DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help...no stablility....

ClaretDiver

Reactions
Can anyone shed some light? I have just replaced all the props on my Mini and have defo got them on the right arms. The reason being was I was getting some shuddering. Now, the shuddering has gone but the drone has zero stability in the air, it is moving around quite a bit in the air. The wind is very very mild if any at all....is there some other function I need to know about?

First thing DO NOT update firmware or the app until others have answered etc. it may screw up the ability to get useful logs from the phone for requested test flights.

Have done both an IMU and also a compass calib, also took props off and reattached....they are defo paired. I am going to try everything again in the morning...would it be worth checking firmware via DJI Assistant

how is the drone moving when it is hovering is it just up and down or is it unable to keep in one place in the other axis ,if it was not moving erratically before the prop change,then i would have to say that it is most likely to be prop related for some reason

Reactions: Capt KO and A.O.
Can you post a photo of the drone so that we can see clearly the colour bands on the tips on every blade?
What height was the test flight perfomed at? The difference in wind speeds with height can be surprising.
I would tend to perform intital prop check flights indoors, put the guards on (if you have them) if you lack confidence in the drone.

If I do a prop check flight I do it in a well lit room (so that the VPS system can control the drone).
I take off, normally using manual control, and go straight up to two or three feet and then let the drone hover for a minute or so and then manually land.
It seems better to ensure that nothing under the drone can lfap in its down draught and for the surface to have a clear and bold 'pattern' etc. in my case two separated sheets of wood on a carpet.
Then I check the txt log using the charts available via CsvView.
If youwish to try an indoor flight but fear it will wander make sure the room is empty and know how to land using manual control.

Can you try the indoor check flight and do you know how to get the logs. What app version are you CURRENTLY using and on what 'phone'?

v1.2.5? Using an iPhone 11. Just tried it indoors, is not 100% steady but better than before, seems to drift on all axis

Have you tried putting the original props back on to do a flight test and see if this "behavior" persists? It could be a faulty prop or something.

Reactions: careless and A.O.
Ahh, you may be out of luck with regards to logs, the DAT may be encrypted but it is worth having a look "just in case" to see if CsvView can read it.
I recently put 1.2.4 on my android phone (I have a Mavic Mini) and the txt logs produce under 1.2.4 are encrypted but I have just had a look at what I think is the relevant DAT file and CsvView can read it. I am going to have to go through my logs and work out if I am looking at the correct log rather than just "thinking I am".
1.2.4. is now off that phone and an older version of the app back on it, unfortunately I don't think you have that option with IOS or perhaps that it is nowhere near as easy as it is with android.

So I have taken the props off and reattached them once again. They are defo in the right configuration. Have tried it again indoors and there is astill some movement on all axis but not as much. I am going to try a test flight later and take some video to see what happens.

You could have as little as one bad prop to produce these results.... make sure you inspect the props closely to make sure they all have the same pitch. It could be cross threaded or just deformed. All props should move freely by hand around screws

Did you see the message about the flight logs?
I did mate, gonna try that later too, just realised the screws were just not tight enough....just tightened them fully then gonna try again!! Gosh...whould would have thought this drone flying malarkey would be so hard lol

Two points.
1) The comment about the screws not being home worries me a bit. Given the TINY diameter of the screw threads you need to be VERY CAREFUL that you do not cross thread them and damage the female threads in the motors. I am concerned that you thought the screws presumably felt tight enough to be home when they were not. When inserting a screw it might be an idea for you to stop as soon as you fell resistance and visually check that the screw head is parallel to the top of the motor. I try too hold the blade hub down on the motor top so that it's bore acts as a guide for the screw.

2) These screws come with tiny dobs of thread locker on them. That thread locker may not survive repeated insertions. You should check 'old' screws to ensure that thread locker is present. If not add some but apply ONLY A TINY drop using the tip of a tooth pick or whittled down match etc. Too much could cause problems.

with regards to the method of the way the props are attached on the Minis, then that is one of the most important things to get right ,and also one of the most difficult things to achieve if you have not had experience of working with such small fine threaded screws before ,and in my opinion it is a real shortcoming of the Mini drones in an effort just to save weight

Your having written that last sentence has made me wonder why they stuck with this attachment method when they had 'weight to spare'? I think a M2P etc. like attachment method would be well worth a few add grammes. Or even a P3 like method but that would entail a small and possibly weak plastic thread.

Reactions: ronnyhome
Soooo....success, just taken her out for a flight and really put her through her paces in all 3 modes and she is handling really well now....also hovering well too....thank you all for your input, it's certainly a learning curve....not to try and access flight logs and try to understand them....lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78