DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with pixelated video

rlmv

Reactions
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to video processing. I shot this yesterday with my Mavic Air using a FS Labs ND64 polarized filter. It was processed in Adobe Premiere Pro using a "GC-Titan_Cinelike-D_to_Rec709" LUT. When viewing in 4K, the sky looks pixelated. It's not the LUT because when I set it to "none" I can still see the pixelation in Adobe.

I believe these were the settings:
Manual mode
ISO 100
1/50th
4k 24fps
D-Cinelike
Video format MP4
Style 0, -3, -1

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? Is it fixable?

Thanks!

**PLEASE click on the word "pixelated" to watch the video in 4k.

Last edited:
I don't see any pixelation on attached footage but have you tried proxy files in Adobe Premiere Pro?

Thanks for the initial responses. I noticed the embedded video looks fine, but when viewing on YouTube in 4k, it looks pixelated to me.

Yep it really looks good already, the problem have been solved by now?
No I didn't change anything. Question for those that are saying they're not seeing any problem. Are you looking at the embedded video, or did you click into the video and watch it in 4k? Please do the latter and let me know if you see what I'm referring to.

Hi,

I looked at both and I know my eyesight is not what it used to be but it looked fine to me....

Where are you seeing the pixilation ?

If it is in the shadows that would make sense as it is nearly impossible to balance a bright blue sky and trees on the ground at the same time... The ND filter can take care of the sky but of course anything in shadow areas will be exaggerated further... This is coming form a photography background, not video or drone but I believe the concepts are still the same. :)

I viewed it on my Dell 30" monitor as well as my macbook pro and I'm seeing it in the blue sky, in particular the darker area. Here's a screenshot of what I'm referring to.

pixels.jpg

I viewed it on my Dell 30" monitor as well as my macbook pro and I'm seeing it in the blue sky, in particular the darker area. Here's a screenshot of what I'm referring to.

View attachment 46976
Mate,

Again I am struggling to see it.. Perhaps you are being too picky ? Otherwise try it without the filter... I have the odd bad experience with filters over the years especially with sharpness of images...

Do you notice it in the actual video ? Have you exported it to make a proper movie then view it ? Just some ideas, I am still new at this drone and video thing :)

Yes I see it in the pre-processed video and in the YouTube 4K version. I’ll try again without the filter to see if it’s still there but the uneven blue in the top left side is definitely not normal.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to video processing. I shot this yesterday with my Mavic Air using a FS Labs ND64 polarized filter. It was processed in Adobe Premiere Pro using a "GC-Titan_Cinelike-D_to_Rec709" LUT. When viewing in 4K, the sky looks pixelated. It's not the LUT because when I set it to "none" I can still see the pixelation in Adobe.

Manual mode
ISO 100
1/50th
4k 24fps
D-Cinelike
Video format MP4
Style 0, -3, -1

Thanks!

Manual mode
ISO 100
1/50th
4k 24fps
D-Cinelike
Video format MP4
Style 0, -3, -1

Thanks!

The videos looks fine to me. No grains, no pixels. You may want to check your internet connection

The videos looks fine to me. No grains, no pixels. You may want to check your internet connection

It's definitely not an internet speed issue as 1) I have 100+Mbps download and 2) as I mentioned above it's showing up in the local file too. Did you see the screenshot from post #9?
How is it that no one else can see this but me? It's not major pixelation, but the sky is splotchy in the upper left area.

I know this is an old thread but not sure if covered else where, but for those who find this thread and are looking for answers.
Its to do with bitrate/compression and the over all video / dynamic range...
if you look at the size of the drones, the video you get out of it is fairly good? and the video is colourful and sharp.... but it does not compare to a proper camera that is much bigger and can handle colours and the range of light, putting it into a decent format to be pushed around and coloured later in software.
its writing alot of data to a limited file like h.264/5... these file formats cant handle being pushed around and being coloured much in software... and even if not coloured at all in editing... when put onto youtube inevitably colours are going to get squashed by youtube to fit their compression standards (dealing with large amounts of date from millions of people ... daily)...
this blockiness is more likely to pop out if your sticking a look/lut on the video in software... but it also can be down to just the range of light/colours in the video that the drone is trying to capture...
if you expose more for the sky it should capture the blues better than trying to pull them back out in editing.... you can also use filters on the drone camera to try and capture the sky in the right way... like a CPL...
but its a fine balance between ground tones/colours and the sky blues etc which is much brighter obviously because of the light but then drones camera sesor is only small and captures what it can due to its size... the companies making drones have a balance of features / specs to suit the users ... for fun / capturing activities... but also make them affortable to consumers or semi pro users etc!
one way to check for this blockiness in editing software if yours supports it is using 'scopes' like waveform ... you will see blockiness on the colour waveforms... and genreally try not to pull the colours around to much keep it balanced.
so some summary....
Dont pull around the footage to much in software, if you do use scopes to check your work and look for artifacts of the video being damaged by being pushed around...
if you havent coloured/edited it... then try capturing the footage with better settings/exposure... and try filters like CPL... you can adjust it to try and capture blues better
Hope this helps anyone in future or past ;) seeking some answers!!

-----
ATTACHED - waveform of over saturated image showing blockiness / distorted blue waveform... wave forms should be nice and smooth for undistored colours

Attachments

• BLUE SKY BLOCK.PNG
    BLUE SKY BLOCK.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000