DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help With What Tablet To buy

Katash

Reactions
Hello,

I'd like to get an 8" tablet to use with my mavic but not an iPad - I am aware the recommended android tablet is the Shield K1 but does it for in the grips without an adapter like the iPad does?

If not .... which android tablet that CAN fit neatly in the grips like the iPad does do people use?

Thanks.

I've got a new (T713) Galaxy Tab S2. Fits better that the Mini 4 (it doesn't accidentally hit the Sport Mode switch...) I rooted it and laid down the LineageOS ROM. Works great and have had exactly no stability issues with it. I did buy a 9" double right angle USB cable (A to micro) to keep getting tangled and allow me to mount the buttons to the outside. Also, this tab doesn't have the magnets (at least that I could find) that can cause issues. The bigger Tab S models do (at least my Tab S 10.2 does).

Also do a search on Wundertab. That seems to be a less expensive option.

I am using the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8" (SM-T710). Fits great. For the most part it is pretty stable but I have had DJI GO app crash when using the Intelligent Flight Modes....especially the new QuickShot. Seems to be an Android issue from everything I have read.

Last edited:
Wow thanks .... I assume it works ok without having to root & change the ROM?

Nope. It was total POS with the Samsung version of Android and all the bloatware. USB is really unstable under Samsung's stock software. I think their Knox security software exercises too much control over the USB.

Hello, hope all is well. I have been flying my mavic with a Samsung amp Prime phone. I purchased a Samsung Tab a, 10.1 and have started to fly with it. Had to buy an adapter for the grips. It works very well, but it's not a crystal sky. I'm happy with it though. With that said You may wish to consider buying an adapter for the grips and going for a larger screen. A little heavier. The tab a has pretty good resolution. Best wishes.

I am using the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8". Fits great. For the most part it is pretty stable but I have had DJI GO app crash when using the Intelligent Flight Modes....especially the new QuickShot. Seems to be an Android issue from everything I have read.

Mine is standard with all the retail stuff it comes with. Looking into going to an iPad mini (used). Nothing more unnerving then when the app craps out while in the middle of executing an Intelligent Flight Mode. Remote is fine and if you have line of sight usually not a problem, but if it's beyond sight, you either try to get app back up and running or RTH until you get sight of it again.

I have an acer iconia one B1 780 $90 Canadian it has a GPS in ot and has worked flawless for me for about a year I guess. I did hook my note 4 up to it but it didn't like it and burnt out. Never put another phone on it but I do like that acre

0c180f7071b202ecc28fe5719a87143f.jpg

Think I'll probably end up getting a second hand ipad. .... don't like them but I'm only gonna be using it for the mavic and I'm sick of the android crash on go4

Reactions: Mr. Moe
I've just attempted to use new Samsung S2 tab. Pain to connect, it does but have to do a restart on the s2 to get it to connect and that doesn't always work first time. Strange I've not had any connection issues with Samsung S8. Yet to fly with tablet. That'll be this weekends adventure.

I've just attempted to use new Samsung S2 tab. Pain to connect, it does but have to do a restart on the s2 to get it to connect and that doesn't always work first time. Strange I've not had any connection issues with Samsung S8. Yet to fly with tablet. That'll be this weekends adventure.

That was my experience and which led me to scrap Samsung's Android implementation. @msinger has a tip sheet for DJI GO on Android here: Install DJI GO on an Android Tablet or Phone (Step-by-Step Guide) - Phantom Help. Be careful of disconnects while flying with the Tab S2 and be ready to fly back blind.

Reactions: Rutland1265
That was my experience and which led me to scrap Samsung's Android implementation. @msinger has a tip sheet for DJI GO on Android here: Install DJI GO on an Android Tablet or Phone (Step-by-Step Guide) - Phantom Help. Be careful of disconnects while flying with the Tab S2 and be ready to fly back blind.

Okay, MadValley's solution intrigued me so I rooted my Samsung Galaxy S2 8.0" (SM-T710) and laid down the Poseidon v1.0 ROM. LineageOS ROM only has Beta version for T710. Just did some flight testing with my MavicPro. Put the tablet in Airplane Mode and turned Video Caching off in DJI4 GO app. Ran it through all the QuickShot modes which usually caused the DJI4 GO app to crash. No issues. Ran through multiple iterations and I couldn't get it to crash or lock up. So I then turned Video Caching back on. Doing just regular flying with video recording, app loses connection with MavicPro. RTH and even at close proximity app still says "Aircraft Disconnected". RC was fine and fully functional the entire time. Had to kill the app, unplug USB and re-plug to get it to communicate again. Tried to do a QuickShot mode and the app crashed. Turned Video Caching back off and did another regular flight and a QuickShot and it all worked fine. Confirmed I have plenty of space on my internal storage. Suspect that the Video Caching puts too much overhead on this tablet to keep up. So now I am trying to decide how bad I want that Video Caching which means going to iPad Mini 4 ($$$) or just living with that feature disabled.

Reactions: mavawa and cranngel
Hello,

I'd like to get an 8" tablet to use with my mavic but not an iPad - I am aware the recommended android tablet is the Shield K1 but does it for in the grips without an adapter like the iPad does?

If not .... which android tablet that CAN fit neatly in the grips like the iPad does do people use?

Thanks.

iPad 9.7. iPad mini 4. Umm did I say iPad? Lol. I had all kinds of issues with android devices. Went apple. Never looked back. You won’t regret it. My iPhone 7 works mint. And I just found a deal at Best Buy. Open box deal. Brand new iPad 9.7 for 250$.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones