DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hit 33,087 feet in my Mini today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep but this would be far from an exceptional case. A guy and his dog having fun with an 8oz toy over Lake Okeechobee without a person in sight.

C’mon guys. Find something better to do with your time.
Oh people do all the time, the smart ones just dont brag or post videos on YT about it. The authorities would call that (self-incriminating) "evidence".

Oh people do all the time, the smart ones just dont brag or post videos on YT about it. The authorities would call that (self-incriminating) "evidence".
But the point you’re missing is no government agency gives a rat’s (Mod Removed )about an 8oz toy as it poses little to no risk to the general public. This is why they don’t even make you register it. Now if somebody was flying a 100lb drone over midtown Manhattan then maybe I could see your point.

Last edited by a moderator:
FAA regs apply to all SUAVs, regardless of weight. Even though you don’t have to register, you still have to follow the regs.
But, you will do as you please, because you are special, and rules somehow don’t apply to you.

FAA regs apply to all SUAVs, regardless of weight. Even though you don’t have to register, you still have to follow the regs.
But, you will do as you please, because you are special, and rules somehow don’t apply to you.
I never said they don’t apply to all SUAVs, what I said is from a safety standpoint they don’t care about a small 8oz toy. They’re concerned about much larger, heavier drones which can actually do harm to the public.

So you and all the other drone nazis in this thread are gonna sit there and claim that you’ve only flown with VLOS? Never once did you fly without it? Come on, you guys really need to find more productive things to do with your time. Oh and I’m sure you and everyone else obeys the speed limit at all times on the road too, right? You never go even 1 MPH over?

Reactions: Drgnfli
Shame on you guys for jumping to conclusions and falsely accusing me of breaking the law. I had the drone in sight the entire time with my Vector 23 binocular. I don’t fly anywhere without it.
Can you honestly say you were ignorant of the potential responses you might have expected when you opened this thread?

Fair assumption might be that you are entertained by people reactions. Reactions that you should expect given the current situation with drone regs and future proposals.

There is nothing special about this one way flight with respect to distance reached or any other aspect.
I never said they don’t apply to all SUAVs, what I said is from a safety standpoint they don’t care about a small 8oz toy. They’re concerned about much larger, heavier drones which can actually do harm to the public.

So you and all the other drone nazis in this thread are gonna sit there and claim that you’ve only flown with VLOS? Never once did you fly without it? Come on, you guys really need to find more productive things to do with your time. Oh and I’m sure you and everyone else obeys the speed limit at all times on the road too, right? You never go even 1 MPH over?
There is nothing special about this one way flight with respect to distance reached or any other aspect.

Can you honestly say you were ignorant of the potential responses you might have expected when you opened this thread?

Fair assumption might be that you are entertained by people reactions. Reactions that you should expect given the current situation with drone regs and future proposals.

If that's your thing so be it however it might suggest it is in fact you who could find something better to do than post your exploits here then complain about the reactions received.

If that's your thing so be it however it might suggest it is in fact you who could find something better to do than post your exploits here then complain about the reactions received.
Nothing special about the distance reached? DJI advertises a maximum range of 2.1 miles under ideal conditions. This was nearly 3X longer. The next longest flight I’ve seen for a MM (without serious modifications) was 18K feet and change. This was about 14-15K feet longer.

Again, nobody cares about flying an 8oz toy without VLOS except you and the other e-grannies. Nothing anyone does with a Mavic Mini is gonna change anything from a regulatory standpoint.

Nothing special about the distance reached? DJI advertises a maximum range of 2.1 miles under ideal conditions. This was nearly 3X longer. The next longest flight I’ve seen for a MM (without serious modifications) was 18K feet and change. This was about 14-15K feet longer.

Again, nobody cares about flying an 8oz toy without VLOS except you and the other e-grannies. Nothing anyone does with a Mavic Mini is gonna change anything from a regulatory standpoint.
Ok- so we are clear. I’m not telling you what you should do or not do.

All I am saying is that it is foolish to expect you might not receive the comments you do from those who have concerns about the consequences.

Ok- so we are clear. I’m not telling you what you should do or not do.

All I am saying is that it is foolish to expect you might not receive the comments you do from those who have concerns about the consequences.
Expected or unexpected, it doesn’t change the fact that you guys need to find more constructive things to do with your time.

So every time you’ve flown a drone you’ve had VLOS at all times? If not, doesn’t that make you (and the others) a hypocrite?
Why do you keep pointing fingers? This is not about me or the others here who disapprove of your actions. It’s about you blatantly and knowingly violating FAA regs, then bragging about it on a public forum.
You are part of the reason the regs are tightening. If you can’t see that, there is little hope that we can change your behavior.
I have spoken.

Why do you keep pointing fingers? This is not about me or the others here who disapprove of your actions. It’s about you blatantly and knowingly violating FAA regs, then bragging about it on a public forum.
You are part of the reason the regs are tightening. If you can’t see that, there is little hope that we can change your behavior.
I have spoken.
Can you answer the question?

Ok guys here it is from guideline # 15
it is not the responsibility of the community owners, moderators or community members to police and enforce these rules and regulations. Any violation of another community rule, even if in the context of attempting to help enforce flying laws and regulations, is prohibited.
So if this continues as it is do not be surprise if your post is
deleted and you get a warning. You have all made your point
so no more.
Keep it civil guys. If you can’t just walk on by.

Ok guys here it is from guideline # 15

So if this continues as it is do not be surprise if your post is
deleted and you get a warning. You have all made your point
so no more.
Keep it civil guys. If you can’t just walk on by.
You have a difficult role here- no question.

The other community rule that might apply here is 15.

12. Trolling and cyber stalking are not allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.

Any one who has spent more than 5 minutes around he can see what response they might get to a thread of this nature. It simply causes unnecessary disharmony.

Why not just move it to one of the long range forums? People know what to expect in there.

It’s light but it’s no shuttlecock.... it’s gonna sting. ?I know I know

OP, now that you have been beat up by everyone here, I will congratulate you on your very cool, yet controversial, feat. Bet you didn't think you would stir up a hornet's nest. Just take a couple spotters next time you try a one way trip. Good luck.
cool pics

Last edited:
Reactions: Steelrumor
I must say I’m amazed by the Magic Mini’s range! I flew it 33,087 feet alongside Lake Okeechobee, FL today. That’s 6.266 miles, 10,085 meters and 10.08 kilometers.

I wound up landing it next to the bike path and walked 5 miles to get it. When I got to it, the battery was completely dead, so the “beeping and flashing” option did not work. I’m thinking about putting some filet mignon juice on the drone just before the flight so my dog Boone, a Foxhound, can help me retrieve it on future suicide flights. ?
Sounds like a perfect place to fly, is the whole red algae thing done with?

Reactions: Capt KO
Why not just move it to one of the long range forums? People know what to expect in there.
Because it’s to much clutter in this to move it to the leader
board. So what I am going to do is just shut this thread down.
@Skiiingwonderz any more distance runs please post them
here.
Thanks

CLOSED.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members