DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Home Location off by a few feet

There is nothing you can calibrate that wil make any difference to landing precision.

I disagree. Whenever flying in a new location I will recalibrate almost everything on the drone and phone (compass).

When I haven't done this, occasionally, I've found the drone landing off by a feet meters using RTH. No big problem as the drone is always in site anyway but just to feel as though things are operating as they should I like to see it land with precision.

I disagree. Whenever flying in a new location I will recalibrate almost everything on the drone and phone (compass).

When I haven't done this, occasionally, I've found the drone landing off by a feet meters using RTH. No big problem as the drone is always in site anyway but just to feel as though things are operating as they should I like to see it land with precision.
You only think this because you don't understand what calibrating the compass and IMU actually does.
If you did understand, you'd know two things.
1. Neither have any influence on anything that would improve the precision of your RTH autolanding
2. It's completely unnecessary to recalibrate the compass and IMU when flying from a new location.
You are wasting your time and effort and not doing anything to improve your flight safety.
Your flying would be safer if you learned what those things do (and cannot do) rather than recalibrating as a preflight superstitious ritual.

I'd suggest reading post #7 for a start to learn why your RTH autolanding precision varies.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip on hovering at 11-14 feet. I’ve been hovering at the initial takeoff altitude of around 4 feet under the assumption that it would take a photo of my landing pad. Didn’t realize it needs to be a bit higher.

By the way, my last 2 flights returned perfectly to my pad even when hovering at 4 feet first.

Manual indicates higher:

"b. During takeoff, the aircraft must ascend vertically 7 m before moving horizontally."

Reactions: MaverickMavicMark
Not sure of the differences between the Mavic Pro and the Air 2 flight software but my Pro's RTH point will not be as near as accurate without selecting precision takeoff and allowing the takeoff cycle to complete. The way I read the instructions was that "standard" return to home used the GPS and IMU data to calculate the RTH point. When using the precision takeoff and landing the bottom cameras photograph the take off point as it ascends to about 19 then hovers. It then uses the GPS and IMU data to get close and the camera to get "on the spot" when returning automatically.

I also believe it must use some of the compass data as well, as when returning to home automatically my Mavic always turns to the same heading as it took off from. Unless it is unusually windy, it has always returned to within inches of the takeoff point, even then it's never been more than a foot off.

If you take ur drone to 10 feet and let it take a pic. When u do RTH it will say precision landing in progress. That's the way to know if drone will land at right place or not. Also precision landing is very slow,

Reactions: Flynz
Using your return home should be you last resort for some reasons but it should also be used to check to see if you need check your compass and IMU settings to if you need to do a reset.
It should also be used to check to see if you device settings is correct.
Using a check list should also include doing a test "return home" to see if any of your settings or surrounding area will have an effect on your drone.
You can also update you "Home point" anytime you want to.
Since this is a DJI fail safe in case something goes wrong but they also give you a choice to turn it off.
Agree. Yeh, I sometimes RTH to get overhead or close at altitude but always cancel and land manually. I frequently fly close to large objects and can't stand the stress of hoping the the precision landing is precise. I tend to fly a descending approach to low a hover then land rather than drop straight down. It's more fun anyway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett