DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Highest rate of descent - Mavic Air 2

What’s the fastest way to bring down the Mavic Air 2? I would assume using Sport mode and hitting the “down” stick fully. But descent rate seems slower than it should be.
The Mavic Air 2 descends quicker flying forward than in a hover. Max descent rate doesn't occur until 20+ MPH forward speed.

Thanks for your reply airbus pilot! OK, but if I want to bring the drone straight down, the quickest way is to use sport mode with a fully depressed descend control?... or does using the RTH mode bring it down any quicker?

Thanks for your reply airbus pilot! OK, but if I want to bring the drone straight down, the quickest way is to use sport mode with a fully depressed descend control?... or does using the RTH mode bring it down any quicker?
The user manual states:

Max Descent Speed:
3 m/s (S Mode)
3 m/s (N Mode)

So in a straight down descent, you don't gain any increase in descent rate in Sport mode.

Reactions: Gipper
If you descend too fast with no forward (or backward or sideways) motion, you can descend into your own downwash. This will lead to a serious loss of lift and likely crash. For your protection, the software limits the speed at which you can go straight down. If you want to go down faster, go back and forth during descent.

If you descend too fast with no forward (or backward or sideways) motion, you can descend into your own downwash. This will lead to a serious loss of lift and likely crash. For your protection, the software limits the speed at which you can go straight down. If you want to go down faster, go back and forth during descent.

That is interesting... I did not know that. And the prop wash could explain the sound my Mavic Pro Platinum makes when it descends straight down a little over 22 mph in sport mode (I modified the firmware settings). It's fun to watch... falls like a rock, and the sound is a weird rumbling sound! You do have to be very careful to let off the gas within 100 feet of the ground.

I need to try the forward motion approach in sport to see if the speed increases.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rich QR
That is interesting... I did not know that. And the prop wash could explain the sound my Mavic Pro Platinum makes when descends straight down a little over 22 mph in sport mode (I modified the firmware settings). It's fun to watch... falls like a rock, and the sound is a weird rumbling sound! You do have to be very careful to let off the gas within 100 feet of the ground.

I need to try the forward motion approach in sport to see if the speed increases.
How do I modify my MA2 firmware settings to increase the rate of descent?

Look up a company called Drone Hacks...I wouldn't advise messing with it, in fact I don't believe they have progress after the Mavic 2 series on old firmware with much. But I don't follow them. If you did adjust something and it was logged and you tried to send it to DJI after a crash or failure they will say it is on your dime.

Last edited:
Only the older Mavics can be modified. That’s why I’ll never get rid of mine. If you want to mess around with hacking flight firmware, buy a used Mavic Pro or MPP.
Also, listen to @Repaid1.

What’s the fastest way to bring down the Mavic Air 2? I would assume using Sport mode and hitting the “down” stick fully. But descent rate seems slower than it should be.
I have no answer to your direct question. I will suggest that -whatever speed you're able to accomplish, you consider cancelling your descent far sooner than you perceive to be sufficient. I don't recall where I read -or heard- this, but stopping after descending at maximum requires 10 times the distance. ( of what, I don't recall !!@ ). The point is, the fastest way to stop is to accomplish an 'unintended landing'... I believe the comparison was comparing a maximum speed (stick down) of Sport Mode versus Normal/P Mode.

DJI went conservative with the descent rate. I would love more than 7 MPH.
What they're avoiding in vertical descent is called a "vortex ring state". It happens when the propellers are moving into their outflow, and causes a massive and unstable loss of lift. "Crashing" is the shorthand for it. You descend too fast, you get into a VRS, and that's that, fancy-smart FCU be damned.

When in a hurry to bring down the MA2 I use the down toggle while doing 360's if needing to bring it straight down...

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I am not going to pretend that this is a helpful answer, but the very fastest descent can be achieved with a control-stick cutoff, which kills the motors and sends your drone straight to the ground (crashes it).

Reactions: MA2 317 and Rich QR
but if I want to bring the drone straight down,
power off, full flaps, 45degree bank spiral ;) kidding of course but I'm pretty well satisfied with it's rate of descent. When would you want more? Approaching helicopter perhaps.

Reactions: MA2 317

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer