DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help: Glitchy video, rainbows, horrible lag after Go 4 Update

erkme73

Reactions
I know there are a ton of other threads out there, but getting the big, clear picture (pardon the pun) has been fruitless. My apologies to those who think I should have found the solution using the search field... I really did try.

I don't know what version of Go I was running - but it was probably 4.1.18 or older. I have the parms set to no NFZ/limit/etc from about the time the 'fix' was revealed. I've not updated either app, controller, or aircraft since then.

In fact, it's been sitting in its case until this week when I got a hankering to fly. I flew last week perfectly, no issues. Smooth, clean, distant, video. Then today, I got tired of the update nag screen on the phone - so I updated just the DJI Go 4 app to 4.2.21. As soon as I powered up and connected, I had the pixelated screen, rainbows, and stutters. SO much delay as to make flying via FPV unusable.

I've seen this before on occasion in the year + that I've been flying, but either disconnecting the USB and reseating it (or power cycling the phone) would resolve the issue. Not this time.

No matter what I do, I cannot get away from the bad images.

Here's what I've tried:

1) Airplane mode on
2) Reset phone, RC, AC
3) Cleared cache and data on latest app
4) Uninstalled latest version and rolled back to 4.1.18

Interestingly enough, after installing the older version, after signing in, it forced a 67mb "resource package". Upon installing that, and connecting, the buggered video was STILL there.

At this point I have an unfly-able Mavic. I'm halfway tempted to just say screw it, and update everything to the latest firmware all the way around (losing my no-limits) just so I can fly again. But before I do, I figured I'd ask the experts here.

As for this being anything other than software (i.e. bad USB cable/port, too slow phone, etc) keep in mind that everything worked perfectly until this update. I have a hard time buying that this is a physical issue.

Also, I am flying in BFE. Closest neighbor is 1 mile away. Nothing but trees. Not even local TV station signals make it up here:

Here's a video I took YESTERDAY before the update to show the environment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you think there was enough change in the CPU load between the older and current version that would cause this? I do not understand why rolling back didn't solve the issue. Too frustrated at the moment to screw with it. Thx for siggsuggest tho.

Do you think there was enough change in the CPU load between the older and current version that would cause this?
It seems that was not the cause of the issue since rolling back did not fix it.

Seems strange the rollback did not fix it. Perhaps the Mavic/RC firmware also was updated and will not work with the older version?

When you updated to 4.2.21 and then uninstalled, did you shut off auto update at the Play Store? Some downgrade and come back an hr later saying I'm back at 4.2.21

What mobile device?

Some Chinese thing I picked up for my kiddo when he was 3yo. No compatibility with my carrier, so it is basically a small tablet. It has plenty of horsepower to work DJI - or at least it used to. There is very little else loaded on it (since my boy is too small to appreciate it yet). It is running Android 4.x..

Seems strange the rollback did not fix it. Perhaps the Mavic/RC firmware also was updated and will not work with the older version?

I have not (knowingly) updated the firmware. There have been prompts for database updates, which I've categorically ignored. The only thing I updated was the application.

When you updated to 4.2.21 and then uninstalled, did you shut off auto update at the Play Store? Some downgrade and come back an hr later saying I'm back at 4.2.21

That is a good point. Though, I don't recall it updating through Play. I got a dialog box that popped up when starting DJI Go that provided an update link - and that took me to the store - but I've never seen the update happen as nearly all other apps do. I'll check what version is on there once I get it back in my hands in a bit and will report back.

Well, here's a bit of an update. Out of frustration, I opted to do a factory reset and start from scratch. Upon getting up to the system (which is Android 5.1 - on a Cubot brand X17), I went to the Play store and installed the latest version of DJI Go 4 (4.2.21).

I made a couple of the dev option changes from the link @msinger posted above.

Aircraft: 01.03.0700
Remote: 01.03.0700
AC DB: 00.00.01.04
App DB: 01.00.01.07
Fly Safe DB: 01.00.01.05

Upon take off, the glitching is immediately present. Failure.

I uninstall the app and go to APKmirror to download the 4.1.18 version. I install it, and verify that it is installed.

I then start DJI Go 4. Before it lets me proceed, it says "downloading resource package" which is 67MB. I try to stop it and it warns me that DJI Go cannot be opened if I do not download and in stall it. When I cancel the download, the program exits to the desktop. I tried several times, ultimately relenting.

When it finishes installing the package, I go back to Play store to see what version is installed, and it says 4.2.21.

I go to fly, and boom - same glitch laggy video. Failure.

At this point, I don't know what else to try - other than upgrading the AC DB.

I haven't done enough research to know what the implications of going to the latest FW is. I'm sure more liberties are removed, and probably rolling back gets even more difficult.

I'd welcome any suggestions.

Next update... I gave up and installed the latest DJI Go 4 app on my Motorola G5 Plus... And it works like a champ. No changes to animation settings, clearing caches, or any of the other suggestions. It may genuinely be that the latest forced app update simply doesn't work with the older hardware. Oh well. Kiddo is old enough now to enjoy it as a tablet, I suppose.

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada