DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hobbyist Drone use killed?

I see. So you are comfortable flying at 400 ft AGL within 5 miles of airport (assuming that you are working under current Section 336) rules, and can't be bothered to notify the airport. You may or may not be in luck when the new law is codified - possibly you will be in uncontrolled airspace and won't be breaking the law any more.

Most of the time I'm down low or just about the trees - I can only really see it well when it's at 200 feet , but, sure, I'll go to 400 feet once in a while. I've never even seen a plane when I had the drone out.

Most of the time I'm down low or just about the trees - I can only really see it well when it's at 200 feet , but, sure, I'll go to 400 feet once in a while. I've never even seen a plane when I had the drone out.

If you are that far from any air traffic, why not just be a responsible and considerate aviator and notify the airport operator that you will occasionally be flying low and away from the runway extended centerlines, and well below the pattern altitude.

Reactions: dawgpilot
If you are that far from any air traffic, why not just be a responsible and considerate aviator and notify the airport operator that you will occasionally be flying low and away from the runway extended centerlines, and well below the pattern altitude.

Notification I don't have a problem with , permission is where I draw the line.

Notification I don't have a problem with , permission is where I draw the line.

If you are a recreational pilot then you are not required to ask for permission. Perhaps you should learn about the laws and regulations before proudly declaring that you are going to break them.

If you are a recreational pilot then you are not required to ask for permission. Perhaps you should learn about the laws and regulations before proudly declaring that you are going to break them.

Fair enough

Fair enough

For now LOL (I couldn't help myself)

Last year on Memorial Day I notified ATCT that I was going to fly at a spot just at outside the 1 mile line and it was no problem, now DJI has changed the layout of the NFZ and says I can't fly there now but airmap says its still ok to fly . So can I get around the DJI software?

Attachments

• Airmap veiw.png
    Airmap veiw.png
    218.1 KB · Views: 17
  • DVA to Pin Peak DJI NFZ.jpg
    DVA to Pin Peak DJI NFZ.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 17
  • DVA to Pin Peak.jpg
    DVA to Pin Peak.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 16
When you get a CDL driver’s license, it doesn’t matter what size vehicle you drive. They expect you to abide by the rules if you’re driving your car, or a 18 wheeler. This is completely understandable, knowing how there isn’t an authorization to see if your BAC is the right level for driving your car vs. a truck.

Now, look at the possible ramifications of flying your drone near an airport.

You decide not to call, and someone has an engine stall while flying, and will need to descend into airspace under 400 AGL to make it, further out than they normally would descend under 500.

You call in and ask permission, the airport is going to know where people are flying, get notifications about where not to fly, if say a life flight needs to occur, and you’re worried about your rights to fly a freaking recreational drone?

Your playtime is more important than someone’s safety? How shallow do you have to be to presume your entertainment takes precedence over someone’s well being? Would be pretty entertaining if you had a Midair collision and ended up being the reason more than 1 person died on that life flight.

Get a grip on reality and stop being so narrow minded.

So, if I want to buzz around the neighborhood which is outside the 5 mile rule do I need to notify the nearest airport?
Thank you!

I'm NOT a lawyer but it seems the chicken farmer ruling didn't really address Private Property Air Space. It keeps coming up because it in fact reaffirms that Navigable Air Space is Public Right of Way. The constant noise and disruption, day and night, with no end in sight, made it imposable for the farmer to use his land. THAT was the ruling. The eighty-three feet altitude is just a point of fact that -Yes, the noise of a four engine heavy bomber at that altitude indeed has the potential to be disruptive. The farmer concedes the airport was there when he bought the farm, but the infrequent use by light aircraft was not a problem for him. (Note: Had he been just to the left or right of the approach, with NO ONE actually violating the air space directly above his land, these new levels of noise and disruption would have still made it imposable for him to use his land as he intended.) It goes on to state that Trains, Tractors and now Air Planes are something chickens will need to get used to. BUT this level of unrelenting noise and disruption caused by the Governments NEW activity made his land unusable therefore it was a 'taking' of his land and he had to be compensated. Not only did it NOT rule on the airspace issue, it points out that navigable air space is public right of way just like navigable waterways, and left it at that.

Last edited:
Reactions: sgrinavi
I saw a video blog the other day regarding this and I believe it to be pretty close to 100% accurate. Big corporate companies such as Amazon are attempting to gain control over the airspace below 400ft so that they can fly their commercial drones in that space. By getting the FAA to be in charge of regulating that space as well it gives the big companies more of a chance to get their services off the ground (pardon the pun). Keeping hobbyist drone flying out of that space makes sure a non-commercial flyer doesn't take out one of their drones.

So, if I want to buzz around the neighborhood which is outside the 5 mile rule do I need to notify the nearest airport?
Thank you!

Depends on the airspace class you’re flying in. Use the geo space portion of the app, or listen to the suggestion from the dji go app, it if it prompts you a warning.

Remember, you are the one who is responsible to know what rules you need to follow when you fly in the area you are at. Negligence is not a valid way out of breaking law.

Reactions: jmcrash
There are 4 pages here on driving cars and personal freedoms. Back to the initial question.....
1) Does anyone know what the new regulations will be? Or is everything total speculation at this point?
2) How will this information be provided to the public? Is there a specific web page I should check weekly for example? Or will the FAA send out an email to everyone's email that registered a drone - I doubt it but I wanted another example! :)

There are 4 pages here on driving cars and personal freedoms. Back to the initial question.....
1) Does anyone know what the new regulations will be? Or is everything total speculation at this point?
2) How will this information be provided to the public? Is there a specific web page I should check weekly for example? Or will the FAA send out an email to everyone's email that registered a drone - I doubt it but I wanted another example! :)

The FAA should be posting any new regulations on their website: Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)

Reactions: tleedom and BigAl07
Flying a sUAS is not a RIGHT given to you. It's a privilege and as such we have rules and regulations in order to keep our NAS safe and the best in the world. Your actions will eventually catch up with you either by an incident or by a fellow R/C enthusiast reporting your actions.

It blows my mind how you think you're ABOVE the law in any way what so ever. I sincerely hope you live no where near any type of airport.
I gotta say that having to ask permission to fly over my own land, is unacceptably burdensome. I will comply because I don't want to face prosecution, but it is not acceptable. I live near a newly opened commercial airport and no plane should be below 400 feet over my house. If I stay below 200, there will be no issues.

The problem with may issue permission based systems is that all a hater has to do to infringe my rights is nothing. As for it being a privilege, BS. Using my property on my property is my right.

I gotta say that having to ask permission to fly over my own land, is unacceptably burdensome. I will comply because I don't want to face prosecution, but it is not acceptable. I live near a newly opened commercial airport and no plane should be below 400 feet over my house. If I stay below 200, there will be no issues.

The problem with may issue permission based systems is that all a hater has to do to infringe my rights is nothing. As for it being a privilege, BS. Using my property on my property is my right.

Airspace is PUBLIC property. If you drive on a highway directly in front of your property you follow all those rules etc correct?

Reactions: sar104 and tleedom

You can also setup a written agreement with the airport making sure you understand how their airspace is used, and how you’ll navigate around those limitations, to streamline your use.

I did a little research from reading this thread. Some of the people who are adomantly upset about having to get permission every time should see what provisions are given to those who live close to the airspace.

Airspace is PUBLIC property. If you drive on a highway directly in front of your property you follow all those rules etc correct?
Above 500 feet, sure. Are you saying that my house, which stands in the public airspace below 500 feet, and my trees, which are over 80 feet into this public airspace, only are allowed to exist by the generosity of the FAA?

I get the need for a reasonable public airspace easement. But there is no reasonable need for the FAA to control airspace below 200 feet over residential property.

As for local airports, they don't want to be bothered. I now have three in my five mile range and only one would even return my calls. They told me to inform via email and not call. When these folks shirk their duties now, they will be harming me and preventing my safe and lawful use of my property.

My assertion is that notify and respect reasonable requests not to fly is the right way to go. The new standard is unreasonable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute