DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help Needed Sourcing A Cable

AIredale1

Reactions
I have a Mavic Mini (my first drone) I have decided to get a phone holder (see image) for my iPhone 7 Plus which is in an Otterbox Defender case.

So, what I believe I will need is a Micro USB to Lightning cable? The Lighting must NOT be a right angle configuration. It needs to be straight so that it can connect into the phone. I have looked and looked and I cannot find one. It would have to be, I'm guessing 8 to 12 inches long.

Does such a thing exist? If you know where I can get one please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_6561.JPG

I'm using this 12" RCGEEK cable with my Otterbox Symmetry case. I can also confirm it works well with an Otterbox Defender case.

1574220859660.png

Last edited:
Reactions: AIredale1
Next is to make a short cable to limit power to 10mA max using a resistor to inhibit charge on Androids. Might modify one of the two OTG cables.

Just be careful inserting any Micro-B plug into the side Micro-A socket. Slit with pins goes face down, smaller side of plug facing up. If you force it wrong direction, you'll break the port.

Just be careful inserting any Micro-B plug into the side Micro-A socket. Slit with pins goes face down, smaller side of plug facing up. If you force it wrong direction, you'll break the port.
yes it is my only real gripe with the Mavic controllers , i think omitting the bottom USB for this controller was a step to far in cost cutting

Reactions: Thomas B
You might also need to double check that your otter box is sending data and not just charging the cables. I have had issues with some otter box's not allowing data to pass through their charging port to the phone device.

Next is to make a short cable to limit power to 10mA max using a resistor to inhibit charge on Androids. Might modify one of the two OTG cables.
Before you go 'hacking' the cable, check your Settings in Android. 'Settings' / 'System' / 'Developer Options' / 'Always prompt when connecting to USB'. If you have that control switch, flip it on, and when you connect the Android device to the controller, you should get a pop-up box giving you 3 options. Select 'File Transfer only' and you then won't get the controller trying to charge your phone!

Before you go 'hacking' the cable, check your Settings in Android. 'Settings' / 'System' / 'Developer Options' / 'Always prompt when connecting to USB'. If you have that control switch, flip it on, and when you connect the Android device to the controller, you should get a pop-up box giving you 3 options. Select 'File Transfer only' and you then won't get the controller trying to charge your phone!
it did not work before for me, but, worth to try again.

Try connection without your otter box and and see if connection works. If it does, problem is not the phone or cable but you case.

Reactions: old man mavic
but it is not a magnetic cable. it is same that RCGeek sells for $7.
Be careful with the magnetic tipped cable. I used to use them on my Mavic Pro controller as a charging attachment. But even the low magnetism in the tip - which was all I left in the side port while flying - was enough to upset the Hall Effect sensors that the left-hand joystick uses to sense movement. I got a slow drift that I could not correct - until I removed the magnetic tip from the side port (I now charge the controller using a reversible mini-USB). I'd not recommend using a cable on your controller that also included the full magnetic connector body! I think you might find it does cause you some problems.

I have a Mavic Mini (my first drone) I have decided to get a phone holder (see image) for my iPhone 7 Plus which is in an Otterbox Defender case.

So, what I believe I will need is a Micro USB to Lightning cable? The Lighting must NOT be a right angle configuration. It needs to be straight so that it can connect into the phone. I have looked and looked and I cannot find one. It would have to be, I'm guessing 8 to 12 inches long.

Does such a thing exist? If you know where I can get one please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 86049
I was able to order one from Dronevalley.com, arrived in New Zealand in a week...great service !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98