DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HELP NEEDED : Mavic Mini fell in water but still showing life ! NEED HELP

Titus99

Reactions
My Mavic Mini fell into ocean on Saturday, just 3 minutes at most until I was able to recover it.
I cleaned it with abundant clear water for a few minutes then dried it carefully without hair dryer.
The Drone is showing no traces of damage
The battery that was put inside at the time of the last flight is not showing life
However with an other battery the drone is showing a combination of light green /red and 2 battery level white led light ( number 1 and 4 ) and the main red light blinking !
Could anyone help me and tell me if I can still have hope to make it to fly again!
Thanks
for your potential help.
I did write to DJI : "repair would be more expensive than buying a new one " but I still have hope !
REgards
Eric

Reactions: Steel63
My Mavic Mini fell into ocean on Saturday, just 3 minutes at most until I was able to recover it.
I cleaned it with abundant clear water for a few minutes then dried it carefully without hair dryer.
The Drone is showing no traces of damage
The battery that was put inside at the time of the last flight is not showing life
However with an other battery the drone is showing a combination of light green /red and 2 battery level white led light ( number 1 and 4 ) and the main red light blinking !
Could anyone help me and tell me if I can still have hope to make it to fly again!
Thanks
for your potential help.
I did write to DJI : "repair would be more expensive than buying a new one " but I still have hope !
REgards
Eric
Ocean water = Salt
Salt = Corrosion
Even after flushing it through with clear water, it is next to impossible to remove all of the salt that remains on the circuit boards, the connectors, and very tiny crevices inside. The corrosion will not stop and sooner or later you will have issues. It would be best to replace it.

Ocean water = Salt
Salt = Corrosion
Even after flushing it through with clear water, it is next to impossible to remove all of the salt that remains on the circuit boards, the connectors, and very tiny crevices inside. The corrosion will not stop and sooner or later you will have issues. It would be best to replace it.
There is a product called “Salt Away” that I’ve used on my boat, and while I don't know how corrosive IT may be, it seems like you have nothing to lose by trying to wash it well in a Salt Away solution. A quart is $20 at Amazon.

Reactions: Steel63 and Titus99
@Titus99, You say you still have hope and @Drbobk, you say what have you got to lose... You may be able to get the current problem/error fixed but being that there will be ongoing corrosion, I'd be concerned that if you get it into air further problems might occur while in flight. Especially as the motors drawn more current during normal flight and unexpected winds. Don't chance it. Write it off and maybe use none critical components like legs, possibly the camera/gimbal etc.

Reactions: Steel63 and Titus99
Ocean water = Salt
Salt = Corrosion
Thanks PhantomFandom,
That's pretty much reflects DJI point of view, could I sell this drone for some of the spare parts or keep it as a collector in my living room ? ;.)

You've done just one thing right! That was to flush it with fresh water.

Do not power it up yet, that's a major no-no, you are not done and powering it up, even after the fresh water rinse, will cause more damage.

Your very thorough fresh water rinse (which was exactly the thing to do) should be followed with distilled water - this step cannot be skipped, as fresh water contains dissolved minerals that allow it to conduct electricity, behaving as an electrolyte and shorting stuff out. This can cause galvanic and electrolytic corrosion.

After your thorough rinse in distilled water, dry it very well. This may entail using a fan and desiccant - expect it to take a number of days depending on the humidity etc.

I have a ma2 I got caught flying in a bad storm I took every ones advice and it's never had an issue thank god but that was rain water salt water is totally different it just keeps on Croatianing I don't think I would take a chance It could fall out of the sky with out warning . sorry about you're luck . God bless and stay safe greetings from ? Florida

Reactions: Titus99
You've done just one thing right! That was to flush it with fresh water.

Do not power it up yet, that's a major no-no, you are not done and powering it up, even after the fresh water rinse, will cause more damage.

Your very thorough fresh water rinse (which was exactly the thing to do) should be followed with distilled water - this step cannot be skipped, as fresh water contains dissolved minerals that allow it to conduct electricity, behaving as an electrolyte and shorting stuff out. This can cause galvanic and electrolytic corrosion.

After your thorough rinse in distilled water, dry it very well. This may entail using a fan and desiccant - expect it to take a number of days depending on the humidity etc.
Thank you for the advices Bumper, given the situation I will do exactly as you tell me yes distilled water may help and serious drying, fortunately climate here is very dry.
Thanks again,
Eric

Keep working with DJI IF you are still under warranty. I was flying mine about a month ago and it suddenly dropped into a lake. It is still there about 20 feet deep! I sent all the flight data to DJI and they determined it to be a malfunction and not pilot error. They sent me a replacement and battery! I have been very happy with the customer service!! Good luck

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka