DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi from Winnipeg, Canada

Welcome to the forum! :)

Reactions: Steel63
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Hi,

My name is Fred and I'm a brazilian living in Winnipeg, Canada.

I'm planning to buy a Mavic Air very soon and would like to learn more about this awesome drone.
welcome!

just wondering how many north of the border comply w/ this

is it standard procedure or not known about too much.

we have seen sales of drones decline in Canada and was wondering if this has something to do w/ it

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/get-drone-pilot-certificate/exam.html

so $5 for registration and $10 for the online test which you need not too much considering the amount we spend on a drone but is this a deterance for a first time flyer?

just wondering how many north of the border comply w/ this

is it standard procedure or not known about too much.

we have seen sales of drones decline in Canada and was wondering if this has something to do w/ it

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/get-drone-pilot-certificate/exam.html

so $5 for registration and $10 for the online test which you need not too much considering the amount we spend on a drone but is this a deterance for a first time flyer?

It's only been in effect for just over two months, I took mine last week (a day after getting the drone) and I saw a couple other posts / comments from fellow Canadians who have taken it, or are about to.

That said, our dollar is horrible right now so just straight up exchange, plus shipping, and duty fees may also be having a large impact on international sales.

Reactions: Steel63 and DDS
Hi guys, thanks for the welcoming messages.

I have an initial question but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask that here.

I'm planning to buy a Mavic Air Fly More Combo, but all DJI Authorized Stores in Canada seem to practice the exact same price: $1,349.

Is it really that?

My intriguing question is, "can I ask if anybody knows a DJI Authorized Store that could be possibly selling that at a discount at the moment?".

If this is not allowed or has it's proper forum to be placed, please let me know.

Another possibility would be buying that in the US (where there are different prices among stores) and bring that back to Canada.

Then, that brings another question: "Would DJI honor the drone warranty if I bought the drone in the US, but claimed the warranty in Canada?"

Regarding to the Flight Certifications in Canada, I took mine in the first weeks, but just the Basic one because there is no study guide for that available.

I think it's a good thing for those that respect the rules and want to take drones seriously.

I'm planning to take the Advanced one in the future, but have to study hard first.

Thanks,

Fred

I'm planning to buy a Mavic Air Fly More Combo, but all DJI Authorized Stores in Canada seem to practice the exact same price: $1,349.

Is it really that?
Maybe check out sites where dealers sell drones (like Amazon or eBay)?

"Would DJI honor the drone warranty if I bought the drone in the US, but claimed the warranty in Canada?"
You'd have to ship it back to the US for warranty service.

Another possibility would be buying that in the US (where there are different prices among stores) and bring that back to Canada.

Given the exchange rate unless you already have US currency, you wouldn't really be saving much. The Mavic Air Fly More Combo for $999 US is still $1,327.24 CAD and that's not including shipping and duty (unless you are picking it up in the US).

When pricing out my Mavic 2 Pro everywhere (in Canada) that I looked had the same price point which leads me to believe that either DJI sets the price, or there isn't much room in the markup.

Welcome to the forum :)

Given the exchange rate unless you already have US currency, you wouldn't really be saving much. The Mavic Air Fly More Combo for $999 US is still $1,327.24 CAD and that's not including shipping and duty (unless you are picking it up in the US).

When pricing out my Mavic 2 Pro everywhere (in Canada) that I looked had the same price point which leads me to believe that either DJI sets the price, or there isn't much room in the markup.

I found that for US$915 (CAD$1216 as of today) at BH Photo Video including TAX and with free shipping.

My plan was shipping that to a POBOX in a US city close to the border (they charge US$ 5 to receive that) and pick that up by car.

The problem is that I don't want to have to bring that to the US if I need to use the warranty.

I found that for US$915 (CAD$1216 as of today) at BH Photo Video including TAX and with free shipping.

My plan was shipping that to a POBOX in a US city close to the border (they charge US$ 5 to receive that) and pick that up by car.

The problem is that I don't want to have to bring that to the US if I need to use the warranty.

That's another great option and it's really hit or miss coming across if they even make you pay duty, which would be about $200 if they hit you for full amount. As for the warranty, I found this old DJI thread, not sure if things have changed since then.

This has been asked before, and the answer was the warranty is specific to the country it was purchased from.
If you buy from the US you will have to ship it back to the US, also they will only ship the repaired unit to a US address.
You are much better off buying from your own country DJI store, as otherwise you may have to pay tax and import duty on top of the price.

International warranty

Lastly, found this on DJI's website Within their "After Sales Service Policies" specifically "Part II - General Terms".

√ Customers can obtain warranty service only at a designated DJI repair center in the region where he/she purchased the product. However, depending on part availability, customers can obtain cross-regional repair service at an additional charge.

√ For customers in North America, please note: DJI products purchased after August 1st, 2016 are covered under warranty only if they are purchased from DJI authorized dealers.

√ If a customer in Region A wants to send in their products to a designated DJI repair center in the Region B without informing DJI, the customs duty, customs clearance, and other costs incurred will be covered by the customer.

Doesn't look like you cant do it, but you need DJI's approval first or you have to cover all costs associated with shipping / importing / exporting.

Last edited:
That's another great option and it's really hit or miss coming across if they even make you pay duty, which would be about $200 if they hit you for full amount. As for the warranty, I found this old DJI thread, not sure if things have changed since then.

International warranty

Lastly, found this on DJI's website Within their "After Sales Service Policies" specifically "Part II - General Terms".

Doesn't look like you cant do it, but you need DJI's approval first or you have to cover all costs associated with shipping / importing / exporting.

Obviously, pricing counts, but it seems too much of a headache if I need to claim the warranty in Canada for saving just around $130.

I'll look for better pricing for a couple of more weeks then probably buy that.

RTFM, Watch plenty of YT Videos, little steps.

Onward and Upward.

If you can wait till Black Friday or X'mas you may get a discount, I bought my fly more combo for CAD1,226.99 last Nov.

Bem-vindo ao fórum do estado de sol da Flórida!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying