DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Home point reset question

AZDave

Reactions
I know that if I land my drone some distance away from me that the drone will reset its home point when I take off again, but does the drone still know the GPS coordinates of the controller? In other words, does the controller have a separate GPS receiver?

Or does the controller simply use the GPS in whatever is running the DJI Fly app?

GPS location is for the drone, NOT the controller.

GPS location is for the drone, NOT the controller.

Well that's what I thought, and if you're correct doesn't that somewhat limit the usefulness of things like Remote ID and Aeroscope? Somebody could fly a couple of kilometers away, land the drone, and take off again. Monitors would know where the drone is but not where the pilot is.

Of course I suppose the assumption is that I would want my drone back and eventually fly it to me, thereby revealing my position, but that also assumes I'd have no nefarious purpose behind doing so in the first place. Anyone who intended to do something significantly bad wouldn't be all that concerned about getting the drone back.

If you turn it on and launch quickly and fly back toward you I wonder if it will fail to update the home point, thus potentially leaving the HP untouched?

If you turn it on and launch quickly and fly back toward you I wonder if it will fail to update the home point, thus potentially leaving the HP untouched?
No.
When the drone is turned off, it loses any homepoint that it had.
When you restart, it has no homepoint until it gets good GPS location data.

Last edited:

The people who have done that by accident or impatience usually have the drone update its "home point" at some random location along whatever path it flew after takeoff. Some have lost their drones after it tried to auto RTH (low battery, lost signal, etc) because they didn't know where that "home point" was.

does the controller have a separate GPS receiver?
With the phone's GPS and location services switched off try resetting the home point to the controller's position, by pressing the the controller icon on the 'resetting map'.
Does it fail with a warning about the phone's location services being switch off? I recollect it does.
If so switch them and the phone's GPS on and see what happens, I recollect that the attempt will then work. I.e. the controller's position is determined using the phone's location and the phone's GPS etc..

The drone has it’s own GPS receiver, and uses that for waypoints. The tablet may also have aGPS receiver which is used for it’s location, and allows the map to display both the drone’s position, and the tablet’s position making it much easier to fly home manually.

If your phone or tablet has GPS (90% of them have it) then your position should be marked in the map as a blue dot. Open settings, find Set your home point, click on it, on the map touch the RC icon, it will show your position, click on it to set you Home point.
Other way is.Open the map screen, find your position (blue dot), point your drone towards your position and fly directly to the blue dot. Same thing can be done with the Attitud indicator.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54