DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High wind velocity warning

winochef

Reactions
What are the parameters that cause the high wind velocity warning to appear? Is it based on the AC inability to track straight or slowing down because of a headwind? Is there really a reason for a high level of concern?

The aircraft knows how strong the wind is based on how much pitch and roll it has to apply to hold position or achieve any particular ground speed. The reason for concern is surely obvious - the aircraft has a maximum pitch and roll that it can apply and so if the wind gets too strong then it is unable to travel against the wind and may not even be able to hold position.

Reactions: kakao and S Hale
The aircraft knows how strong the wind is based on how much pitch and roll it has to apply to hold position or achieve any particular ground speed. The reason for concern is surely obvious - the aircraft has a maximum pitch and roll that it can apply and so if the wind gets too strong then it is unable to travel against the wind and may not even be able to hold position.

Whoa! Fabulous explanation. Thank you.

My experience is to tack. Just like sailing a boat. You can’t sail directly into the wind because the sail ‘luffs’. No power on the sail. I’ve found bearing off 20 to 40 degrees and then turning 90 degrees will let you to make progress into a strong wind. Also lowering altitude can sometimes help a lot.

There is no worse feeling than being in Sport mode and making no forward progress; or even worse getting pushed backwards and watching that on the map display.

The high wind warnings on the Mavic are very sensitive and with experience you can better judge when it’s simply too windy. Also, when it’s a high wind condition, first fly into the wind (upwind) then fly across and down wind as battery power drops.

My experience is to tack. Just like sailing a boat. You can’t sail directly into the wind because the sail ‘luffs’. No power on the sail. I’ve found bearing off 20 to 40 degrees and then turning 90 degrees will let you to make progress into a strong wind. Also lowering altitude can sometimes help a lot.

There is no worse feeling than being in Sport mode and making no forward progress; or even worse getting pushed backwards and watching that on the map display.

The high wind warnings on the Mavic are very sensitive and with experience you can better judge when it’s simply too windy. Also, when it’s a high wind condition, first fly into the wind (upwind) then fly across and down wind as battery power drops.

I'm surprised that tacking works for you because, theoretically, it should not. Unlike in sailing, all that the aircraft knows about, aerodynamically, is airspeed. If the wind velocity exceeds its maximum airspeed then it simply cannot make progress upwind by any combination of pathways. Movement orthogonal to the wind vector should not make any difference at all.

Lowering altitude, on the other hand, is absolutely the best way to find slower air.

????.... that's just plain silly, Using nonsense physics in comparing the flight of a quad to sailing a boat which has a Keel in the water. Complete nonsense. Where do people come up with this stuff?

Somehow, props, thrust ,airspeed and wind resistance turned maritime

And IMHO, another mistake made by operators in this situation of fighting wind, is neglecting to have a plan B, and whilst there is sufficient battery, reduce altitude and look for a safe place to land. Then walk/drive over and pick it up, intact..

Where do people come up with this stuff?
Lot of false wisdom on the social media these days in general, worst thing is that people start quoting it as if it were the truth.

Reactions: William Ball
And IMHO, another mistake made by operators in this situation of fighting wind, is neglecting to have a plan B, and whilst there is sufficient battery, reduce altitude and look for a safe place to land. Then walk/drive over and pick it up, intact..
They probably don't even have a plan A if they have to fight such a wind in the first place.

If I get the high wind velocity warning plus advice to be sure to keep the aircraft within LOS, which I am already, do you still recommend ceasing whatever I am doing with the camera and either lower my altitude or even land the aircraft?

Note: I almost always fly my AC well within a 5m radius of my launch point.

If I get the high wind velocity warning plus advice to be sure to keep the aircraft within LOS, which I am already, do you still recommend ceasing whatever I am doing with the camera and either lower my altitude or even land the aircraft?

If you have a clear view on your hovering mavic I think you can wait until you see the craft starting to drift while fighting the GPS position hold. But as soon as you notice that I would bring it down.

Reactions: sar104

I have continued flights with high wind warnings when I can see, directly, that the aircraft is able to move upwind and when I can easily lower its altitude if necessary. High wind warnings occur at wind speeds significantly below the maximum airspeed of the aircraft. I would not let it out of VLOS in that situation though.

If you have a clear view on your hovering mavic I think you can wait until you see the craft starting to drift while fighting the GPS position hold. But as soon as you notice that I would bring it down.
It's the sudden gusts on top of that that are the culprit.

I think you can wait until you see the craft starting to drift while fighting the GPS position hold. But as soon as you notice that I would bring it down.

Yes, I carefully watch the distance of the AC from my launch point. It's never happened, but if ever I would see it move more than a meter, I would switch the camera to -90 and bring it down manually to the helipad from which I'd launched it.

For me it depends on the situation and where I am. If it is a steady 12-14 mph winds, with gusts at maybe 17, and it has been like that for some time, I will fly and pretty much expect wind warnings--but not inundated with them. As long as I feel the wind is still pretty much the same as when I took off I carry on. In these cases I have never even needed to switch to Sport mode, although I am ready to at any time. I also check UAV Forecast in case there is a larger than expected wind increase at MP's flying altitude.

Now if it is a day with little wind, which then picks up just as I am getting ready to fly (welcome to my world), I am much more wary since wind can pick up fast here in AZ, especially in monsoon season. It can go from 10 mph gusts to 30+ mph in just a couple of minutes (occasionally less than a minute). So in a situation where I feel wind is picking up, and picking up fast, I land ASAP.

As far as LOS, I am usually within VLOS. But against a clear blue AZ sky it is hard to tell if my Mavic, two-hundred-fifty feet up and out, is drifting away from me. So I use my controller and Go 4 displays to check if it is coming closer to me, or drifting away. I monitor speed often too, which helps me know the wind speed the Mavic is encountering where it is flying.

Finally, while I do try to fly out against the wind, there are times it is not practical. So like Simmo said, I always have a plan B should I need to land ASAP.

Mike

5m radius of launch point? Wow! Forgive me for asking, but for what purpose do you use the Mavic? I ASSume you fly at different locations, and each time sticking to within 5m of launch. Is it for some kind of inspection operation? I'm thinking if I was using a Mavic for that kind of thing I would tie a lightweight line on it and never worry about wind. If wind goes crazy, I reel the MP back in like a kite! :)

Mike

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drico