DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Home point not there at times

I’m sure my mini3pro RC used to update its home point before I took off before but now the icon is red until after takeoff then it say’s home point created. Any idea?
I sometimes get that when there aren't enough satellites to establish a proper GPS fix. Also, if there is strong magnetic interference from nearby metal (cars, buildings, etc.) or even rebar in concrete, can delay acquisition of the home point.

I’m sure my mini3pro RC used to update its home point before I took off before but now the icon is red until after takeoff then it say’s home point created. Any idea?

Also, if you are flying a distance away from wherever you last flew, it will take longer to get a fix. Regardless, it is imperative that you not fly anywhere until you get the "home point is updated" message - if you do, you risk your drone doing odd things. I lost a drone due to poor GPS fix - I learned the hard way.

Reactions: stooge75
I sometimes get that when there aren't enough satellites to establish a proper GPS fix. Also, if there is strong magnetic interference from nearby metal (cars, buildings, etc.) or even rebar in concrete, can delay acquisition of the home point.
I doubt it’s anything to do with satellites as I had 22. I just tried again and it says homepoint updated but the little icon up top is STILL red until it just lifts off then it turns white

Also, if you are flying a distance away from wherever you last flew, it will take longer to get a fix. Regardless, it is imperative that you not fly anywhere until you get the "home point is updated" message - if you do, you risk your drone doing odd things. I lost a drone due to poor GPS fix - I learned the hard way.
But that’s just it,I get the white homepoint icon but just after I liftoff

The home point is updated after the drone connects to so many satellites. The reason I know this is that whenever I boot up the drone and RC controller, I wait until I get green color on the satellite connection(somewhere around 20 satellites) then the RC controller tells me the home point has been updated.

How?

These things do not interfere with GPS radio signals any more than they do any other RF.

Also, if you are flying a distance away from wherever you last flew, it will take longer to get a fix.

True, but that's a pretty big radius from the last fix acquired, about 100km.

How?

These things do not interfere with GPS radio signals any more than they do any other RF.
Sure - but magnetic interference messes with the onboard compass which will also cause a failure to update the homepoint.

Sure - but magnetic interference messes with the onboard compass which will also cause a failure to update the homepoint.

Didn't know that, as the compass isn't necessary to determine location.

I'm going from memory, but I think the home point is recorded after starting the motors, and they won't start if there's too much magnetic interference making the compass wonky.

GPS is completely independent of the compass and the compass has nothing to do with homepoint recording.
Magnetic interference can cause some problems, but it won't cause a failure of the homepoint record properly.

I'm going from memory, but I think the home point is recorded after starting the motors
Motors not necessary.
Just power up and watch the satellites lock in.

GPS is completely independent of the compass and the compass has nothing to do with homepoint recording.
Magnetic interference can cause some problems, but it won't cause a failure of the homepoint record properly.

Motors not necessary.
Just power up and watch the satellites lock in.

Yup... just tested it on the Mini3P, indoors no less. As soon as I had enough sats for the indicator to turn white, I got the home point updated verbal message.

Oddly, it took another 5 seconds more before the "Fly with caution (no GPS)" message changed. Not thinking anything of it one time, could have been Android.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown