DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Helton Creek Falls - outside of Blairsville, GA

tlswift58

Reactions
Helton Creek Falls is a nice 70 foot or so tall fall that is truly 2 parts. The main upper falls area and then a smaller lower falls with a nice pool at the base that many people use in summer to cool off in.

Video starts at lower base pool / falls and works its way up to main falls and the creek feed from above, which without a drone - you'd never see without a mad scramble / bushwhack up to it.

You are well on your way to having a great "Falls" compilation video.

I don't have any real video software, so these are straight from the drone and maybe some small enhancements in Lightroom.

My buddies do all the video cutting / pasting / music stuff, but I'm still learning the "basics" on videoing with a drone. Skills are a must when droning waterfalls, esp here with all the tree cover. I'm working on that as much as I can, then move on to video presentation.

One of my drone buddies is a "cowboy" and he makes it look so simple and easy, but he has lost 4-5 drones in the process over the last year. I still have my original Air2 (1 year). Being a "senior" with less than great coordination / eyesight - it's quite the learning curve and to become "one" with the drone.

With spring approaching and far more rain and some leaf cover to actually see all those tiny branches hanging out there - hope to have more videos to post of better quality. Where I live in Western NC, if you count North Georgia and Upstate South Carolina - we have a good 500 falls with in a 100 mile area. Some are worthy of the hike to them and others, well - maybe not. Many also require a good rain beforehand before they truly shine.

I don't have any real video software, so these are straight from the drone and maybe some small enhancements in Lightroom.

My buddies do all the video cutting / pasting / music stuff, but I'm still learning the "basics" on videoing with a drone. Skills are a must when droning waterfalls, esp here with all the tree cover. I'm working on that as much as I can, then move on to video presentation.

One of my drone buddies is a "cowboy" and he makes it look so simple and easy, but he has lost 4-5 drones in the process over the last year. I still have my original Air2 (1 year). Being a "senior" with less than great coordination / eyesight - it's quite the learning curve and to become "one" with the drone.

With spring approaching and far more rain and some leaf cover to actually see all those tiny branches hanging out there - hope to have more videos to post of better quality. Where I live in Western NC, if you count North Georgia and Upstate South Carolina - we have a good 500 falls with in a 100 mile area. Some are worthy of the hike to them and others, well - maybe not. Many also require a good rain beforehand before they truly shine.
You can always include ground level stills in a video with moving drone shots. Since photos are hi-res naturally, you can do a move on them in editing that used to be known as "Pan & Scan." It simply means you tighten up on the still and set keyframes to slowly move the picture left-to-right, or up-and-down or vice-versa. Your friend will know what to do.

I've been in professional video production for over 45 years. At work I use Adobe software products but I can't afford them for personal video editing. So, I researched a whole bunch of editing software and finally chose Blackmagic Resolve. They have a free, yes, free version and it does a lot for free. I'm having a blast learning it now. Eventually, I will upgrade to the full version and the price is still reasonable for what you get. Look it up on line. I highly recommend it. Three more years of full-time work for me, then it's retirement and I plan to do a lot of fun, personal videos, shooting in beautiful places like you have there. I use a company drone now (Mavic 2 Pro) but I'll buy my own when I retire.

Reactions: tlswift58
You can always include ground level stills in a video with moving drone shots. Since photos are hi-res naturally, you can do a move on them in editing that used to be known as "Pan & Scan." It simply means you tighten up on the still and set keyframes to slowly move the picture left-to-right, or up-and-down or vice-versa. Your friend will know what to do.

I've been in professional video production for over 45 years. At work I use Adobe software products but I can't afford them for personal video editing. So, I researched a whole bunch of editing software and finally chose Blackmagic Resolve. They have a free, yes, free version and it does a lot for free. I'm having a blast learning it now. Eventually, I will upgrade to the full version and the price is still reasonable for what you get. Look it up on line. I highly recommend it. Three more years of full-time work for me, then it's retirement and I plan to do a lot of fun, personal videos, shooting in beautiful places like you have there. I use a company drone now (Mavic 2 Pro) but I'll buy my own when I retire.

Good info. Heard on here that many use DaVinci, but it has a "learning" curve. LOL - when did software made today not have a learning curve. I have used Lightroom for photos for quite awhile and still a novice at it. I've got the bought and paid for version 6, before they went subscriber based and got pretty expensive. I get that your software is always up to date and it has the "bells & whistles" that some people like / need, but I'm not in that space. Doubtful I will ever be, as going commercial is not my goal. I drone because #1 - it's fun (and scary too). #2 - it gets me off the couch, out of the house, and getting some exercise. I can go back to the same falls - which I do often as they are so close - and they are always different. Different water flow, different lighting, different seasons, and so on - you know what I'm getting at.

Retirement is nice, but you have to have things to do - goals sort of. If not, then you'll waste away sitting on the couch.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S