DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Here's how I charge my batteries if I'm leaving home.

Marko9219

Reactions
It's rare, but Lithium batteries can get real dangerous while charging. Here's what I do if they need charging but I have to leave. A crockpot liner is perfect

Attachments

• 20200724_115111.jpg
    20200724_115111.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 141
Reactions: cochitiman
i can see what you are trying to do there ,but really leaving batteries on charge when you go out, is not a good idea inside your home ,if one of those batteries were to catch fire it would not take long for all of them to be alight ,please stop doing it my fellow flyer ,dont be the one person who's house burns down because of a battery fire

i can see what you are trying to do there ,but really leaving batteries on charge when you go out, is not a good idea inside your home ,if one of those batteries were to catch fire it would not take long for all of them to be alight ,please stop doing it my fellow flyer ,dont be the one person who's house burns down because of a battery fire
Thanks for your concern, but seriously, contained to the ceramic crock any heat or flame is only going straight up towards a 12 ft sheet-rock ceiling. I charge MUCH bigger Lithium batteries in my garage almost daily. I own several Lithium powered tools including a really big EGO brand battery mower that routinely gets charged without any such containment. Even my cell phone on my nightstand or one of 3 laptops charging at night poses a statistical bigger threat. Our lives and homes are full of lithium batteries now days and how many home fires are you hearing about from charging them? Laptops, cell phones, rechargeable robotic floor vacuums, drills, saws, edgers, mowers, wireless security cameras, portable boom boxes, portable work lights and camping lights, lots of kids toys, those are just some I could think of quickly in my own home that all use the same battery chemistry. I just threw this out there for those that might be concerned.

Reactions: mereflyer
Thanks for your concern, but seriously, contained to the ceramic crock any heat or flame is only going straight up towards a 12 ft sheet-rock ceiling. I charge MUCH bigger Lithium batteries in my garage almost daily. I own several Lithium powered tools including a really big EGO brand battery mower that routinely gets charged without any such containment. Even my cell phone on my nightstand or one of 3 laptops charging at night poses a statistical bigger threat. Our lives and homes are full of lithium batteries now days and how many home fires are you hearing about from charging them? Laptops, cell phones, rechargeable robotic floor vacuums, drills, saws, edgers, mowers, wireless security cameras, portable boom boxes, portable work lights and camping lights, lots of kids toys, those are just some I could think of quickly in my own home that all use the same battery chemistry. I just threw this out there for those that might be concerned.
not everyone lives in a dwelling with a 12ft high sheet- rock ceiling and regardless of all the things you mention ,it is still not a good idea to leave batteries charging unattended, of course if you are happy to do it that is your choice

A good friend of mine lost the entire contents of his workshop when a Milwaukee M18 battery failed in its charger.

It does happen.

Absolutely it can. That's why my first sentence was "It's rare, but Lithium batteries can get real dangerous while charging."
But still, given the absolute millions of Lithium batteries that are on chargers at any given moment of any given day, 99.999% of the world and 99.999% of the world's firefighters don't worry about it. I'll continue to drop them in the crockpot liner, plug them in and not give it a thought. By the way, it is worth driving home the importance again of NEVER, NEVER, NEVER charge a swollen or damaged battery.

It's rare, but Lithium batteries can get real dangerous while charging. Here's what I do if they need charging but I have to leave. A crockpot liner is perfect
“ Here's what I do if they need charging but I have to leave. A crockpot liner is perfect”
I think this is what we are in danger zone. Leaving while charging. Thanks

During a thermal failure, it is not uncommon for the off gassing from the battery to propel it across a room (spreading fire as it travels). Most bags or containers purpose built for LI chemistry recharging are built to contain the device from all directions, yours is a great start but does not account for the device leaving the liner. I am a fire investigator and unplug EVERYTHING when I leave the house, not worth the risk. Unattended charging is a bad habit and will come back to bite you.

My choice is to repurpose an old/new 50 caliber ammo box. I placed about .5 to 1 inch of sand on the bottom. The lid has about 8 one-quarter inch holes drilled around the top. The holes serve as pressure relief. There is also a larger hole to accommodate the external power cord during charging time. The entire box fits on to the grate in our gas fireplace (not used in years) at the opposite end of the controls. That way fumes are exhausted up the chimney in case of fire. The charging units are removed to permit storage. I have several other similar boxes ( used for storage) in an old, no longer used, metal ice chest (lined with sand and cement board) in the basement storage area.

During a thermal failure, it is not uncommon for the off gassing from the battery to propel it across a room (spreading fire as it travels). Most bags or containers purpose built for LI chemistry recharging are built to contain the device from all directions, yours is a great start but does not account for the device leaving the liner. I am a fire investigator and unplug EVERYTHING when I leave the house, not worth the risk. Unattended charging is a bad habit and will come back to bite you.

Words of Wisdom from someone that I would bet knows what he is talking about.

Reactions: lowellton
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito