DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help...no stablility....

Two points.
1) The comment about the screws not being home worries me a bit. Given the TINY diameter of the screw threads you need to be VERY CAREFUL that you do not cross thread them and damage the female threads in the motors. I am concerned that you thought the screws presumably felt tight enough to be home when they were not. When inserting a screw it might be an idea for you to stop as soon as you fell resistance and visually check that the screw head is parallel to the top of the motor. I try too hold the blade hub down on the motor top so that it's bore acts as a guide for the screw.

2) These screws come with tiny dobs of thread locker on them. That thread locker may not survive repeated insertions. You should check 'old' screws to ensure that thread locker is present. If not add some but apply ONLY A TINY drop using the tip of a tooth pick or whittled down match etc. Too much could cause problems.
I fear this may have been the case in a few of the screws.....soooo I am guessing this would affect the flight then???

..soooo I am guessing this would affect the flight then???
Truthfully I am not certain whether it would affect stability, these drones have clever control systems that can compensate for some damage. There have been threads in here where a drone broke off part of a blade but remained controllable and was landed safely, there might even be one thread where an entire blade broke of at the root and the drone remained flyable.

Depending of the direction of lean of a cross threaded screw it could change the angle of attack of a blade or raise/lower the blade tip and anything in between. It might also cause the blade to jam before it is correctly 'extended' positioned.
For the affected motor these could all cause asymmetrical lift/thrust and an imbalance in weight distibution about the motor's rotational axis and this asymmetry presumably also moves around the motors rotational axis.
If this is correct I am not sure if, at speed, this will result in the motor trying to rotate around the centre of lift but from memory if will attempt to rotate about the actual centre of gravity of the blades.
I am rusty, to say the least, on that stuff and really you need someone with more recent experience to address the matter.
None of the above is good but my biggest concern is
a) damage to the female threads in the motor and the subsequent surety with which they will hold correctly installed screws. If their surety fails in flight you could lose a blade in flight and even if the drone survives you are probably looking at a new motor to regain the surety .
b) a not fully home screw coming out in flight etc. etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB