DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HELP?

MaxedOut

Reactions
Do you need permission from anyone if you are under the max gridded altitude? If so who? Thanks!

If you are referring to the LAANC facility grids then yes - that's controlled airspace. You need LAANC approval, either through one of the FAA LAANC partner apps for green grids or via the FAA DroneZone dashboard airspace authorization system for red grids.

First off WELCOME to the forum.

Your question comes up fairly often and it's easy to see how it could be confusing.

The GRID Altitude is merely a reference to the Max Height you "might" get approved to fly if you submit a request for that sector. From the tips of the grass UP you'll need Authorization prior to flying in that sector at all. You're not guaranteed to get approval for that altitude but that's the highest altitude you MIGHT get approval for. It keeps us from applying for something like 400' in a 100' sector.

Hope this helps some.

Since I have never been 'over the pond' and MaxedOut's location is UK does LAANC & DroneZone cover airspace over there ?

Since I have never been 'over the pond' and MaxedOut's location is UK does LAANC & DroneZone cover airspace over there ?

Good point - I didn't notice the UK location. LAANC is US only, so I'm not sure which grids were being referred to.

Do you need permission from anyone if you are under the max gridded altitude? If so who? Thanks!
More information is needed to answer your questions accurately.
What exactly do you mean?

Assuming (as your profile suggests) you are referring to operations in the UK, ignore answers thus far on this thread since they are US specific and are not relevant for CAP393 or UK airspace.

While this is of course "inside intel" the OP is posting from USA and the post specifically states
"max gridded altitude " which I don't know of anything like that in the other countries. So I think we're safe to "assume" they meant FAA UAS Facility Maps.

Here's a link to the main FAA page:

First paragraph from that page reads:
UAS Facility Maps show the maximum altitudes around airports where the FAA may authorize part 107 UAS operations without additional safety analysis. The maps should be used to inform requests for part 107 airspace authorizations and waivers in controlled airspace.

and here is the disclaimer on that very page:
NOTE: These maps DO NOT authorize operations in these areas at the depicted altitudes – they are for informational purposes ONLY. Operators must still apply to operate in controlled airspace (Class B, C, D, or surface area E) by completing a Part 107 Airspace Authorization or Waiver Application in the FAA DroneZone.

Reactions: Thomas B
While this is of course "inside intel" the OP is posting from USA and the post specifically states
"max gridded altitude " which I don't know of anything like that in the other countries. So I think we're safe to "assume" they meant FAA UAS Facility Maps.

Here's a link to the main FAA page:

First paragraph from that page reads:
UAS Facility Maps show the maximum altitudes around airports where the FAA may authorize part 107 UAS operations without additional safety analysis. The maps should be used to inform requests for part 107 airspace authorizations and waivers in controlled airspace.

and here is the disclaimer on that very page:
NOTE: These maps DO NOT authorize operations in these areas at the depicted altitudes – they are for informational purposes ONLY. Operators must still apply to operate in controlled airspace (Class B, C, D, or surface area E) by completing a Part 107 Airspace Authorization or Waiver Application in the FAA DroneZone.
That’s why we need more info.:)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtlesn