DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with new rule Remote ID reqiuerments

I’m trying to figure this out like most of us.

I’ve heard some people says it’s because of Amazon and UPS that we are getting these rules. I get the idea of tracking drones owned by Amazon and UPS, but why would the FAA need personal drone info?

Is Amazon pushing for Remote ID? If so why?

Thanks for the help,

I’ve only been a Part 107 pilot for a month and there’s a ton of info I’m trying to take in.

It's an attempt to come up with a comprehensive reporting system that will enable deconfliction of sUAS and manned air traffic. The push to develop commercial operations such as sUAS delivery systems is certainly one of the drivers, but it's obviously going to need to cover all significant sUAS traffic, including Part 107 and recreational.

The way I understand it is that you have to have an internet connection that broadcast your drones location to someone. Or you have to Fly in a CBO area only.
I have no data plan on my Ipad so does this mean I can't fly anywere but a CBO no?
Does this apply to old drones or just new one being mfg?
Also what if theres no Internet service were you are.

The only drones sold in us that can fly outside of approved community organization areas will either have direct “broadcasting” of required data and an internet connection, or just internet connection. These must be active from takeoff to landing and a mechanism in place to assure compliance in the field. If, during a flight, there is loss of ability to transmit via broadcast and internet, the pilot must land as soon as possible.

“Legacy” drones without such capability, and hobbyist made drones without such capability will be restricted to designated flying areas after the full implementation date, about three years from approval.

This whole idea sucks. If transponders are required in drones you can expect the cost of them to triple. Furthermore, whether or not you are breaking any rules, the Barney Fife types of LEOS will be flexing their muscles left and right, since they will know every time your bird is in the air.

If you read the proposal, there is a very concise estimate of total costs to owners, manufacturers etc. I assume that much of the manufacturer cost will also be borne by the consumer?

Transponders are not required, and in fact will be forbidden in our drones.

They do not want transponders, but rather that the drone “broadcast” the data elements. They have not yet determined the structure of how the broadcast messages will be received or by whom, except it will be FAA contractors. A whole national system will have to be planned and set up for receipt of those messages in real time and passed on to FAA.

They do not want transponders, but rather that the drone “broadcast” the data elements. They have not yet determined the structure of how the broadcast messages will be received or by whom, except it will be FAA contractors. A whole national system will have to be planned and set up for receipt of those messages in real time and passed on to FAA.
Exactly the reason all of us need to make comment to DOT and FAA.

I just wrote an article on the proposed rule for dronephotographybible.com. I make some suggestions but primarily we have to send in comments to the FAA asking them to change the rule. They are not going to completely abandon the idea but might change it a bit so we can all live with it. The FAA’s Proposed Rule On Remote Identification Will Kill Drone Flying

Reactions: Thomas B
I just wrote an article on the proposed rule for dronephotographybible.com. I make some suggestions but primarily we have to send in comments to the FAA asking them to change the rule. They are not going to completely abandon the idea but might change it a bit so we can all live with it. The FAA’s Proposed Rule On Remote Identification Will Kill Drone Flying

Jack, great article! One thing that is taken for granted by several worried about the proposed regulations is that DJI drones, such as the Mavics, already transmit ID information and depending on the format that the FAA uses for Remote ID, existing DJI drones might be able to be firmware updated to be compliant with it.

The only drones sold in us that can fly outside of approved community organization areas will either have direct “broadcasting” of required data and an internet connection, or just internet connection. These must be active from takeoff to landing and a mechanism in place to assure compliance in the field. If, during a flight, there is loss of ability to transmit via broadcast and internet, the pilot must land as soon as possible.
Close.
You must have the ability to broadcast all the time and the ability to connect to the internet when it's available.

finally found a thread on this subject where the thread was not shut down, good grief.
This is a forum, there is supposed to be discussions aren't there? If people get mouthy, give them a time-out, not shut the whole discussion down. Especially an important one like this. So much bullying and power trips on this forum; like most.

Anyway, on this Remote ID subject:

Isn't it convenient that there are these "mystery drones" flying over rural Colorado from 7pm to 10 pm lately and FAA and law enforcement say they don't know who it is or what company?

4 to 6 foot drones, flying grid patterns, maybe 200 feet above the ground, 30 mph, one hoovered over a little town the ENTIRE night, bla, bla, bla , fear, fear , fear.

Perfect timing. Tap into the emotions of the masses to get them to ASK for more laws, so they feel safe.

I'm pissed about the proposed new rule and will do my part and write the FAA within the next few days.

I have a mavic pro and have flown it a lot these past 3 years. I registered and put the FAA number on it, like i was supposed to, before I ever flew it.

I'm fine with FAA numbers on our drones over 0.55 lbs. That way, if someone does something stupid and wrecks their drone doing or going somewhere they shouldn't have, it has a number on it.

But emitting a remote ID signal is too much in my opinion.

What if a big company or even state government is doing something illegal and I want to document it with my UAV and collect proof? I don't want them to hear a drone in the sky and be able to learn that it's me; then cause me all kinds of trouble.

I think collision with passenger aircraft is NOT the FAA's concern. I think civilian drones are a powerful tool and the government doesn't want civilians to be able to monitor things.

There are plenty of bigger things that fly and don't need remote ID emitting software and fly above 400 feet. Powered paragliders, gliders, ultra-lites, hang-gliders, paragliders, etc.

How is putting out a signal going to prevent collision with a passenger aircraft anyway? It's not. It's for policing/ monitoring, punishing. Yes, punishing does hinder people from doing illegal things.

But I think registering my mavic pro and putting an FAA number on it, definitely makes me follow the rules. I don't want it to collide with an aircraft above 400 feet, I don't want it found in a no-fly zone.

Maybe 2 million UAVs in the USA and I think the public has been quite responsible with their 2 million drones.

Or else you would see "drone hits" every day on the news, cause you know drone drama sells in the news.

Yes. Quite the coincidence.

Reactions: TheXmanJDD
I wrote an article for Drone Photography Bible about the proposed rule. I strongly disagree with those who say our comments will do no good. The FAA will take into consideration reasonable suggestions from comments. And I don't mean people complaining that their rights are being taken away by a fascist Big Brother government or that we shouldn't have rules period.

The AMA has started a successful campaign to get its members to comment and even provides a form letter to use. However, the AMA comments DO NOTHING FOR DRONE OPERATORS. Their comments are only aimed at protecting RC airplane and helicopter operations at CBO (community based organization) sanctioned websites. It does not even mention drones and does nothing to challenge the restriction of drone operation to 400 feet of the controller. That will kill the hobby altogether save for those who are content to fly a limited radius at sanctioned flying sites. (Boring) It makes most of the country off limits to drone operation. I commented and proposed that the FAA allow UAS's using the defined limited remote identification (through an internet connection) and permitting, as they do now, UAS flights within line-of sight. That is a reasonable compromise which would allow most of us to operate safely. It does not take into account many areas of the country without cellular service, and indeed some of the most beautiful for drone photography which would become off-limits, but at least it permits us some latitude. The FAA Proposed Rule On Remote Identification Will Kill Drone Flying

If you want to keep flying drones, please comment.

Here is the link to the article which contains links to the proposed regulation and comment pages.

Do it ASAP.... comment on this FAA page:

Concerning comments to the FAA, I just wrote mine and would strongly encourage everyone to do the same - maybe some reality can be brought forward to the proposal.
My comments to them involve recreational flying in remote areas. I do video in remote portions of Maine and never have WiFi coverage and in most cases no Cell coverage. In my situation, I would be out of luck for flying. The designated FAA fly areas will have no effect on remote flying as they will be (from what I gather) small areas that are formally requested by CBO's (Community Based Organizations). There is no way any community is going to request a special fly area in the middle any remote area.
Anyway, that's it - please comment to the FAA.

Concerning comments to the FAA, I just wrote mine and would strongly encourage everyone to do the same - maybe some reality can be brought forward to the proposal.
My comments to them involve recreational flying in remote areas. I do video in remote portions of Maine and never have WiFi coverage and in most cases no Cell coverage. In my situation, I would be out of luck for flying. The designated FAA fly areas will have no effect on remote flying as they will be (from what I gather) small areas that are formally requested by CBO's (Community Based Organizations). There is no way any community is going to request a special fly area in the middle any remote area.
Anyway, that's it - please comment to the FAA.

If the aircraft is able to self broadcast the telemetry then you can fly w/o WifI/Cellular etc. We fly in very remote areas so this is of concern but there is an allowance to potentially not have a problem so long as the Aircraft Can Transmit!! Only time will tell what they will require . . .

If the aircraft is able to self broadcast the telemetry then you can fly w/o WifI/Cellular etc. We fly in very remote areas so this is of concern but there is an allowance to potentially not have a problem so long as the Aircraft Can Transmit!! Only time will tell what they will require . . .
Yes, and a key element is that there is currently no requirement that the broadcast signal from the AC be received by anyone or anything. Only that the signal meets a performance standard. At a minimum, that opens up all Class G in the boondocks.

Reactions: BigAl07
I wrote my comment on the FAA site. I've decided not to worry anymore about it. Its going to be a couple years before we have to really worry about it and even then I'm not. The chance's of a cop coming up to me at the places I fly are so remote that I m just gonna fly.I'm not near any airports or people just out in the wilderness , or in my back yard and there not going to bother me here.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
The way I understand it is that you have to have an internet connection that broadcast your drones location to someone. Or you have to Fly in a CBO area only.
I have no data plan on my Ipad so does this mean I can't fly anywere but a CBO no?
Does this apply to old drones or just new one being mfg?
Also what if theres no Internet service were you are.
I know nothing about how it will work. However, seems if we're using GPS and our drone is registered the identification is already able to be remotely identifiable. So I suspect not much will seem different in practice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000