DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High Wind Velocity Warning!

I get the yellow high wind alert on almost every flight, even when the wind at ground level is calm. I realize wind speed can be different at altitude, but I wouldn't think it would be that much below 400 feet on a calm day. My point is I find myself getting into the "cry wolf" syndrome. On the other hand, I've flown with a 10 mph wind at the surface and have encountered noticeably higher winds at a few hundred feet. That I attribute to the friction of the ground, slowing the surface winds some.

Reactions: RonBower
I look at my radar while the drone is at a hover . If the bird has to lean into the wind you will clearly see it on the radar . A few updates back I got the warning every flight . Now with the current software it only warns me if there is a wind problem.

Has anyone's Mavic crashed ever due to high wind velocity

Take a look through this thread. Note in post #11 what the guestimated ground wind speed was. If you want to get a good education on what can go wrong and what was done wrong, read it in it's entirety, You don't really want to have to call @sar104 to see what went wrong and where is my AC.

Take a look through this thread. Note in post #11 what the guestimated ground wind speed was. If you want to get a good education on what can go wrong and what was done wrong, read it in it's entirety, You don't really want to have to call @sar104 to see what went wrong and where is my AC.

I think that guy went so high so much, way beyond FAA rules and that the sudden strong gust up was probably from a manned aircraft...

I think that guy went so high so much, way beyond FAA rules and that the sudden strong gust up was probably from a manned aircraft...

No one can say for certain but gust from a passing manned plane is highly unlikely IMHO. look at the difference at a thousand feet. Legal or not, the OP was in that neighborhood.

UAV -     .jpg UAV - 2 - profile - no fly 2     .png UAV - 3 - Ground - 24-45 NO     .jpg UAV - 7 - Profile - NO     .jpg

The data indicates a steady, strong wind at height, which is what you'd expect.
There's no need for a plane to explain the incident.

Reactions: izzca

It seem that what happend to the guys drone on that thread was kinda unusual and yeah I won't be calling @sar104 to help me. Playing with the DJI App, I found you can actually replay flight records up to 8X speed on a Map, satellite view or standard graphic map. No need to analyze numeric data that only sar104 can read. Anyway, I'll be strictly VLOS from now on.

It seem that what happend to the guys drone on that thread was kinda unusual
Flying too high and having the drone blow away is one of the common causes of lost drones. It's not that unusual.
Playing with the DJI App, I found you can actually replay flight records up to 8X speed on a Map, satellite view or standard graphic map. No need to analyze numeric data that only sar104 can read.
Replaying in the app, you only see a tiny fraction of teh data that the app records.
When things go wrong, the actual data is usually what's required to solve the puzzle.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000