DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Here's how I made my "Zoom" decision ...

Rusty in Bend

Reactions
Pro, Zoom, or None ... that was my question.

It helped that I already have a Phantom 4 Pro Plus that I love and am still learning about and getting better as a pilot and a photographer.

After looking at all the advantages in the Pro camera, I had to admit that the whiz-bang features were either (a) something I'd rarely use, or (b) something I already had on my P4P+.

I'm a very careful (probably too careful) pilot, and since I tend to keep my distance, I've wanted a zoom feature ever since I got my P4P+.

I've also wanted more portability, as my daughter's boyfriend flies a Mavic Pro and I'm always envious of his little carry bag as I'm hauling around my enormous Pelican Case that protects my P4P+ and all the extras I carry with it (landing gear, 5 batteries, charging station, controller, etc.).

Bottom line:
  1. I wanted better portability to bring my drone to more family events and cool Oregon locations.
  2. I didn't think the Pro camera features were something I'd be good enough to leverage any time soon.
  3. I've always wanted a zoom feature.
  4. I'm very comfortable with the high-end features (and camera) in my P4P+.
  5. I'm financially blessed to be able to keep my P4P+ ... buy the M2Z ... and still afford groceries.
Does anybody disagree with my logic?

My Mavic 2 Zoom gets here on Thursday. I'm VERY excited.

Rusty

Solid logic. If you'd have only 1 drone, then Pro would probably be the best choice. But since you have a Phantom already, Zoom makes more sense.

You can always buy a pro camera to mount if you decide you need it also. Win/win.

Pro, Zoom, or None ... that was my question.

It helped that I already have a Phantom 4 Pro Plus that I love and am still learning about and getting better as a pilot and a photographer.

After looking at all the advantages in the Pro camera, I had to admit that the whiz-bang features were either (a) something I'd rarely use, or (b) something I already had on my P4P+.

I'm a very careful (probably too careful) pilot, and since I tend to keep my distance, I've wanted a zoom feature ever since I got my P4P+.

I've also wanted more portability, as my daughter's boyfriend flies a Mavic Pro and I'm always envious of his little carry bag as I'm hauling around my enormous Pelican Case that protects my P4P+ and all the extras I carry with it (landing gear, 5 batteries, charging station, controller, etc.).

Bottom line:
  1. I wanted better portability to bring my drone to more family events and cool Oregon locations.
  2. I didn't think the Pro camera features were something I'd be good enough to leverage any time soon.
  3. I've always wanted a zoom feature.
  4. I'm very comfortable with the high-end features (and camera) in my P4P+.
  5. I'm financially blessed to be able to keep my P4P+ ... buy the M2Z ... and still afford groceries.
Does anybody disagree with my logic?

My Mavic 2 Zoom gets here on Thursday. I'm VERY excited.

Rusty
Exactly why I decided to go with the zoom.

Your logic is fine. If you already have a P4P and you dont really need portability (ie shove in a backpack and go hiking etc) its a lot harder to justify a M2P upgrade.

For me i dont own a P4P (impractical to move around) and the mavic 1 camera is awful. The M2 Zoom camera is much the same as the M1 so i upgraded to the pro purely for a camera reason (i own a M1 so a M2 zoom would get me a zoom and nothing else improved for my use).

Its a tougher choice to go with the pro if you have a P4P which can produce the same quality images in which case the zoom makes a little bit of sense. You sacrifice quality but gain a zoom.

In the UK anyway I can maintain the 50m separation from a subject. And at the same time Zoom in close plus more importantly see the the subject at the same time on my Ipad screen in full definition. Digital cropping afterwards which has always been available is not quite the same. There was a Zoom on the Mavic 1 which worked well if a little bit clunky i.e. it zoomed in steps. Now with the 2 the Zoom goes smoothly and seamlessly which for my particular purposes is exactly what I need.

I'd say the opposite. If you have only one drone, the Zoom is the one to go. If you were a professional, you would have a Phantom or an Inspire anyway. The M2P sits just in the middle.

Im not going to carry an inspire or a phantom in a backpack for 3 days in the jungle or up a volcano though. A mavic yes.
The zoom for me will have the same unacceptable image quality of the mavic 1 so not an option.

The zoom for me will have the same unacceptable image quality of the mavic 1 so not an option.

I've seen great footage by professionals on the mavic 1, it's only a matter of knowing how to set it properly. Certainly doesn't shine out of the box.
Btw the M2Z has a far better quality than the MP and MPP already, as visible in many comparison videos. Might be just down to better settings out of the box.

I've seen great footage by professionals on the mavic 1, it's only a matter of knowing how to set it properly..

You can set it up however you want but you still can't overcome the hideous compression artefacts in video, the awful dynamic range, the uneven sharpness across the frame and the noise even at low isos.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31