DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High wind velocity warning

and it has been like that for some time, I will fly and pretty much expect wind warnings--but not inundated with them. As long as I feel the wind is still pretty much the same as when I took off I carry on. In these cases I have never even needed to switch to Sport mode, although I am ready to at any time. I also check UAV Forecast in case there is a larger than expected wind increase at MP's flying altitude.
in a situation where I feel wind is picking up, and picking up fast, I land ASAP.

As far as LOS, I am usually within VLOS. But against a clear blue AZ sky it is hard to tell if my Mavic, two-hundred-fifty feet up and out, is drifting away from me. So I use my controller and Go 4 displays to check if it is coming closer to me, or drifting away.

I monitor speed often too, which helps me know the wind speed the Mavic is encountering where it is flying.

Finally, while I do try to fly out against the wind, there are times it is not practical. So like Simmo said, I always have a plan B should I need to land ASAP.

Well resumed, almost all I did lately honestly when flying under bad wind conditions

at least for my girlfriend who asked "are you really going to fly now, from here??"

We were on a small track circling an ancient fortress, below walls on a cliff or some kind, surrounding water and close-by city port
I had to take off (and land) from the 60 cm wide track bordered by small vegetation.

At the time I went above the fortress walls, warnings popped up and bird drifted a bit before to stabilize, I saw that RPM average speed was higher than before to lift up

To keep VLOS i had to fly under wind a bit, so I quickly tried to come back without lowering and it was clearly fighting against wind,
I lowered it, came back gently and even scared myself when it accelerated as getting close to the wall I was standing by.

I did some shots and video, and went back after ~10min - 63% battery later

It's hard to keep flying when having a romantic weekend over Italian coast [emoji6]

I always ignore the high wind velocity warning. In sports mode my Mavic will fly at 56 km/h, so as long as the wind is less than say 40 km/h then I fly it. I often do this while videoing catamarans sailing in 20 knot winds. It is a nuisance that the warning keeps popping up. I wish it had the option of 'don't show again'.

I'm surprised that tacking works for you because, theoretically, it should not. Unlike in sailing, all that the aircraft knows about, aerodynamically, is airspeed. If the wind velocity exceeds its maximum airspeed then it simply cannot make progress upwind by any combination of pathways. Movement orthogonal to the wind vector should not make any difference at all.

Lowering altitude, on the other hand, is absolutely the best way to find slower air.

Yeah, I saw the word "tack" and I thought "that works great for sails but with a rotor wing the physics seem off."

Having said that, is lower altitude wind generally slower air?

(Crap, I necro'd a year+ old post, sorry!)

5m radius of launch point? Wow! Forgive me for asking, but for what purpose do you use the Mavic? I ASSume you fly at different locations, and each time sticking to within 5m of launch. Is it for some kind of inspection operation? I'm thinking if I was using a Mavic for that kind of thing I would tie a lightweight line on it and never worry about wind. If wind goes crazy, I reel the MP back in like a kite! :)

Mike
Maybe she is talking about 5 miles?

Tacking should work because you're combating less headwind. With that you gain momentum. I've done it with the Tello.

Tacking should work because you're combating less headwind. With that you gain momentum. I've done it with the Tello.

Less headwind doesn't help - it just becomes a sidewind that you are not combating, so you get blown sideways away from the intended direction of travel. This is a complete myth that defies simple physics. Think of it in a different frame of reference - an aircraft in still air trying to catch an object on the ground moving faster than the maximum speed of the aircraft. Adding movement away from the target just makes it recede faster.
Exactly.

Reactions: Simmo
I get what you're thinking. I think the reason it works is to gain forward (not headwind) momentum. Straight against the wind, it just can't get the forward momentum. But shift the forward track off the headwind, it can get momentum going forward. Once it has the momentum, then I can attack the headwind more. Sidewind doesn't bother it as much it seems.

One has to wonder why they give us "RED" caption warnings about high wind, but nothing if there has been a failure of part or all of the flight control system such as gyros, accelerometers, etc

I get what you're thinking. I think the reason it works is to gain forward (not headwind) momentum. Straight against the wind, it just can't get the forward momentum. But shift the forward track off the headwind, it can get momentum going forward. Once it has the momentum, then I can attack the headwind more. Sidewind doesn't bother it as much it seems.

No - sorry - this is completely wrong. Momentum is a vector quantity, which means that momentum in one direction cannot be converted to momentum in a different direction without something external to push against. There should not be any debate at all about this tacking hypothesis. It's wrong. It will not work.

Reactions: Simmo
One has to wonder why they give us "RED" caption warnings about high wind, but nothing if there has been a failure of part or all of the flight control system such as gyros, accelerometers, etc

The FC will give warnings if it detects IMU failures, but often it cannot tell that the data are spurious.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drico