DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help from M2Pro owners

Cymruflyer

Reactions
I bought the Mavic 2 Pro a few years back after owning the Mavic Pro and selling it. The M2P worked great and never a gimbal issue. Then I had a slight contact with a tree branch and it dropped and the gimbal arm got bent. Eventually I sent it to DJI and they stated the gimbal arm and cosmetic scratches (so they were going to replace plastic parts) repairs would come to (with labour costs) $340. I paid that and they sent me a replacement M2P.

Now with my original M2P I would often use the 30 degree plus (up) position of the gimbal for certain filming situations. I never had an issue with the gimbal changing the angle of degree that I set it at. No matter if I flew forward or backward. When the replacement arrived, it flew fine and everything seemed to work well. However, I had turned the gimbal to 30 degrees up from level and as I slowly flew it forward, I suddenly saw through the camera on my SC screen, that the camera snapped down several degrees. In fact all I had to do was tilt the camera up to 30 degrees as I hovered and it would within a second or two, snapped back to maybe 23 degrees, then sometimes, 19 degrees and other times from a hover, and setting it from zero to 30 degrees up, it would snap down to maybe 24 degrees then immediately go down to 18 degrees and sometimes even to about 9 degrees.

Regardless of what I tried, every time I would attempt to fly it, extremely slowly forward, the gimbal, when in the say plus anywhere from 15 to 28 degrees, would suddenly snap down again, dropping to anything from 22 to 18 to 12 or even 6 degrees. This would happen whether I flew extremely slowly, from a hover, forward or backwards. I contacted tech support who went through the gimbal calibration with me several times and as it sat on the table, it would hold the 30 degrees up position. The moment I tried it in flight from a hover, the same problem kept happening. It would almost immediately snap down from the 30 degree plus position. In fact, it often would not even let me position it more than 26-28 degrees up as I hovered. But each time I flew forward, again as slowly as possible, it would snap down.

In the end they said to return it and I did and they sent me a replacement (so the second replacement drone). This new replacement has the same problem, it will not allow a 30 degree up position of the camera to be held, the moment I start any forward motion. I could understand reaching a gimbal limit if I were to race off forward, but that is not the case. I am just creeping forward and the gimbal immediately snaps down anywhere from 6 to 14 degrees. A friend has his original M2P and I watched him try the same thing. His gimbal held in place at the 30 plus degree position he raised his camera to. He experiences the same problem free gimbal positive position that I did on my original M2P. We could fly forward or backward slowly and the gimbal would stay in place at the 30 degree up camera position.

Can some of you Mavic 2 Pro owners please try this, take off and hover, raise your camera to the 30 degree plus position and then try a slowly forward flight and see if you too have a gimbal that will snap the camera down any number of degrees from the 30 degree up position toward the level zero position? If you are all having this problem then I will have to live with it too. However, if you guys are able to have the gimbal keep the camera in the plus 30 degree up position as you fly forward and come to a gentle stop and do the same thing in backward flight, then I have yet another problem gimbal and it needs to go back. I appreciate all who try this and report back, thank you all in advance.

Couple things you can try:

Hold the Camera in place with the wheel as you fly.
Try using the Finger on the Screen Pad to hold the Camera in Place.

I will test this latter , and make sure you have the Camera menu so you can raise the camera up turned on.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 2 Pro in the Rain .

Thanks, I look forward to your report. I have the camera set to go up to 30 degrees positive, otherwise it would not even allow that to happen. I will also try what you said. With that said though, when I turn the camera up with the wheel, it still snaps down several degrees, even in a hover. I will try it again though today.

Report: Confirmed Both the Mavic 2 Pro and the Zoom fail to hold 30 degrees position even in normal flight mode.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Mavic 2 in the Rain and Land on the Water.
Interesting... because my original M2P had no problem holding the 30 degree up position while slowly flying forward, plus my friends M2P can do the same which is why I thought I may still have a gimbal issue with the replacement M2P drone that was sent to me by DJI.

When we tested his a few weeks back, he place the camera in the plus (up) 30 degree position from a hover and then slowly began to fly forward and the camera never budged from that plus 30 degree position. His was also an older model like mine was, one of the models that were just a few months old from the original launch. And like mine, he had never updated his drone's firmware, so it was flying with the same software it originally had when first sent to him.

I am assuming yours has the latest updates and is or may not be a newer model than mine was. Thanks for your help though, I suppose I shall live with this problem then. One more question, if you are in a hover and set it to 30 degrees up, will the gimbal allow the camera to stay in place, while you still hover, or does it also tend to snap back down several degrees towards a level camera position within a second or two of setting the camera to that position?

I am assuming you also did the test you suggest I try and had no luck either, whereby you said...

"Couple things you can try:

Hold the Camera in place with the wheel as you fly.
Try using the Finger on the Screen Pad to hold the Camera in Place."

If yours does what mine is doing, and that is while in the hover, as I set the camera 30 degrees up from level and then it snaps back down several degrees while still holding the hover, what is the point of DJI offering a feature of 30 degree plus camera position on the drone, if it does not hold it, while hovering?

Last edited:
Sounds more like a firmware issue. What firmware version are you using, what version is the older Mavic(s) running? Maybe members could try this out and report which firmware version works/doesn't work?
Personally, I have my 30 degrees up turned off, don't want to see props, but what uses am I missing out on?
It overrides the off setting when doing panoramas, so I'm fine there.

My original one had the firmware it came with about 2 or so years ago. The new replacements both have the very latest firmware because I had to go through the whole update with DJI tech support, due to another issue.

It will be interesting to see if older firmware still works like my original one did. Hopefully some others will contribute here.

I'm thinking they added that to the firmware to keep from stressing the gimbal motors running up against the stops when the drone tilts to move. I have seen the same sort of behavior on my MA2 with the camera pointed straight down. A red light will flash next to the gimbal degree display when it gets pushed to far. I'll have to look whether it does it or not when I have it pointed up.

Thanks for that, though that was all about the Mavic Pro, not the Mavic 2 Pro. I had the Mavic Pro first and never experienced those problems with my gimbal.

I also never experienced these problems with my original Mavic 2 Pro and flew it about 2 years with no issues. Now the first and second replacement M2P drones have the same gimbal problem of not allow a choice of 30 degrees up, to remain in place, regardless of how slow you move forward. In fact as it is hovering, it will suddenly snap back down as soon as I move the camera up to the 30 drees positive position. It should not do this.

On the table, the first replacement M2P would allow 30degrees up and stay there. The moment that I fly it and just hover, the problems start. That's why I asked for anyone else who had this problem to let me know and also anyone who does not have this problem, to speak up and say what firmware version they are using. As I mentioned, my original M2P and my friends current M2P did and does not experience this problem.

Place the camera in 30 degrees up and slowly fly forward, hover and slowly fly backwards and the camera stays where you place it. No snapping down of the gimbal at all (Like I am experiencing). All this is while slowly flying of course, not speeding forward, just so others don't start suggesting that it's the speed of the forward motion.

I am going to suggest it is the speed of the motion.
My M2P, controller, and DJIGo4, btw, has the current firmware and versions, in case it has to do with soft/firm ware.

I took my M2P today and turned on the 30 degree up option (since I have always left this off, maybe because of my Phantom 4Pro- (don't want to see props),
anyway, as you said, it holds 30up fine in Hover, and if I fly slow, and stop slow forward and backwards, it seems to be fine. (And by slow, I mean tripod speed or slower). However, when I fly fast, and stop fast, it exhibits the same behavior as yours. I also tried 90 degree down, and it holds that no matter the speed, and also 0 degrees, perfect hold. I think it is the momentum of fast fly and stopping, the gimbal motor is just not strong enough to counter the sudden "jerking". This camera/gimbal is incredibly tiny if you think about it, and it's job is to eliminate very tiny movements, vibrations, etc. I think how I flew is simply outside of the design limits.
As an afterthought just now, I did not try these maneuvers using Litchi or some other software instead of DJIGO4, to eliminate that variable.
Maybe another pilot can analyze this better than I, but just wanted to add my 2 cents to the mix.

I am going to suggest it is the speed of the motion.
My M2P, controller, and DJIGo4, btw, has the current firmware and versions, in case it has to do with soft/firm ware.

I took my M2P today and turned on the 30 degree up option (since I have always left this off, maybe because of my Phantom 4Pro- (don't want to see props),
anyway, as you said, it holds 30up fine in Hover, and if I fly slow, and stop slow forward and backwards, it seems to be fine. (And by slow, I mean tripod speed or slower). However, when I fly fast, and stop fast, it exhibits the same behavior as yours. I also tried 90 degree down, and it holds that no matter the speed, and also 0 degrees, perfect hold. I think it is the momentum of fast fly and stopping, the gimbal motor is just not strong enough to counter the sudden "jerking". This camera/gimbal is incredibly tiny if you think about it, and it's job is to eliminate very tiny movements, vibrations, etc. I think how I flew is simply outside of the design limits.
As an afterthought just now, I did not try these maneuvers using Litchi or some other software instead of DJIGO4, to eliminate that variable.
Maybe another pilot can analyze this better than I, but just wanted to add my 2 cents to the mix.
I appreciate you trying it out with your M2P and I'm pleased to see that you also have no problem when flying it slow.

As for your suggestion that it is the speed that is the problem with it snapping down, with respect, that is a pointless conclusion due to the fact that I have over and over stated that this happens when I am starting an extremely slow forward movement. Therefore, any speed does not even enter the equation here.

If you go back and read at least the post you responded to you will surely have seen that I specifically stated that this happens to my drone when I am starting to fly from a hover in a very slow forward movement. I also specifically stated that anyone suggesting this is due to speed, need not bother posting because I know that would be the case, IF I was doing that. However, I stated numerous times this happens when starting off flying very slowly.

In fact, the previous replacement M2P would not even hold the 30 degrees up of the camera while steady in a hover. I would turn the camera up and within a second or two it would snap back down anywhere from 5 to 18 degrees.

With your help I have now had yet another M2P that will in fact, hold the camera in the 30 degrees up position while moving slowly from a hover, so that is a help. We now have some M2P owners whose drones will hold the gimbal position and others who have helped me here, stating that theirs is exhibiting the same problem mine is, that is, not holding the set gimbal/camera up position even when starting off from hover very slowly.

I'm wondering why some are allowing this and others are not allowing this. Something does not seem to be right here, I just hate to go back a third time now to DJI, I have only had the second replacement for less than ten days. Thank you all who have tried this test for me.

I have just tried 4 Pros (3 borrowed) and all show this behaviour, firmwares 0510, 0640, 2x 0770. I hand held my Pro and with the motors NOT running the gimbal remains as 'set'. Incidentally on all these I could only get 28 or 29 degrees of upwards tilt.
I tried this on a Mavic Mini and it too looses upward tilt after moving forward.
The above were all on one Android phone. I also tried my Pro with an iPhone and the loss of gimbal tilt showed itself.
I will try my Zoom in a bit and other phones that might have different app versions on them.

Thinking, afterwards, about what I saw, I get the impression that tilt, less than maximum, is retained PROVIDING the tilt relative to the drone's body does not reach the maximum but I will need to check this.
The above said the only time I have actually used maximum upwards tilt and moved I just yawed, for a sky / cloud panorama, I don't remember anything odd happening but I will check this.

If anyone's drone does not show this 'creep' can they please post firmware versions and app version?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just tried 4 Pros (3 borrowed) and all show this behaviour, firmwares 0510, 0640, 2x 0770. I hand held my Pro and with the motors NOT running the gimbal remains as 'set'. Incidentally on all these I could only get 28 or 29 degrees of upwards tilt.
I tried this on a Mavic Mini and it too looses upward tilt after moving forward.
The above were all on one Android phone. I also tried my Pro with an iPhone and the loss of gimbal tilt showed itself.
I will try my Zoom in a bit and other phones that might have different app versions on them.

Thinking, afterwards, about what I saw, I get the impression that tilt, less than maximum, is retained PROVIDING the tilt relative to the drone's body does not reach the maximum but I will need to check this.
The above said the only time I have actually used maximum upwards tilt and moved I just yawed, for a sky / cloud panorama, I don't remember anything odd happening but I will check this.

If anyone's drone does not show this 'creep' can they please post firmware versions and app version?
You have stated this was done with a Mavic Pro, but my post was about the Mavic 2 Pro so unless you meant the M2P this may not be relevant data. But thanks for trying. My original M2P did allow a full 30 degrees up in hover and then when a slow forward flight would commence, it would hold that 30 degrees up position, same for slow backwards flight. Of course if it was a full throttle forward flight I would not expect it to hold that, due tp the angle the drone would take in flight.

Where? I think I merely referred to the drones as "Pros" or "Pro"
For clarity, these drones were Mavic 2 Pros, and one Mavic Mini.
Ahh okay great, thanks for the clarification. When you later stated "My Pro" I thought you might have been using your Pro and not your 2 Pro. Thanks very much for testing all those.

Fair enough.
Just tested my Mavic 2 Zoom, fw 01.00.0510, same Android phone and it show the same 'creep'.
I also checked "I get the impression that tilt, less than maximum, is retained PROVIDING the tilt relative to the drone's body does not reach the maximum but I will need to check this."
My impression was wrong, the tilt creeps.

It is worth noting this testing was all indoors, it is raining outside, I am limited to about 6ft of movement so the stick movements are rather sudden and 'sharp'.

Fair enough.
Just tested my Mavic 2 Zoom, fw 01.00.0510, same Android phone and it show the same 'creep'.
I also checked "I get the impression that tilt, less than maximum, is retained PROVIDING the tilt relative to the drone's body does not reach the maximum but I will need to check this."
My impression was wrong, the tilt creeps.

It is worth noting this testing was all indoors, it is raining outside, I am limited to about 6ft of movement so the stick movements are rather sudden and 'sharp'.
I would have thought being indoors your stick movements would be slow. As I had stated, my original M2P would allow a full 30 degrees up from level of the camera position, after I chose that option through the controller, of course. So I could hover and put it 30 degrees up then slowly fly forward and it would hold that. Or I could be flying forward slowly with the camera level and then rotate the camera wheel to 30 degrees up and it would go to that and hold it as it flew.

My two replacement M2P drones would not do that. They both will snap down varying amounts of degrees in a hover, as I attempt to position the camera to the 30 degrees up position. A friend has his original M2P and his would allow it, just like my original one would keep the camera in position. That's why I thought I had yet a second defective replacement drone.

Now I will just have to live with what I have, I suppose. Thanks very much for all the testing. Makes me wonder why DJI even bother to offer this feature if you can't get it to work, there is no point in having such a feature.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7