DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help identify small broken pieces?

Eagleye

Reactions
Yesterday I was out flying and I had my first real crash into a tree. While filming and circling around my subject manually, I flew sideways into a tree and the Mavic had no chance... Fell all the way down and hit the ground popping out the battery and destroying two propellers. I realize I (foolishly) was only concentrating on my monitor and trying to get a good shot and assumed I would clear over the tree that I apparently didn't size up too well when I initially planned the mission. Lesson learned.

Anyways, after carefully inspecting the Mavic I only found the two broken propellers, light scratches on the battery, and the gimbal vibration plate actually bent but I was able to bend it back and the camera works great again.

However, long story short... there's these two really small "L-shaped brackets" (not sure what to even call it) that fell out of the Mavic from somewhere (I'm assuming gimbal area) and I don't have a CLUE what their purpose was or where it even broke off from.

The Mavic operates perfectly and I can't find anywhere that looks like it's missing these pieces. (I'd just like to note that I'm very impressed with the build quality after taking such a hit and still flying fine) However, I worry that these are essential pieces somehow (obviously they were part of the design) and would like to be sure to return the Mavic to "pre-accident" condition. Please see the photos attached and let me know what you think these are or what they broke off of so I can get this resolved and have peace of mind. Thank you!!

IMG_2747.jpg

IMG_2829.jpg

IMG_9572.png

Looks a bit small to be those bits to me however I could well imagine them being a couple of 'clips" that a gimbal mounting plate could click in to ;)
Well they looked like plastic, but then again, I'm in bright sun try to find good places to fly right now.

They are almost certainly the tabs off the broken props. If you still have the props check them. There should be 3 tabs on each but they often break during impact. Getting one stuck in the motor can be catastrophic so try to account for them all and also check everything is running smoothly before next take off. Good luck. Given that you had the crash already, these are now disposable!

I concur Cheekymonkeyman, definitly from off the prop, it is the retaining lugs.
Bet if he checks his props they will be missing.
I would check to see that there is nothing in your motors that could cause a restriction.

Reactions: Eagleye
OP did you already replace the broken props and now the Mavic flies fine? If so, and you still have the broken ones, look at the bottom of them and you might see where these tabs were.

Speaking from experience unfortunately Ceejay. Checked the motors... one was very tight... turned it upside down and the plastic lug fell out. No problem thereafter !

They are almost certainly the tabs off the broken props. If you still have the props check them. There should be 3 tabs on each but they often break during impact. Getting one stuck in the motor can be catastrophic so try to account for them all and also check everything is running smoothly before next take off. Good luck. Given that you had the crash already, these are now disposable!

Genius!!! This was it, thank goodness - easy fix! Great eye @cheekymonkeyman! Thanks all who offered your help. This is a great forum. I'm new here and am excited to be a part of such a helpful group here. Thanks again.

Reactions: Ceejay
Glad to be able to help! We were all new at some point and I still feel like a newbie in the drone world. The helpfulness of people on this forum never ceases to amaze me... wish I could give a little more back!

Reactions: Ceejay
Genius!!! This was it, thank goodness - easy fix! Great eye @cheekymonkeyman! Thanks all who offered your help. This is a great forum. I'm new here and am excited to be a part of such a helpful group here. Thanks again.

I have been a member of many Forums over the years, and even Moderated on several !.
But this Forum is by far the best I have been involved in !!.
The hand of help is always around for people of all ages and experience.
We want you to feel that you can ask anything, no matter how silly or stupid the question may seem.
You cannot buy knowledge, you cannot buy experience, but you can ask members on here just about anything, and will ALWAYS get an answer from many different people on this Forum,
on items that are relevant to enjoying your/our Hobby.
Many people frown on us, and sometimes "Drone idiots" give us bad press in the way they flaunt the rules and laws, and fly in stupid areas.
Unfortunately, they will always be around, and you will never stop it/them, and THEY will ,in time, spoil it for all of us (if we are not all careful) !.
I fly my drones because I love photography and aviation in general, I do not claim to be an expert at it, it just gives me (and others) that added perspective of capturing life from a very different angle, and this fascinating world we all live in.
My drones have given me that "Boys and there Toys" syndrome at 63,
but when I fly, I feel like the clock has turned back 20 years!.

Reactions: cheekymonkeyman
What do you do if you can't get the broken lock pieces out? I got one out, but the other is stuck. Can I remove the 3 screws to get under the cover? Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada