DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HOA vs FAA ?

They can not stop fly overs as noted in dozens of post here, but they can stop you from landing and lunching even on your own property in an HOA. Just like in some HOAs you can't have a work truck parked in driveway, or put up a private flag. etc.

They can regulate where you stand, launch and land, probably even on your own property, but they cannot control fly over.

I would agree with their liability clause. One would think that's understood without having to be spelled out.

HOAs tend to be overbearing. I wouldn't live in one because of that, as well as the high fees.

I have to comment on HOAs. I was once president of one for several years. It is one of the most unthankful positions to have.
If you would never live in a neighborhood with one then you would not mind if 1. Someone bought a bus and parked it in front of their house or in their driveway. 2. If a neighbor painted their whole house black or purple. 3. if a gas station near your entrance was serving alcohol to minors and letting people loiter on the property and drink, harrass customers, when the city did nothing. (We took their alcohol license.) 4. if a neighbor builds a carport in front of their house. 5. If a neighbor decides to build another house in their large yard or a condo to rent.

It goes on and on with crazy things homeowners will try to do.

I agree some can be overly powerful or lusting for control. Yet, most rules are to preserve the integrity of those living there so close together. It can get out of control, though, such as telling people to take down their American flags and getting picky about where trees are.

There have been crazy drone operators that really have gone into neighbors' yards, looked down over pools, even looked into windows. Society makes rules to try to keep us cordial with each other as much as possible. But the power to make rules gets out of control, too.

Let's see the filed Deed Restrictions and Covenants? If it's not in writing there and it wasn't put up for a vote to the members (permissible usage), screw them. Just keep it high enough that they can't really hear the props, and/ or get the quieter props from Master Air Screw that they have for the Mavic Pro. It made my MP almost as quiet as my M2P.

All jokes aside about both CA and HOAs, they have no jurisdiction as long as the AC doesn't touch the ground within their jurisdiction and you are not controlling the AC from their jurisdiction. That being said, if you launch and land from another property and they find out it is you they will probably make your life a living hell. That's what fascists tend to do.
Well , speaking for myself, I would launch and retrieve off the property , fly over the neighborhood and if thay said anything I would tell them to take a long walk on a short pier. But, to qualify that, I am old and dont give a s---.

I have to comment on HOAs. I was once president of one for several years. It is one of the most unthankful positions to have.
If you would never live in a neighborhood with one then you would not mind if 1. Someone bought a bus and parked it in front of their house or in their driveway. 2. If a neighbor painted their whole house black or purple. 3. if a gas station near your entrance was serving alcohol to minors and letting people loiter on the property and drink, harrass customers, when the city did nothing. (We took their alcohol license.) 4. if a neighbor builds a carport in front of their house. 5. If a neighbor decides to build another house in their large yard or a condo to rent.

I agree some can be overly powerful or lusting for control. Yet, most rules are to preserve the integrity of those living there so close together. It can get out of control, though, such as telling people to take down their American flags and getting picky about where trees are.

There have been crazy drone operators that really have gone into neighbors' yards, looked down over pools, even looked into windows. Society makes rules to try to keep us cordial with each other as much as possible. But the power to make rules gets out of control, too.
Much of what you mentioned is covered by laws, including zoning laws, and ordinances.
Like selling alcohol to minors. Really?

I think the optimum word here is "Homeowner" not tennant or serf. I have delt with HOA's and have found that most have a knot in there polyester.

I'd sit in my house and fly out the window just to tick them off. Bring it back in the window and and what can they say. Oh hey I saw a drone fly in your window. You did, I didn't see anything :rolleyes: :D ;) I'm old to and don't give a rats butt

Because if a drone crashes into a roof, creates a multi-building 10 alarm blaze from a gas leak explosion, people lose tons of money, lives injured or lost, probably some will go bankrupt, etc. It's the same precautions as when people see what happens after people die from smoking, when people see the accidents from people who wear no seatbelt, the same as when people see guns after mass shootings, etc.

People lose money because the neighborhood would look ugly for a while. It would drop sales, and drop the assessment values of the community. People's bank interest rates wouldn't be as low, you know..

Last edited:
Yes, launching from the HOA would be a problem which they would get in your face. But the FAA controls the airspace. Me, I would find the nearest public sidewalk outside the HOA and fly where ever you want over them at a nice distance up. No reason to appear intrusive.

I'd sit in my house and fly out the window just to tick them off. Bring it back in the window and and what can they say. Oh hey I saw a drone fly in your window. You did, I didn't see anything :rolleyes: :D ;) I'm old to and don't give a rats butt
You are quite the rebel. That would make an awesome video.

Like I tell my sons, "You can do things and be in the 'right' but, OH, what a price you could pay to be 'right' and even win a battle in court". Best to pick a position which is so important you'd make the sacrifice.

I hate HOA's and everything they stand for, it will be a cold day in ... when someone tells me what I can or can't do on my own property.

I know what you mean. I have reservations too. But, understand the irony. The fundamental purpose of the HOA is to protect the herd againt free spirited interlopers who think they can do whatever they want on their own property.

The HOA is intended to preserve property values and reduce crime. For example, studies have shown that alllowing different people to use different sizes and colors of garbage cans on same curb tends to attract a criminal element which may reduce property values.

1571706899432.png

Reactions: AntDX316
I know what you mean. I have reservations too. But, understand the irony. The fundamental purpose of the HOA is to protect the herd againt free spirited interlopers who think they can do whatever they want on their own property.

The HOA is intended to preserve property values and reduce crime. For example, studies have shown that alllowing different people to use different sizes and colors of garbage cans on same curb tends to attract a criminal element which may reduce property values.

View attachment 83950

The uniform experience makes it better because when people's minds warp it can change for the worse. Having things more organized can make it more predictable for businesses. Basically, keeping things in check.

Interlopers ? The bear definatly has criminal intent. I , however dont understand warped minds (probably me) or keeping things in check. You guys ,definatly, need to get off the porch, put on a loud shirt and short pants and get out and experiance a broader view of life. It's to short to stay in check.

Reactions: Chip
The uniform experience makes it better because when people's minds warp it can change for the worse. Having things more organized can make it more predictable for businesses. Basically, keeping things in check.
Brainwashed minds

Actually an HOA can tell you what you can do on your own property, as long as the requirement is legal. If the HOA has a rule that you cannot fly a drone from your property, they can enforce that. They just cannot make a rule against use of public airspace. Again, there is a difference between making a rule on a person on the ground and making a rule governing airspace.
Indeed! The HOA has no jurisdiction over a nonresident flying over the community, but they certainly have jurisdiction over all the residents of the community. As a resident, they can still fine you for flying over the community, even if it is otherwise completely legal. If the HOA adopts such a rule, all residents the community then become subject to it.

Once you cross the HOA, they can use their discretionary powers to revoke privileges and put you under a microscope for any and all possible violation of the CC&R's, including rejecting any completely independent requests that require their approval. You can't fight city hall, and you can't fight the HOA! They have all the power and the financial deep pockets to bury you!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman