DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Video of Brasstown Falls on Georgia / South Carolina Border

tlswift58

Reactions
One of quite a few recent trips waterfalling in my area of NC / GA / SC.

Brasstown Falls is a multi-level fall. The video only captures the lower portion of the falls, as there is a nice fall called Upper Brasstown further up the creek.

This part of the falls is comprised of the main falls (top), veil (a 15-20 ft vertical drop), and the sluice as it runs between some boulders. Video starts at the veil and move to main falls. Many obstacles along the way - tree limbs and such that had to be very careful of.

The way the falling water in the main falls, at the start of the video, is seemingly falling towards a common point is bizzare, did you capture that by coincidence or planning?

Reactions: tlswift58
A great setting to capture video. Work with lowering your yaw speed and practice with the cinematic setting to create a more fluid flight and eliminate your frequent stops and turns. A great start. Always nervousness at first not wanting to hit trees and small branches. Looking forward to your next video.

Reactions: DaveS and tlswift58
The way the falling water in the main falls, at the start of the video, is seemingly falling towards a common point is bizzare, did you capture that by coincidence or planning?

I wanted to capture the "veil" or the free flowing falls, as that is pretty cool by itself. Due to so many "obstacles" over the creek / falls as it quite noticeable, I did not want to go any further away and thought a high angle of the "veil" would be awesome. So, somewhat planned, but the falls get all the credit.

A great setting to capture video. Work with lowering your yaw speed and practice with the cinematic setting to create a more fluid flight and eliminate your frequent stops and turns. A great start. Always nervousness at first not wanting to hit trees and small branches. Looking forward to your next video.

Thanks. Yes, even in tripod mode - some of the movements are noticeable - so working on being more fluid. With no leaves on very small branches to "see" them - it's hard to not have the start / stop / move when you do see the branches right in front of you.

This particular fall had more canopy directly over the creek from 15-20 feet than many falls I have been to recently.

Also, at 63 yr olds - my coordination / dexterity / eyesight is not that of a 20-30 yr old; but am working on better movements for a nicer flow. Easier on falls /areas where not so much canopy cover to be on the lookout for too. Yet, it is Western NC and we do have A LOT of trees to deal with.

I think it was gutsy to fly there at all. Can't imagine where you took-off from?! ...hand held? There are several good tips from my fellow forum contributors. May I add, if you get back there, try to shoot that large falls in slow motion but with a slow shutter speed. Then, keep the drone very still. It will give you an awesome blur on the moving water...would also make a great photo.

Reactions: tlswift58
I think it was gutsy to fly there at all. Can't imagine where you took-off from?! ...hand held? There are several good tips from my fellow forum contributors. May I add, if you get back there, try to shoot that large falls in slow motion but with a slow shutter speed. Then, keep the drone very still. It will give you an awesome blur on the moving water...would also make a great photo.

Flew from several locations while there - one place below the "veil," but due to way too many obstacles, the video was not worthy of posting.

This video, I was actually upstream from the start right past the "veil" and then moved upstream - me and my buddy are seen on the creek bank. Several places to take off from on rocks / boulders, but we usually hand catch on return as time is limited and harder to land on a rock than take off from.

Shooting the "veil" is very doable in a stationary manner, once you clear the trees there.

Thanks for the suggestion - did not think of that while there. I do shoot with my DSLR in slow shutter for that blur. I don't typically carry a tripod for good super slow shutter pics, so try to get them down to 1/5 or 1/6 th of a second to capture the water blur, but not everything else with camera shake.

Attachments

• DSC_2937.JPG
    DSC_2937.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
Flew from several locations while there - one place below the "veil," but due to way too many obstacles, the video was not worthy of posting.

This video, I was actually upstream from the start right past the "veil" and then moved upstream - me and my buddy are seen on the creek bank. Several places to take off from on rocks / boulders, but we usually hand catch on return as time is limited and harder to land on a rock than take off from.

Shooting the "veil" is very doable in a stationary manner, once you clear the trees there.

Thanks for the suggestion - did not think of that while there. I do shoot with my DSLR in slow shutter for that blur. I don't typically carry a tripod for good super slow shutter pics, so try to get them down to 1/5 or 1/6 th of a second to capture the water blur, but not everything else with camera shake.
Yes, I love the still! It didn't look windy there so I thought the slow shutter might work with the drone. Thanks.

Yes, I love the still! It didn't look windy there so I thought the slow shutter might work with the drone. Thanks.

Oh, definitely and again - thanks for reminding me. Was not in that thought mode. but will have to register it for future falls, since we do 2-3 every week when possible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa