DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High Wind Velocity

Amarand

Reactions
I've been seeing more frequent "High Wind Velocity" warnings popping up while flying my MA. Now, I'm taking the Part 107, so I know from the classes that wind changes at different heights, and while it's possible that my drone is getting buffeted around at 300' AGL directly above me, it sure doesn't look like it is.

1) Where is the "High Wind Velocity" data being drawn from? Is it a function of how much power is being used at hover? Movement/stability versus power used? Or is it drawing from a database somewhere?

2) It's possible my MA is just doing a fantastic job covering for wind at higher altitudes, and I realize that some of the motion might be "covered" by the gimbal, but high wind velocity should be moving the drone around a bit, right? (It's not. Not at all.)

3) Does the "High Wind Velocity" take into account height? How accurate is the location? Hyper-local, or something in the general area?

I've seen other threads where people are discussing how we should interpret the message: a warning to play it safer (be more aware), pull down into a lower altitude, or simply "land ASAP" as the warning suggests.

Most likely it is determined by the pitch of the Mavic vs.it's movement or lack of movement. Altitude should not factor into it at all. I almost always ignore the warning as it seems to be way to sensitive, to the point is like crying "wolf".

it is simply a warning you choose whether to react to it or not, but if it didnt give it you would not know ,

what would you prefer

Reactions: rene.fernandez01
Check out the free app UAV Forecast. It does a good job of giving you wind velocity at different altitudes. I find that it sometimes is forecasting wind a little higher than I believe it is. You can set your personal preferences for wind alerts. I set mine to 25 mph, because I want to leave a small buffer for safety. I don’t want to be saying, “Geee, I wish I hadn’t tested that!”, as my never used DJI Care Refresh ran out last month.

As a hot air balloon pilot I was always concerned about winds above ground level. Many times there are "jets" a low levels. the MA is warning you that it is hitting some higher winds which would imply a. the winds may be stronger than the MA can maintain location or get back to home b. it is using more battery to maintain its position. both are warnings that should be considered as you proceed with your mission.

Most likely it is determined by the pitch of the Mavic vs.it's movement or lack of movement. Altitude should not factor into it at all. I almost always ignore the warning as it seems to be way to sensitive, to the point is like crying "wolf".
Even the M2 seems to cry wolf.
Hard to know without some sort of gauge.

How come when I fly in 20 mph wind at a 10 foot altitude I dont get the warning but when I fly in 10 mph wind at 150 feet I get the warning. Altitude is not a factor??

Because I do, I know it at 5 feet up to the lower portion of the earth's atmosphere. Job related...

I assemble the instruments in businesses that require them. Most likely your local news weather department uses them. The Infamous (The Weather Channel) has purchased equipment from us. So there are many times when I leave work I check out my area of flight for that day of wind speeds. But then who to say by the time I get there and setup flight the speeds have changed drastically. Enough about my employment. Time to fly...

I've been seeing more frequent "High Wind Velocity" warnings popping up while flying my MA. Now, I'm taking the Part 107, so I know from the classes that wind changes at different heights, and while it's possible that my drone is getting buffeted around at 300' AGL directly above me, it sure doesn't look like it is.

1) Where is the "High Wind Velocity" data being drawn from? Is it a function of how much power is being used at hover? Movement/stability versus power used? Or is it drawing from a database somewhere?

2) It's possible my MA is just doing a fantastic job covering for wind at higher altitudes, and I realize that some of the motion might be "covered" by the gimbal, but high wind velocity should be moving the drone around a bit, right? (It's not. Not at all.)

3) Does the "High Wind Velocity" take into account height? How accurate is the location? Hyper-local, or something in the general area?

I've seen other threads where people are discussing how we should interpret the message: a warning to play it safer (be more aware), pull down into a lower altitude, or simply "land ASAP" as the warning suggests.
The attitude indicator can show how much it's fighting the wind. If you're pitched one way or the other (or the other or the other) it's "flying" that way to maintain a position above ground.

i find that my MPP will give me wind warnings in gusty conditions more so than in a steady wind, and these can happen at any height when a sudden gust hits it

I assemble the instruments in businesses that require them. Most likely your local news weather department uses them. The Infamous (The Weather Channel) has purchased equipment from us. So there are many times when I leave work I check out my area of flight for that day of wind speeds. But then who to say by the time I get there and setup flight the speeds have changed drastically. Enough about my employment. Time to fly...

We have our own SODAR installation, hence my question. If you are reluctant to say what kind of instrumentation then no problem, but most local news weather departments do not have winds aloft measurements, and really don't need them.

Altitude is not a factor??
Why would it be? Altitude is based on the take off point. I could take off, fly 20' up and then fly over a cliff and actually be 200' above the ground. The Mavic software thinks I'm still at 20'. There is just no point in ignoring the altitude difference between 20' and 150'.

Winds are far less consistent at higher altitudes. A steady wind is not going to affect the Mavic as much as a sudden gust.

How would anyone know 100% for sure what the wind speed is 150ft off the ground without looking at a live feed from an appropriate instrument measuring the exact area you were flying in? Genuine question, I don't know how easy that is to do. Wind is something I have never been able to find an accurate forecast for, literally everywhere I check it is very different from what I experience in person whether it be on the ground or in the air. Local forecasts have to provide a single number for a huge area, and apps like UAV forecast are so far off it's not even funny, so personally I find it to just be a crap shoot haha.

I just assume wind is always way worse 50-100+ ft off the ground and if I get a high wind warning I lower my altitude accordingly or I come home, just not worth the risk IMHO.

The attitude indicator can show how much it's fighting the wind. If you're pitched one way or the other (or the other or the other) it's "flying" that way to maintain a position above ground.

What is the “attitude indicator” in DJI Go? Is that something I need to enable?

Reactions: Mrmund
What is the “attitude indicator” in DJI Go? Is that something I need to enable?
Tap on the map (usually in the lower left corner) and it will switch over. It will show the aircraft pitch. Actually there may be an icon you need to click on. Without having it in front of me I can’t describe it exactly, but another commenter should be able to. But I think just tapping on the map might switch it over (It’s sort of muscle memory at this point).

Reactions: Amarand

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying