DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

help, just got my mini last Friday and its grounded. I cant trust it, it wants to flyaway.

tradesman

Reactions
When I got home Friday I unpacked it and watched video's and did everything I was told to do. Didn't get to fly it until Saturday morning, everything was great love it, got some great video's, I had to go do some yard work, when I came back inside my brothers girlfriend told me that she accidently nocked it of the kitchen counter. I looked it over and found nothing wrong with it. A friend was over and I was going to show him how it ran inside the house. When I started it up there was no problem, it just sat there waiting on me to tell it what to do, as soon as I pushed up on the left stick it was at full throttle , went strait to the celling, I was able to shut it down , but it did hit the floor. Again , looked for any damage and found nothing. Started it again holding it in my hand, same thing, sat at idol until I pushed up on the left stick, shut it down and tried with my phone and it did the same thing. Is it worth trying to fix , or do I wright it off???

When I got home Friday I unpacked it and watched video's and did everything I was told to do. Didn't get to fly it until Saturday morning, everything was great love it, got some great video's, I had to go do some yard work, when I came back inside my brothers girlfriend told me that she accidently nocked it of the kitchen counter. I looked it over and found nothing wrong with it. A friend was over and I was going to show him how it ran inside the house. When I started it up there was no problem, it just sat there waiting on me to tell it what to do, as soon as I pushed up on the left stick it was at full throttle , went strait to the celling, I was able to shut it down , but it did hit the floor. Again , looked for any damage and found nothing. Started it again holding it in my hand, same thing, sat at idol until I pushed up on the left stick, shut it down and tried with my phone and it did the same thing. Is it worth trying to fix , or do I wright it off???
We’re you indoors when your friend was over? If so, that’s probably the problem.

Reactions: eaglesurfing
A couple things...
Just for to be sure everything is set and calibrated properly, I would recommend you recalibrate the IMU and compass (do the compass outdoors). Check the safety menu to see if it advises you of any additional errors or actions needed and do the IMU just because, even if recalibration is not indicated on the menu.

Next, do take it outdoors, fire it up and wait until it sees enough satellites for GPS flight. Then, launch it in an open area that gives you time to respond should there be an issue. If all else fails, send it back to DJI for inspection and repair. Did you purchase the care/refresh package that DJI offers? If you still have time you may want to do that in case you have a catestrophic failure.

When flying indoors without GPS it can be a little squirrly if the bottom sensor doesn't have a pattern to help guide it. Also, when flying indoors put it in the C mode so the drone's response isn't so abrupt. And be gentle with the sticks, only using as much motion as needed to get it to do what you want- especially indoors.

Vindibona1's post brings something to mind, go into the flight records in the profile or me section of the app and replay the into the ceiling flight etc.
Watch for any messages the show up on the screen then replay the flight again and switch on the joystick indications. Do the indicated movements reflect your memory of the actual movements? Were your movements gentle or otherwise?
It might be worth recalibrating the joysticks/controller but you'd need to look up how to do that in the manual

If it were me and I suspected it was going to full throttle at the slightest touch of the throttle and or that you do not have full control I would be inclined to test it in one of two ways.
1) Tie it down to a table or something similar, start the motors and see what the response to joystick movements is. I did something similar when I wanted to photograph where the props sit when the motors are running. The mini is at full throttle in the attached, the black thread is STRONG and IS NOT looped around the motors but around the arms and then UNDER the motor mounts.
or
2) rest my hand on something solid (to keep it still) and hold the drone whilst doing the same thing but that is pehaps not for a newbie and you do need a strong and confident grip.

Attachments

• IMG_0954 full throttle overhead 2.jpg
    IMG_0954 full throttle overhead 2.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 117
Last edited by a moderator:
A couple things...
Just for to be sure everything is set and calibrated properly, I would recommend you recalibrate the IMU and compass (do the compass outdoors). Check the safety menu to see if it advises you of any additional errors or actions needed and do the IMU just because, even if recalibration is not indicated on the menu.

Next, do take it outdoors, fire it up and wait until it sees enough satellites for GPS flight. Then, launch it in an open area that gives you time to respond should there be an issue. If all else fails, send it back to DJI for inspection and repair. Did you purchase the care/refresh package that DJI offers? If you still have time you may want to do that in case you have a catestrophic failure.

When flying indoors without GPS it can be a little squirrly if the bottom sensor doesn't have a pattern to help guide it. Also, when flying indoors put it in the C mode so the drone's response isn't so abrupt. And be gentle with the sticks, only using as much motion as needed to get it to do what you want- especially indoors.
thank you for your help, when I get home I will try what you said and respond tomorrow.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

You have found out the hard way how "touchy" the controls are. Sounds like you had a great start.
Anytime you have had a crash, do not only look on the outside but check all of the settings to see if anything else was effected.
If you are going to fly indoors then get some prop guard.

If you can post the flight logs may be more insight can be obtained. You may upload the flight log to this site : DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help instructions are given at the bottom of that webpage.

It seems that the drone has problems in sensing the height or vertical velocity so either the barometer or the accelerometers are faulty. May be the craft could not sense that it was ascending so it kept increasing the motor speed. The log will tell whether this is the case.

I will be surprised if IMU calibration can fix it.

Last edited:
Hi Tradesman. And sorry to hear of your mishap. Whereas I can't add any short-term advice, you will obviously sort the problem out one way or another, then soon be back flying. Afterwards, I would be more cautious. "What can go wrong, will go wrong" is true in the wider sense. I always think "What if...?" I know that most so-called "accidents" in life are actually the consequence of human sloppiness or lack of though. They're incidents rather than true accidents. Psychological attitude is everything. Unfortunately, people often "hope" that all will be well, rather than plan for it.

I'm in my 60s and you'd be surprised how long equipment lasts me. If you're old enough to remember something called photocopiers :rolleyes:, back in the 1980s we had a Sharp photocopier. It lasted for over 25 years, with only one person responsible for using it. Towards the end, the company had to source renewables such as ink from Nigeria, which was the only country still selling such an "old" model. It always copied flawlessly. My Nikon F4 camera body likewise lasted for decades until I recently passed it on after switching to digital. It was once serviced, as a precaution, and Nikon commented they hardly had to do anything to it - yet it had been used in the toughest of countries and terrains. Our Phantom 4 Pro Plus is seemingly as good as the day it was unboxed a few years ago, yet it has also travelled far.

We fly drones just for work, so for us it or they are a tool. From your name, I'm guessing you're a tradesman, so you'll already appreciate how important your chosen tool is. (No laughter or tittering, please. I'm attempting to make a serious and potentially helpful point here. :cool:) When we're on an assignment, often overseas, staying in a hotel room, I'm ultra careful where batteries are plugged in for recharging. Again, an "unintentional" knock or kick - perhaps more likely in the evening when you're both physically tired, yet busy getting everything sorted for the next day - could result in not being able to work.

"What if...?" is something that we teach our team. And it massively reduces "accidents". I hope this helps someone, somewhere. DJI have given us all a fantastic set of drones, so its now up to us how we use them.

Hi Tradesman. And sorry to hear of your mishap. Whereas I can't add any short-term advice, you will obviously sort the problem out one way or another, then soon be back flying. Afterwards, I would be more cautious. "What can go wrong, will go wrong" is true in the wider sense. I always think "What if...?" I know that most so-called "accidents" in life are actually the consequence of human sloppiness or lack of though. They're incidents rather than true accidents. Psychological attitude is everything. Unfortunately, people often "hope" that all will be well, rather than plan for it.

I'm in my 60s and you'd be surprised how long equipment lasts me. If you're old enough to remember something called photocopiers :rolleyes:, back in the 1980s we had a Sharp photocopier. It lasted for over 25 years, with only one person responsible for using it. Towards the end, the company had to source renewables such as ink from Nigeria, which was the only country still selling such an "old" model. It always copied flawlessly. My Nikon F4 camera body likewise lasted for decades until I recently passed it on after switching to digital. It was once serviced, as a precaution, and Nikon commented they hardly had to do anything to it - yet it had been used in the toughest of countries and terrains. Our Phantom 4 Pro Plus is seemingly as good as the day it was unboxed a few years ago, yet it has also travelled far.

We fly drones just for work, so for us it or they are a tool. From your name, I'm guessing you're a tradesman, so you'll already appreciate how important your chosen tool is. (No laughter or tittering, please. I'm attempting to make a serious and potentially helpful point here. :cool:) When we're on an assignment, often overseas, staying in a hotel room, I'm ultra careful where batteries are plugged in for recharging. Again, an "unintentional" knock or kick - perhaps more likely in the evening when you're both physically tired, yet busy getting everything sorted for the next day - could result in not being able to work.

"What if...?" is something that we teach our team. And it massively reduces "accidents". I hope this helps someone, somewhere. DJI have given us all a fantastic set of drones, so its now up to us how we use them.
I was having this same discussion just recently, too. Accident prevention these days seems to be "wait for somebody else to tell me what to do" rather than to think it through, in advance, and then apply common sense and self control. I am also in my 60's and had the benefit of a careful and attentive mother when I was small and growing up. It became second nature to look for the accident waiting to happen, so that I could stay safe. Over the past twenty years, that foresight has been used in developing workplace safety practices and writing occupational safety and health (our OSH) procedures for hazardous working environments, for land surveying staff. Our technology now includes drones for aerial photography and ground mapping, from which we produce 3D modelling for civil engineering projects. What never fails to surprise me, now, in the general consumer world is how many people turn distinctly nasty whenever the topic of drone safety is mentioned. They think that an accident with a small plastic and metal item in the air, flying at high speed and capable of removing an eye, will never happen, or at least is so unlikely to happen, that a "do nothing, just let me fly" mentality applies. Drones have the capability to injure, whether being flown supposedly "under control", or when they malfunction - which can and does occur. They are not infallible, just like their pilots. My suggestion to anybody learning to fly any drone would be to read the manual, watch as many YouTube videos as possible, talk to other experienced drone owners (e.g. in forums like this one), confirm any controlled airspace in your proposed flight zone and then go into a rural, wide open area (where satellite GPS visibility is good), well clear of trees, buildings, people, stock, water and overhead cables and start to get familiar with the drone, on a fully charged battery and with an "H" landing pad, that can be clearly seen when the camera is pointed downwards during landings. Practice some simple take offs and landings on days with no wind, add some elevation and become familiar with the sensation of viewing the screen and heights, test the directional controls before sounding out obstacle avoidance warnings and then venture a little further afield. DJI drones are very smart technology so when the controls are released the drone will (should!) hover and wait for further commands. Above all, don't panic and remember to breathe and relax. And if you are worried about damaging the drone, stay in the slow mode and maybe invest in some rotor protectors (about $30). And don't let anybody online try to convince you that drone safety is for haters and trolls! I have owned a Mavic Air 2 since May 2020; first drone, followed the above practices and I have had no accidents nor near misses. The drone now extends my photographic techniques exactly as I wanted. And it is in the same condition as the day that I unboxed it. It is the old adage: you pay for what you get (these DJI drones are high quality); and if you treat your drone well, it should last you for many years of great flying. Congratulations on making the decision and welcome to The Mavic Forum. There are many experienced people in here who will be happy to help you, if you need any further advice. Cheers ...... and stay safe! And don't forget to enjoy flying the drone and capturing some great photographic memories! (And don't start your practicing indoors .....) ? ?

Addendum: This is great advice for a new drone owner/pilot ......

Safe and happy flying!

Last edited:
Vindibona1's post brings something to mind, go into the flight records in the profile or me section of the app and replay the into the ceiling flight etc.
Watch for any messages the show up on the screen then replay the flight again and switch on the joystick indications. Do the indicated movements reflect your memory of the actual movements? Were your movements gentle or otherwise?
It might be worth recalibrating the joysticks/controller but you'd need to look up how to do that in the manual

If it were me and I suspected it was going to full throttle at the slightest touch of the throttle and or that you do not have full control I would be inclined to test it in one of two ways.
1) Tie it down to a table or something similar, start the motors and see what the response to joystick movements is. I did something similar when I wanted to photograph where the props sit when the motors are running. The mini is at full throttle in the attached, the black thread is STRONG and IS NOT looped around the motors but around the arms and then UNDER the motor mounts.
or
2) rest my hand on something solid (to keep it still) and hold the drone whilst doing the same thing but that is pehaps not for a newbie and you do need a strong and confident grip.
This "tie it to the table" idea works with children at supper time too. :)

If you can post the flight logs may be more insight can be obtained. You may upload the flight log to this site : DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help instructions are given at the bottom of that webpage.

It seems that the drone has problems in sensing the height or vertical velocity so either the barometer or the accelerometers are faulty. May be the craft could not sense that it was ascending so it kept increasing the motor speed. The log will tell whether this is the case.

I will be surprised if IMU calibration can fix it.
If it is the mini2 and he is on app 1.2.2 he will not be able to use phantom help. Website owner working on a fix!

The first thing I would look at would be the props, have they been placed on the wrong mounts.
Then as a separate issue something has affected your controls, make sure you are in default mode and non sport settings.
I feel that it was more than knocked off a table!

The first thing I would look at would be the props, have they been placed on the wrong mounts.
Then as a separate issue something has affected your controls, make sure you are in default mode and non sport settings.
I feel that it was more than knocked off a table!
Whilst checking the props is a good idea, if clockwise props have been put on ccw motors etc. the drone will not fly. The wrong direction props are forcing their motors into the ground etc. It has been done (a thread in here I think) and I think the drone might have even flipped.

There may be a solution to do calibrations bu i have simple advice for future:
Do not fly in limited space before you are confident and accumulate 10 hours outdoor flight
Is too challenging for a 3 minutes experience with new drone. Don’t ride formula I the day you got your driving license...walls are stronger than drones
If you do want to try, buy a $50 drone and destroy it in house! Take this advice from a 69 years old fun of drones.

or
HEY, you just gave me the greatest idea, Wanna go in as partners? THE DRONE PERFORMANCE DYNO MACHINE. Like dynos used for cars, you got the straps concept ready, we can secure them to posts that have thrust sensors ( an some top secret proprietary patented sensors that we we can show all kinds of specs and graphs)

Gotta always be thinking

now in this situation, I think its only fair that your brothers girlfriend has to hold the bottom of the mini as you perform
a full sequence of tests, oh and to make it more interesting have her wear a a custom aluminum foil hat or something cleverly embarrassing and explain to her that it has to do with the electromagnetic pulses that her body naturally gives off. Sometimes you just need to have that laugh when something goes wrong

THE DRONE PERFORMANCE DYNO MACHINE
It is called a bottle of water tied to the drone lol. patent applied for

Seriously though, I was really surprised that the camera/flash was able to 'freeze' a full throttle MM prop.

If you were inside with no gps it was possibly in atti mode. So when you let go of throttle it doesnt stop like it does in gps mode. ( no brakes).
Problem may simply be that you need to be outside and wait for GPS lock as mentioned earlier. You can go through and check all the settings while waiting for GPS as mentioned above

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan