DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hesitancy to Return To Home over my home's aluminum fencing?

with my MPP i have not seen any messages to confirm that precision RTH has been set ,but unlike later mavics there is a tick box in the take off screen ,where you can choose whether or not to use precision landing ,if you dont tick the box before you slide the take off icon on the screen then the drone just goes up about 4 ft and hovers till it gets a stick input from the RC
on the other hand if the box is ticked then it goes up to around 20ft above the ground and records its position ,and i can confirm that using this method the drone will land within inches of its take off position on the landing pad

Every time I do a Return To Home, (set to 25m), the Mavic 2 Pro gets to my 5 ft fence, then doesn't want to go over it to land on pad about 15 ft away, which makes me have to take over the controls and land manually. 1/2 the time I miss hitting the pad in the center. I tried Sport mode, which went over the fence, but then it landed in the grass. What am I doing wrong here?
From the Manual page 18:
If the aircraft is between 5m/16ft and 20m/66ft from the Home Point when the RTH procedure begins:
i. If the RTH at Current Altitude option is enabled the aircraft flies to the Home Point at the current altitude, unless the current altitude is less than 2m/6.5ft, in which case the aircraft ascends to 2m and then flies to the Home Point at a speed of 3 m/s.

Last edited:
Hi, I can understand the frustration of not landing where I took off. I did both calibrations and it now lands within 6 inches of the takeoff when I have at least 16 satellites showing. Best of luck :)
Recalibrating your IMU or compass won't do a thing to make your drone land closer to where it was launched from.
Using the Precision Landing feature is the only thing that will.

• Sad
Reactions: Dawnvt
ninja'd yep was just thinking the same.

It is worth the OP noting that if the precision landing feature is used, the M2s, if RTH'd, will, on arriving over the homepoint, turn to face in the direction they had at take off. I sometime use that as a test to see whether or not it did establish a precision landing point at take off.
I do not normally watch the screen to see messages and, being deaf, will not hear any 'spoken' messages concerning it establishing a precision landing point, (are there any?).
I haven't heard any such precision landing noise yet. Though a RTH typically does do the pirouette just before touch down. And, when doing this, the drone is just as likely to land outside the precision zone by half a meter as inside it. And that's with 18 satellites. I think you must hover over the pad at 5 to 7 meters after take-off for a period of time, and hope wind gusts don't push you off target during the process.

My normal "I want to use precision landing" has only a momentary hover at height, just to check I am over the 7m threshold. My M2 performs the pirouette at height, possibly RTH height or not far below it, ( my RTH heights are normally not high, I aim to clear obstacles by 5m to 10m) and when I do allow it to land it is within cm of the takeoff point. I would go so far as to say if it had, at take off, left a silhouette on the ground then, on landing, some part of the drone, if not a lot of it, would be within that silhouette.

Yeah - my "just before touchdown" is relative. It spins at altitude, then drops to land.

I have a high contrast launch pad, reflective for night launches, 30" by 30" - and quite often the drone wants to land outside the pad. Even with a "precision" launch - then again - I probably misjudge what 7 meters is when pausing flight. Many flights are from my back yard and I don't spend a lot of time hovering close to the house due to a desire to not offend neighbors. So I am usually up and out over the pastures pretty quickly. I'll play more.

Are you taking off before it has sufficient GPS satellites to establish its position?
If so and assuming it subsequently gets sufficient satellites that would mean that a home point will be set whilst it is in flight and possibly some distance from the home point.
Where I take off at home I often need to get it into the air to give it a clear view of the sky (trees around my take off point). If I have moved it horizontally before it gets a lock I then bring it back overhead and reset the homepoint. Then I fly it out a short distance and RTH it just to see where it goes.
yes I watched a video from 51 drones and he said to go 34 feet and hang out for a minute and I did lots of testing and it worked very well most of the tie.

Good advice there from several contibutors about not relying on RTH as a landing routine, a hover check after TO and in orienting the drone 'forwards' to keep control responses instinctive in the most risky phase of flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura