DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HLG vrs D-Log M

RexAsh

Reactions
Can anybody tell me which is better, D-Log M or HLG. I know they are both 10-bit color formats, I haven’t done any color grading with D-Log M yet but notice the difference between normal and HLG without editing. Is color grading D-Log M like color grading a RAW photo? Thanks in advance for any advice and tips!

There is no “beter” in this. It depends on how you want to structure your work flow, and what your final deliverable is. HLG is targeted at deliverables to HDR TVs capable and calibrated to that standard.

D-Log is a more general format designed to capture pixels better distributed for grading to the response characteristics of the human eye.

No. RAW is the raw sensor data with no attempt to interpret it via software. D-log footage is processed sensor data with the processing taking the raw sensor data and using a logarithmic curve to it to provide better digital gradation in the dark areas of the image.

Reactions: NoBozos
This is a topic that can get quite "deep". There are many flavors of "raw", "log", and "hlg" as well as 4:2:0 bit. In the simplest of terms, RAW has the least processing done in camera, Log the next least, followed by HLG and finally 4:2:0 8 bit which is basically delivery ready. Log records brightness using a logarithmic algorithm compressing the dynamic range. For me, it was necessary to do color grading on all forms to get a good sense of the differences. Raw allows me the most latitude in "developing" the image. The most control over not only brightness but color as well, e.g. both luminous and gamma. Camera sensors play a great roll in these differences as well.

Reactions: Felix le Chat
No. RAW is the raw sensor data with no attempt to interpret it via software. D-log footage is processed sensor data with the processing taking the raw sensor data and using a logarithmic curve to it to provide better digital gradation in the dark areas of the image.
While a RAW photo is not the same as LOG video as you point out, I would say that the answer to the OP's question is basically yes, editing LOG footage is effectively the video version of editing a RAW photo. There's a technical difference but the process is essentially the same.

While a RAW photo is not the same as LOG video as you point out, I would say that the answer to the OP's question is basically yes, editing LOG footage is effectively the video version of editing a RAW photo. There's a technical difference but the process is essentially the same.
Ok, Thanks for the clarification!

Eyes detect subtleties better in darker areas better than bright ones. So logarithmic compression takes advantage of this.

(And so far my “corrections/grades” of dlog-m look truly nauseating. Been using FCP. Will go to Resolve. )

A bit late to the game here, but while these answers are technically correct you might still be thinking what's the point?
Forgetting raw, in practice there's 2 reasons for shooting log.
1. Due to the log curve and squishing of the dynamic range you can underexpose to be sure not to clip out all that beautiful cloud detail, while also not clipping out the darker areas into black. find the perfect balance in post.
2. Although log formats are supposed to be tools to help with getting more dynamic range onto your sd card, it's become trendy to keep that washed out look with the lifted shadows.

HLG is good for this too, but if you're not going for HDR displays, log is probably the better choice.

Both format's 10bit range help tremendously with color grading later. (pro Mac tip, convert H265 to Prores 422HQ before edit)

Trochu pozdě do hry, ale i když jsou tyto odpovědi technicky správné, možná si stále říkáte, jaký to má smysl?
Zapomínáme na syrové, v praxi existují 2 důvody pro střelbu.
1. Díky log křivce a zmáčknutí dynamického rozsahu můžete podexponovat, abyste si byli jisti, že nevystřihnete všechny ty krásné detaily mraků a zároveň neoříznete tmavší oblasti do černa. najít dokonalou rovnováhu v příspěvku.
2. Ačkoli formáty protokolů mají být nástroji, které vám pomohou získat více dynamického rozsahu na vaší SD kartě, stalo se trendem zachovat tento vybledlý vzhled se zvednutými stíny.

I na to je HLG dobré, ale pokud se nechystáte na HDR displeje, log je pravděpodobně lepší volba.

10bitový rozsah obou formátů ohromně pomáhá s pozdějším stupňováním barev. (pro Mac tip, před úpravou převeďte H265 na Prores 422HQ)
Dobrý den, proč by dobré logo nemohlo být u videa v HDR? Nebo to nějak souvisí s tím, že DJI mini 4 pro nahrává logo v Rec.709. Díky za odpověď

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas