DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High Pitched Gimbal Noise

The noise that was discussed and observed back in late 2019 got resolved with a firmware update shortly after. I still fly my mini1 and have never had this issue come back since updating the FW.

I suspect you have a slightly different problem going on here with the gimbal control hardware/software. Maybe a slightly loose electrical connection or poorly aligned position sensor (I don't actually know what type is used, optical? magnetic? resistive? Maybe there's none and it just uses just stepper motor step angle?)

The noise that was discussed and observed back in late 2019 got resolved with a firmware update shortly after. I still fly my mini1 and have never had this issue come back since updating the FW.

I suspect you have a slightly different problem going on here with the gimbal control hardware/software. Maybe a slightly loose electrical connection or poorly aligned position sensor (I don't actually know what type is used, optical? magnetic? resistive? Maybe there's none and it just uses just stepper motor step angle?)
I'm unsure. I've tried multiple firmwares and recalibrations. The funny thing was it didn't start out with the issue, but formed later last year with no apparent cause. It's almost like the pid tuning is too sensitive in some cases or a slightly loose gimbal housing is causing a feedback loop when angled a certain way. I do hear the same whine as the videos I've come across though which led me to threads like these.

Last edited:
Maybe the cable tie adds just enough mass to the gimbal section to take its natural oscillation frequency away from the critical point where it becomes unstable and the PID ends up hunting? I wonder if a strategically placed blob of blutac has the same effect?!

As the gimbal relies on the IMU for its input per there is a slim change there has been some small degradation over time on the angular rate sensors. It's most likley that a MEM style gyro is being used and not a FOG, so there is a possibility of mechanical damage/degradation to the solid state sensor. They are pretty robust, but not totally immune.

Last edited:
Maybe the cable tie adds just enough mass to the gimbal section to take its natural oscillation frequency away from the critical point where it becomes unstable and the PID ends up hunting? I wonder if a strategically placed blob of blutac has the same effect?!

As the gimbal relies on the IMU for its input per there is a slim change there has been some small degradation over time on the angular rate sensors. It's most likley that a MEM style gyro is being used and not a FOG, so there is a possibility of mechanical damage/degradation to the solid state sensor. They are pretty robust, but not totally immune.
I'll give it a try next time next time I change it out. I feel like it might not be enough as I had to put a decent amount of pressure with my fingers to get it to stop. I'd like a better looking solution going forward, though, as it adds just enough height to the gimbal to cause it to snag on power up. Might finally make me pull the trigger on getting a 3d printer and building some slim adapter to slip over it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada