DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High Wind Velocity and Altitude is too Large Errors?

Rastus

Reactions
I'm getting these errors on very calm days. Anyone else having this problem?
How do I adjust for it?
Thanks
IMG_0160.PNG

Attitude is to large, not altitude.

Meaning, the Mavic is leaning too far in the strong winds. The lean is so great that the sensors no longer point in front or back of the drone so they are turned off.

The wind high up can be _much_ stronger then the wind on the ground.

Wind can be drastically different even 50-100ft up compared to what you experience on the ground. That would be my guess for that.

The attitude notification telling you about obstacle sensing is often seen in tandem with high winds due to the aircraft being at a significant angle relative to the horizon. The reason for this is because when the aircraft has to pitch/roll itself to a certain point to fight the wind or comply with your inputs, the obstacle sensors sometimes can't do their job because they aren't pointing where they are supposed to be at such steep aircraft angles.

A quick glance at the message might having you thinking it says altitude but attitude refers to the aircraft's position relative to the horizon.

Nothing is wrong, it isn't an error, just a 'FYI' type message.

Now if each obstacle sensor had it's own little gimbal, theoretically this wouldn't be a problem - how cool would that be :cool:

What you do need to adjust is your camera settings.
You're not going to get any good results with those settings.

Agreed. I've been using a Phantom 3 Pro and Litchi for the last two years. Trying to adjust to DJI GO 4...

I'm getting these errors on very calm days. Anyone else having this problem?
How do I adjust for it?
Thanks
View attachment 48879
Even though I made this video about the Mavic Air, it is completely the same issue for the Mavic 2 and should explain things perfectly!

Cheers
Ian
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The wind warnings do kick in far too soon, with Mavic 1 you could adjust the thresholds in the Assistant software.
The problem is you soon realise you can safely ignore both the red box and yellow scrolling message.
I have seen the yellow warning on days when there was indisputably almost no wind and it was only 100 feet up.

The wind warnings do kick in far too soon, with Mavic 1 you could adjust the thresholds in the Assistant software.
The problem is you soon realise you can safely ignore both the red box and yellow scrolling message.
I have seen the yellow warning on days when there was indisputably almost no wind and it was only 100 feet up.

The wind warning threshold may be set rather conservatively, but the sensors not being used because the attitude is too large is simply factual. And if the attitude is too large then that strongly suggests significant wind speed. The answer will be in the flights logs if you want to look, since pitch and roll are recorded.

Reactions: Ian in London
The wind warning threshold may be set rather conservatively, but the sensors not being used because the attitude is too large is simply factual. And if the attitude is too large then that strongly suggests significant wind speed. The answer will be in the flights logs if you want to look, since pitch and roll are recorded.
That's exactly the point. Even a slight breeze of 10 mph can push the attitude of the aircraft beyond sensor use, hence the warnings. DJI could have made them clearer, but there we are....
Ian

That's exactly the point. Even a slight breeze of 10 mph can push the attitude of the aircraft beyond sensor use, hence the warnings. DJI could have made them clearer, but there we are....
Ian

I would not have expected a 10 mph wind to do that, but maybe it does. The log file would answer the question since it records attitude as well as sensor state and messages.

Even though I made this video about the Mavic Air, it is completely the same issue for the Mavic 2 and should explain things perfectly!

Cheers
Ian
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thanks,
I'll check it out.

I've gotten red 'winds high and the yellow warning. Never the attitude warning. Last week my bird did seem to drift quite a bit. Flight playback did show significant slipping. Made me nervous so I pressed RTH. Flew straight home. No warnings that time but it was like it was in a vortex. I still need to upload the DAT file but I did upload the txt file.

I've decided if I get the attitude warning and obstacle sensors, my M2Z is having an attitude about the wind and I'm flying it home and packing up.

I've decided if I get the attitude warning and obstacle sensors, my M2Z is having an attitude about the wind and I'm flying it home and packing up.

As long as you haven't got a dud your drone is more than capable of flying in these conditions, personally I wouldn't worry about it and enjoy your flights. Everytime I've flown mine I've gotten those attitude warnings.

My drone be like, "Why you flying me into the wind and everything? Just for that, I ain't looking where you going anymore!" And I'm like, "Yo, you best adjust your attitude!". Hahaha!

Reactions: Ian in London
I would not have expected a 10 mph wind to do that, but maybe it does. The log file would answer the question since it records attitude as well as sensor state and messages.
If you're moving forward at speed, then a 10mph head wind could easily push the attitude beyond the sensor limit....
Cheers,
Ian

My drone be like, "Why you flying me into the wind and everything? Just for that, I ain't looking where you going anymore!" And I'm like, "Yo, you best adjust your attitude!". Hahaha!
lol....you're not wrong..... they could have chosen better wording! :)

It's definitely got an attitude problem with the way it keeps bitching all the time with those little red boxes, wish they would appear on the controller instead of the camera view, so distracting to have to take your fingers off the controllers to clear.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ