Reactions: Jnse
We shot an important video earlier this week, but forgot to press record. Any chance of the "footage" being in the Mavic's cache memory? If so, how can it be retrieved?
I did the same thing on an important job-- still kicking myself! Just hoping I've learned my lesson!

Until you master the flow of filming, the label is the way to go. I’ve been a film editor for a long time– before the days of auto-save. I used to have a sticker on the monitor that just read “save!”
Worked like a charm!

That's why I have a label on the top of my tabby which states:

"Are you recording?"

Ever since I put that on, I've only missed a shot once? O.K.., maybe twice........

I've just come back from Scotland. I took my MP and Spark.
Went for a long, exhausting hike up a mountain with the aim of getting some great pics with the Saprk.

I didn't even get to the "forgot to press record" stage as I forgot to take a memory card:mad:

Oh how I laughed:rolleyes:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada